Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2022, 03:17:44 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 18, 2022, 03:14:54 PMI cannot think of a single example in this thread of anyone referring to any specific Russian as an orc, but rather referring to them all as orcs.

You seem to have this exactly turned around.

QuoteAs I said before, I'm perfectly happy dehumanizing the people who raped women and shot ziptied civilians, and bombed hospitals and train stations.

That is not an example of any specific Russian, but rather all of them, since you haven't identified even one.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2022, 09:53:09 PMQuestion for those triggered by orcs: does that mean we need to stop calling people trolls too?  :D
I think we can safely call YOU a troll! :P

Triggered, please. Yes, you are just so tough and manly Yi, able to call those nasty Russians mean names! 

0 rows returned

Josquius

Early days but seems to be going less great with the Russians having learned their lessons and not charging forward as quick as they can.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on April 19, 2022, 11:25:17 AMEarly days but seems to be going less great with the Russians having learned their lessons and not charging forward as quick as they can.

Well it would be hard for the Russians to do worse than their initial invasion.

But the Ukrainians have been preparing for this assault for awhile also.  Let's see how they do.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Yeah, seems like the Russkies are using the strategy of blast everything first, advance later.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on April 19, 2022, 11:41:29 AMDo we call them the Imperial guard now?

No. We try not to conflate actual war with internet memes and nerd-IP.

crazy canuck

On the great Orcs debate - perhaps in another thread - I pointed out that there is a long tradition in the countries bordering the USSR and now Russia to call them Orcs.  In Helsinki there used to be (circa 1989) a summer tradition of  holding a Lord of the Rings outside play.  It was very popular because the Orcs were generally understood to be the Russians.  It was a safe way of poking fun at the bear without the bear necessarily realizing what you were doing.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2022, 09:01:15 AMThat is not an example of any specific Russian, but rather all of them, since you haven't identified even one.

If you think all Russians have done the things I described, we will just have to disagree.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2022, 02:17:05 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2022, 09:01:15 AMThat is not an example of any specific Russian, but rather all of them, since you haven't identified even one.

If you think all Russians have done the things I described, we will just have to disagree.
More trolling.

0 rows returned

Berkut

That's the problem - you think this is a contest, rather then a discussion.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

It stopped being a discussion when you refused to acknowledge I wasn't calling all Russians orcs.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2022, 02:29:49 PMIt stopped being a discussion when you refused to acknowledge I wasn't calling all Russians orcs.

When were you calling specific Russians "orcs?" And why were you doing it, when actually descriptive names in English already existed?

I can understand the Ukrainians using the term (much as the US soldiers used "gooks" and "slopes" in the Vietnam War) because people under stress tend to ignore all of the logical distinctions that keep them from actually understanding the world, but why would anyone think that this was a good idea?  Why do you think that it is a good idea?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

This is a really poor show by the German government, specifically chancellor Scholz.  There is no obvious, publicly known domestic reason not to do more.