Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Zelensky addressed the Alþing today. He started with a greeting in Icelandic, referred to Kyiev as Kænugarðr, invoked ancient Saga relations since way back and stressed our logistics companies keep shipping over stuff to turn live Russians into dead ones. A masterclass in persuasion, knowing your audience, mixed with Saga rhetorical flairs to ram a point home.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Jacob

Yeah, he really is good at tailoring his rhetoric to the local audience.

Legbiter

Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2022, 07:04:24 PMYeah, he really is good at tailoring his rhetoric to the local audience.

Yeah he really is. A helpful reminder to the 80% of Languish who seem often perplexed at routine human interactions.  :lol:  ;)

Josquius

He's the good guy in this whole thing nonetheless it does seem highly memable how to every nation in the land he speaks of how they've always been special friends of Ukraine.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: Josquius on May 07, 2022, 01:42:13 AMHe's the good guy in this whole thing nonetheless it does seem highly memable how to every nation in the land he speaks of how they've always been special friends of Ukraine.
Not Germany  :P

Razgovory

Russians are now blowing bridges are around Kharkiv.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

The side that is retreating is the side that blows up bridges.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 06, 2022, 03:22:20 PMI've heard the war will be over by Christmas.
No need to stock up on Winter supplies.
PDH!

Jacob

What do you think?

If Ukrainian troops push back the Russians to the border in local areas, will they operate in Russian border regions as well? Will they take an hold strategic areas to support the main effort in Ukraine? Or will they confine themselves to Ukrainian territory only?

Legbiter

Quote from: Jacob on May 07, 2022, 03:43:36 PMWhat do you think?

If Ukrainian troops push back the Russians to the border in local areas, will they operate in Russian border regions as well? Will they take an hold strategic areas to support the main effort in Ukraine? Or will they confine themselves to Ukrainian territory only?

They'll certainly shell Russian forces close to Ukrainian border. Lots of war left.

Tonitrus

The danger in that is legitimizing the Russian internal "we're defending the motherland!" propaganda.  While we know it is bullshit, it carries more currency there, and could sway those on the ideological fence who are struggling to make sense of the conflict.

Also why Ukraine is being very tight lipped about military actions (or subversive ones seeming to take place there) inside Russia itself.

Josquius

I've asked about this a lot, already in the north where the Russians pulled back the standard border sits. I am fascinated to know what the situation looks like there. Did the Ukrainians stop right at the (presumably now unmanned) border?

Where this will be particularly interesting is crimea. Ukraine will have less pause for entering its own legal territory.
██████
██████
██████

PDH

I think, based on what has been said and done, that Ukraine will not attack across the pre-2014 borders.  They will attack across the separatist borders and into the Crimea if possible.

Perhaps in early March they might not have wanted to, but now I think the Ukrainian government and people might be of a different mindset.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Legbiter

May 9th is just around the corner, Putin needs to present a victory so one option is to announce the incorporation of Donbas and Luhansk into Russia, announce some kind of draft and warn Ukraine of consequences if it does not swiftly start serious negotiations. The parade will feature a lot of nuclear missile launchers and meme-tier weaponry like the Armata tank and Su-57 flyovers.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017