Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on May 02, 2022, 03:36:08 AMExplosions in Belgorod overnight, allegedly in Kursk as well.

I am really puzzled by where the Russian airforce is. Thinking at the start that you don't need them because you stroll in and take over in a shower of flowers from the natives is one thing, but since then? Does the airforce even exist?

There's a video floating around that looks like a plane dropping flares while flying over Belgorod. If that's really an Ukranian plane it's quite something they can get there.

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1520931374617829381

Josquius

I continue to by puzzled about why the Crimea bridge is still standing
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on May 02, 2022, 04:03:23 AMI continue to by puzzled about why the Crimea bridge is still standing

I presume it's not that easy to fly there and blow it up, the Russians control the entire Azov sea and coast.

The Larch

It seems that Ukraine is not very keen on the heavy weapons being offered by Germany:

QuoteMelnyk (Ukraine's ambassador to Germany), who has himself drawn criticism within Germany for his persistent complaints about what he has repeatedly described as the country's lack of decisive action, said that the Gepard anti-aircraft guns promised last week were insufficient and too old.

"The direction is the right one, but of course they are not enough. In particular we're lacking ammunition for the Gepards ... and in addition they are 40 years old. In order to defeat Russia we need the most modern Germany weaponry," he said, also speaking to Bild.
(...)
Melnyk listed the specific arms he said Ukraine needed Germany to deliver. "We want the speedy export of 88 Leopard tanks, 100 Marder armoured personnel carriers, self-propelled howitzers and much more. We are experiencing the biggest war in Europe for 80 years. It cannot be won with 30 or 100 more anti-aircraft systems."

The Larch

In other news, Germany's progress in weaning itself from Russian energy sources seems to be quite significant:

Coal

Pre-war: 45%
Now: 8%

Oil

Pre-war: 35%
Now: 12%

Gas

Pre-war: 55%
Now: 35%

Zanza

The Leopards and Marders are also from the Rheinmetall scrapyard museum stock and have a similar age. Melnyk seems to not have read about poor maintenance and scarce material of the Bundeswehr despite this being in the national and international press for at least a decade. You would expect an ambassador to be better informed about his host country. Maybe they will find a few PzH 2000, but that's about it. Anyway, he becomes boring for the German press as he is a one-trick pony.

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2022, 05:39:04 AMIn other news, Germany's progress in weaning itself from Russian energy sources seems to be quite significant:

Coal

Pre-war: 45%
Now: 8%

Oil

Pre-war: 35%
Now: 12%

Gas

Pre-war: 55%
Now: 35%
Germany is absolutely of course the biggest consumer, but relatively other European countries have to do much bigger adjustments. Which is also why now that they cannot hide behind Germany on oil, some other countries came forth about being against an embargo soon. Let's see how that EU summit goes.
Germany is currently preparing a new energy security law which would allow for expropriation of the Rosneft refinery - the remaining 12%.

On the exposure:

Syt

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-61296682

QuoteIsrael outrage at Sergei Lavrov's claim that Hitler was part Jewish

Israel has reacted with fury after Russia's foreign minister claimed that Nazi leader Adolf Hitler "had Jewish blood".

Sergei Lavrov made the comments to try to justify Russia's portrayal of Ukraine as "Nazi" despite the fact that its president is Jewish.

Israel's foreign ministry summoned Russia's ambassador for "clarification" and demanded an apology.

Nazi Germany murdered six million Jews in the Holocaust in World War Two.

Mr Lavrov made the remarks in an interview on Italian TV programme Zona Bianca on Sunday, days after Israel marked Holocaust Remembrance Day, one of the most solemn occasions in the Israeli calendar.

When asked how Russia can claim that it is fighting to "de-Nazify" Ukraine when President Volodymyr Zelensky is himself Jewish, Mr Lavrov said:

"I could be wrong, but Hitler also had Jewish blood. [That Zelensky is Jewish] means absolutely nothing. Wise Jewish people say that the most ardent anti-Semites are usually Jews."

The minister's statement was met with outrage across Israel's political spectrum.

Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said: "Such lies are meant to blame the Jews themselves for the most terrible crimes in history and thus free the oppressors of the Jews from their responsibility.

"No war today is the Holocaust or is like the Holocaust."

Israeli foreign minister Yair Lapid reacted angrily, calling Mr Lavrov's words "unforgivable".

Mr Lavrov was also condemned by the head of Israel's Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial, Dani Dayan.

"Most of his remarks are absurd, delusional, dangerous and deserving of any condemnation," he tweeted. "Lavrov deals with the reversal of the Holocaust: turning the victims into criminals, based on the promotion of a completely unfounded claim that Hitler was of Jewish descent."

The BBC's Jon Donnison in Jerusalem says the strength of the reaction reflects just how deeply offensive and unconscionable Mr Lavrov's comments will be to Jews both in Israel and around the world. Over recent months, Israel, which has a large Russian population, has tried at times to act as a mediator between Russia and Ukraine.

But, he says, the Israeli government has faced some criticism for not taking a tough enough line with President Putin. Mr Lavrov's comments will test Israel's relations with Russia and while offensive to many, they reflect a common narrative amongst the Kremlin's supporters, our correspondent adds.

There have for decades been unproven claims that Hitler's unidentified paternal grandfather was Jewish, fuelled by an assertion by Hitler's lawyer Hans Frank.

In his memoir, published in 1953, Frank said he had been instructed by Hitler to investigate rumours that he had Jewish ancestry. Frank said he uncovered evidence that Hitler's grandfather was indeed Jewish - though the claim, which has gained ground among conspiracy theorists, has been treated with scepticism by mainstream historians.

Russia has repeatedly said that one of its aims in the war against Ukraine is what it calls the "de-Nazification" of the country, making the unfounded claim that its government is steeped in Nazi ideology.

Israel, which has close relations with both Ukraine and Russia, has been at the forefront of international mediation efforts to try to stop the fighting.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Looks like Putin is going for the full Roman Triumph vibe for May 9th.

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1521094761662271490

QuoteKevin Rothrock
@KevinRothrock
Sources told the human rights project GulaguNet that the Kremlin is allegedly considering adding 500 Ukrainian POWs to Moscow's Victory Day march on May 9 (which would violate Article 13 of the Third Geneva Convention).

Syt

With the Gerasimov wounding I have to wonder - did he get legitimately wounded through enemy action OR did a disgruntled subordinate take a chance of showing his true feelings OR did he have a self inflicted accident to get back home ASAP? :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on May 02, 2022, 07:23:09 AMLooks like Putin is going for the full Roman Triumph vibe for May 9th.

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1521094761662271490

QuoteKevin Rothrock
@KevinRothrock
Sources told the human rights project GulaguNet that the Kremlin is allegedly considering adding 500 Ukrainian POWs to Moscow's Victory Day march on May 9 (which would violate Article 13 of the Third Geneva Convention).

If he participates (on a horse? tank?) I hope he'll have a slave (Slav?) standing behind him, whispering that he shouldn't forget that he's a mere mortal. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2022, 08:32:36 AMWith the Gerasimov wounding I have to wonder - did he get legitimately wounded through enemy action OR did a disgruntled subordinate take a chance of showing his true feelings OR did he have a self inflicted accident to get back home ASAP? :hmm:
Supposedly he was wounded when Ukrainians hit command  post with artillery.  I doubt he's going to have much faith shelling himself with Russian artillery and hoping to only get wounded by it.

Legbiter

Lots of successful local counterattacks by the Ukrainians around Kharkiv. 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

viper37

Apparently, two more Russian warships are sleeping with fishes today.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Ukraine admits the "Ghost of Kyiv" is a myth, albeit one they seem to celebrate as emblematic of the courage of all Ukrainians.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61285833
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.