Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on June 05, 2022, 02:43:47 PMThat seems so absolutely ridiculous.

One would think that in this day and age, the problem governments have is that they cannot ever really conceal what is happening, at least not in a large scale war.
You don't have to conceal, you can just drown people in bullshit.  If you can't conceal your heat signature, shoot a dozen flares instead.  Apart from that, we've also learned (or rather fully grasped) that facts presented selectively, intentionally or just due to the nature of things, can misinform more than inform.  I think the idea that the Internet would inform the world has been dead for at least a decade by now.

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on June 05, 2022, 08:53:53 PMArestovych, who seems to be de facto second in command in Ukraine, gloated a couple of days ago that Severodonetsk was a trap for Russians.  Supposedly Ukrainians evacuated the city and lured the Russians in, so that they could be pummeled by artillery from the high ground surrounding the city, and also be forced to fight costly urban battles.
Goes quite counter to what I heard elsewhere. That the Ukrainians had to retreat from there taking great losses and losing a lot of heavy equipment.

Saying that is a good way to get the Russians paranoid about their attack I suppose.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on June 05, 2022, 09:07:12 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 05, 2022, 02:43:47 PMThat seems so absolutely ridiculous.

One would think that in this day and age, the problem governments have is that they cannot ever really conceal what is happening, at least not in a large scale war.
You don't have to conceal, you can just drown people in bullshit.  If you can't conceal your heat signature, shoot a dozen flares instead.  Apart from that, we've also learned (or rather fully grasped) that facts presented selectively, intentionally or just due to the nature of things, can misinform more than inform.  I think the idea that the Internet would inform the world has been dead for at least a decade by now.
I was talking more about the prevalence of satellite imagery and drones to collect information.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Latest news I'm seeing is that Ukrainians have retaken most of Severodonetsk, supposedly after inflicting heavy losses on the Russians inside.  I think this lays credence to the claim that it was a trap.  Ukrainians in general seem to bluff very sparingly with their claims, unlike the Russians who kill every famous fighter on Ukrainians side at least three times.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on June 06, 2022, 01:32:15 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 05, 2022, 09:07:12 PM

I was talking more about the prevalence of satellite imagery and drones to collect information.
I see.  I think that in this case, there is no neutral party with the capability and the desire to both collect and disseminate information collected with satellites or drones.  The Western powers are probably observing very closely, but they aren't going to release information that Ukraine doesn't want released, and Ukraine isn't going to endanger itself for the sake of us being objectively informed.

celedhring

Zelensky visited the Donbass yesterday, reportedly pretty damn close to the front line (Lysychansk). Seems a bit reckless - and I guess it also points to how the Russians are pretty blind in this whole thing, if  he was able to do it unmolested - but gotta be good for those troops' morale. Certainly can't see Vlad doing it.

Solmyr

Zelensky was in Kyiv while it was being shelled, a few kilometers from the Russian forces, so it's not new to him.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

UK sending MLRS and munitions to Ukraine - apparently this was closely coordinated with the US sending HIMARS. Both appear to have been conditional on some form of guarantee from Ukraine that they will not be used against targets in Russian territory.

I think it's probably the right decision.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Ukrainians notched up another Russian general yesterday.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 06, 2022, 06:24:27 AMUK sending MLRS and munitions to Ukraine - apparently this was closely coordinated with the US sending HIMARS. Both appear to have been conditional on some form of guarantee from Ukraine that they will not be used against targets in Russian territory.

I think it's probably the right decision.

Yeah. Hope they get enough of them to outrange and outgun the Russians.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

The odds are towards Xmas I'll probably have to adjust the thread title to " + 2022-23 Invasion " ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on June 06, 2022, 04:32:56 PMThe odds are towards Xmas I'll probably have to adjust the thread title to " + 2022-23 Invasion " ?

Honestly you should just change it to Russo-Ukrainian war 2014-2020.  The war never stopped, it just slowed down in the middle.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

The evening standard keeps popping up when I search for Ukraine news and they're permanent optimists on things going well for Ukraine...
But they do report in a article today I note that Russia is apparently running out of artillery ammo.
A bit easier to replace than smart weapons one would think but its a wonder. In Russia anyrhing is possible.
██████
██████
██████