Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on May 26, 2022, 10:47:52 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 26, 2022, 10:35:17 AMAll the mockery of tank variants aside, it appears that the military situation is not developing to Ukraine's advantage at the moment.  Ukrainians are openly admitting that things are grim in Donbas and they're suffering heavy casualties.  Hopefully it's not a start of a trend of Russians becoming less stupid.

Yet in order to do so they have had to downsize the Donbass operation - which now seems limited to the Severodonetsk salient rather than cutting off the entire region. I think this is going to be their high watermark.

That said, I'm not optimistic the Ukrainians have the ability to kick them out of what they currently occupy, outside of limited operations like the one around Kharkiv - this is headed towards a stalemate in the short/mid term.

Question is whether that is Ukraine's present objective.  While Russia refocused their efforts in Donestk/Luhansk, UKR took advantage to carry out their offensive in an area of greater priority to them - Kharkiv - and achieve a local success.  So what would be their next move?  I would think that the Kherson region would be a greater strategic importance to Ukraine right now than western Luhansk.  If that is so we'd expect to see a fighting retreat in Luhansk with the aim of degrading as much Russian striking power as possible while looking for opportunities for counter-attack in south.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Crazy_Ivan80

There have been rumors that Ukraine has been building up a force near kherson. But that probably takes a while to be ready.

Legbiter

Ukrainians are asking for a lot of modern multiple launch rocket systems to outrange enemy artillery and clean up advancing Russian formations grid by grid.  :hmm:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

As mentioned Orban is blocking the oil sanctions at the EU level and apparently sanctions on transport companies ahve also been deleted from the latest draft - at the request of Greece:

I've said before but I think we're probably at the peak of EU-level sanctions/economic pressure now unless there's another escalation. There may, however, be future funding packages for Ukraine and, obviously, member state transfers of weapons are still very important.
Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

I can understand that. I think the EU needs to focus on kicking the Hungarians out and more support for Ukraine.

Iormlund

As much as it would benefit me personally to see them kicked out, I very much doubt that is ever going to happen.

Zanza

We need to reduce their EU benefits so much that they leave themselves.

Josquius

I said it before, EU is the league of nations. Start from scratch with a new EU.
Let UK come too plz.

Quote from: Legbiter on May 27, 2022, 07:23:16 AMUkrainians are asking for a lot of modern multiple launch rocket systems to outrange enemy artillery and clean up advancing Russian formations grid by grid.  :hmm:

Isn't that why they were supposed to have the howitzers?
██████
██████
██████

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PDH

Quote from: Josquius on May 27, 2022, 05:12:35 PMIsn't that why they were supposed to have the howitzers?

I think they would want MLRS systems to stonk the advances by more massed troops.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Can't ever have too much boom in a conventional war.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Crazy_Ivan80

seems UKR has done something of a counterattack near Cherson, but it's all rumour so far

Admiral Yi

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!