Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

God damn, the kraut greens are the envy of the world. Ours are totally insane.

Duque de Bragança

They're still crap with NIMBY as well, but the less worse variety.
Their refusal of nuclear is one of the reasons why Putin has such a leverage on Germany.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on June 05, 2022, 01:13:27 AM@Sheilbh: Just saw a survey that in the context of the current war, for the first time ever, a majority of Germans is in favor of stationing American nuclear weapons in Germany (52%). The biggest support is among Green voters (64%).  :lol:
:lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

El País is reporting that Spain is willing to send our Leo2's in storage if Germany approves the transfer.

Crews would be trained in Latvia.

Berkut

Why does Germany have to approve Spain sending tanks to Ukraine?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on June 05, 2022, 08:47:31 AMWhy does Germany have to approve Spain sending tanks to Ukraine?
I think all arms-exporting countries maintain control over the re-export of weapons/need to give approval. Presumably in part to keep IP and national security among countries you've vetted for that product, but also to not end up indirectly arming, say, Iran or Ethiopia.
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 05, 2022, 08:52:43 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 05, 2022, 08:47:31 AMWhy does Germany have to approve Spain sending tanks to Ukraine?
I think all arms-exporting countries maintain control over the re-export of weapons/need to give approval. Presumably in part to keep IP and national security among countries you've vetted for that product, but also to not end up indirectly arming, say, Iran or Ethiopia.
I suppose that makes sense - I am sure the US maybe might have some kind of agreement with Saudi Arabia that they cannot resell our Abrams to Russia....

0 rows returned

Zanza

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 05, 2022, 08:16:13 AMTheir refusal of nuclear is one of the reasons why Putin has such a leverage on Germany.
Electricity production only takes like 12% (IIRC) of the gas imports. Much more is used for chemical or industrial processes and home heating. And the uranium for German nuclear powerplants - like in many European countries (not France) - came from Rosatom. So our nuclear industry was also dependent on Russia.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on June 05, 2022, 10:12:48 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 05, 2022, 08:16:13 AMTheir refusal of nuclear is one of the reasons why Putin has such a leverage on Germany.
Electricity production only takes like 12% (IIRC) of the gas imports. Much more is used for chemical or industrial processes and home heating. And the uranium for German nuclear powerplants - like in many European countries (not France) - came from Rosatom. So our nuclear industry was also dependent on Russia.

Germany being more of an energy mess than commonly thought does not exonerate the local Greens for their long-running completely illogical to nuclear power.

Legbiter

Ukrainian high command is claiming that the entire 35th combined arms army has been pretty much wiped out by a Ukrainian counterattack in Severodonetsk. The total claimed casualty figures of KIA and WIA Russians is approaching numbers the Finns would have found acceptable back in WW II. Interesting if true because the Russians staked a lot on taking the town.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Also I think the German government should extend the life of the nuclear plants for a while and I do find the Green position a little incoherent (although I am kind of here for a yes to nuclear weapons, no to nuclear weapons program :lol:). But it wasn't their decision - I think it was a CDU-FDP coalition at that point.

I think the doubling down on Russia pipeline gas is the more problematic energy policy but one that, from my understanding, the Greens were the most critical about.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Legbiter on June 05, 2022, 12:41:03 PMUkrainian high command is claiming that the entire 35th combined arms army has been pretty much wiped out by a Ukrainian counterattack in Severodonetsk. The total claimed casualty figures of KIA and WIA Russians is approaching numbers the Finns would have found acceptable back in WW II. Interesting if true because the Russians staked a lot on taking the town.

Hope so. Reliable news has been hard to come by in recent weeks. God knows what's happening anymore.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: Josquius on June 05, 2022, 02:31:16 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on June 05, 2022, 12:41:03 PMUkrainian high command is claiming that the entire 35th combined arms army has been pretty much wiped out by a Ukrainian counterattack in Severodonetsk. The total claimed casualty figures of KIA and WIA Russians is approaching numbers the Finns would have found acceptable back in WW II. Interesting if true because the Russians staked a lot on taking the town.

Hope so. Reliable news has been hard to come by in recent weeks. God knows what's happening anymore.
That seems so absolutely ridiculous.

One would think that in this day and age, the problem governments have is that they cannot ever really conceal what is happening, at least not in a large scale war.

0 rows returned

Crazy_Ivan80

might be overly optimistic but Lysychansk (sp?) is also located on the high ground in relation to Severodonetsk (sp?) apparently, and well within range of the artillery. Not unlike Lyman. And not unlike Popasna (for the Russians then) in regards to the big supply route to Lysychansk.

DGuller

Arestovych, who seems to be de facto second in command in Ukraine, gloated a couple of days ago that Severodonetsk was a trap for Russians.  Supposedly Ukrainians evacuated the city and lured the Russians in, so that they could be pummeled by artillery from the high ground surrounding the city, and also be forced to fight costly urban battles.