Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2022, 06:00:07 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 01, 2022, 05:56:33 AM
Quote from: Josquius on April 01, 2022, 02:45:17 AMI wonder if they'll blow the crimea Bridge.

Odd that this hasn't been done yet.

I presume that, as a key infrastructure, it's heavily covered with AA.
One would think the same about Belgorod though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

I am no expert but I think you need a helluva' more to destroy a big bridge than a couple of helos firing unguided missiles. You'd have to have your jets get through SAMs and actually manage to destroy the thing - probably a suicide mission with slim chance of success.

celedhring

Now I need to rewatch "The Dambusters"  :lol:

Josquius

I have read that crimea bridge is quite badly built and it seems a few well placed missiles could knock it out of commission for a while.
Ukraine does have cruise missiles.

I wonder if there's a worry on hitting civilian targets and giving Russia an excuse for blasting Ukranian cities more than they already are?
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Doesn't Ukraine have some cruise missiles as well?  I'm not sure why I think that, but I recall reading that they have a little bit of them.  They're probably saving them, just like a lot of their other military assets with offensive capabilities, for a special occasion.

celedhring

Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2022, 09:04:14 AMDoesn't Ukraine have some cruise missiles as well?  I'm not sure why I think that, but I recall reading that they have a little bit of them.  They're probably saving them, just like a lot of their other military assets with offensive capabilities, for a special occasion.

IIRC cruise missiles are insanely expensive so you kinda have to be really picky with targets. Unless you're the US.

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 01, 2022, 04:37:07 AMSo Ben Wallace gave an update after latest talks on sending supplies to Ukraine. The thing that struck me (but I know nothing about military stuff) is after the anti-tank and anti-air stuff earlier in the war, the move here to talking about protective vehicles (but not tanks) and artillery - is that a sign that Ukraine's looking for more stuff that could be used in counter-offensives or am I wrong? :hmm:

Presumably this is a bit more long-term, sending unfamiliar artillery systems with a big logistics footprint into an active warzone is not something that gets done in a few days.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

DGuller

I've seen some speculation that the Belgorod attack could've been a false flag attack by Russia, in order to justify greater level of military mobilization for the war.  That said, other voices are saying that Russians would destroy something less useful, like an apartment building full of Russians, rather than an oil depot, and that the attack is too embarrassing for Russians to stage on themselves.  So far I didn't see Ukraine owning up to it, but I also didn't see Russia make a big deal out of it, so it probably is a legit Ukrainian attack that they're choosing to not talk about yet.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2022, 10:24:00 AMI've seen some speculation that the Belgorod attack could've been a false flag attack by Russia, in order to justify greater level of military mobilization for the war.  That said, other voices are saying that Russians would destroy something less useful, like an apartment building full of Russians, rather than an oil depot, and that the attack is too embarrassing for Russians to stage on themselves.  So far I didn't see Ukraine owning up to it, but I also didn't see Russia make a big deal out of it, so it probably is a legit Ukrainian attack that they're choosing to not talk about yet.

Yeah, the false flag would surely be a Russian primary school or something similar.

A fuel depot near the border, well done Ukraine  :cool:

Barrister

Very interesting that Ukraine apparently hit the fuel depot in Belgorod, Russia.

On the one hand - Russia is at war with Ukraine.  It's not like Ukraine really risks further escalation from Russia, and Ukraine has been going after Russia's fuel and logistics pretty hard.

What it does though is risk getting further "offensive" weaponry from the west, as the west does not want to see it's weapons used to strike Russia.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Saw the statement by Ukrainian spokesman:

Quote"The Russian leadership is responsible for what happens on the territory of the #Russian Federation, and they need to figure out what happened in Belgorod."

What is not transcribed here is a literal wink from the spokesman immediately after saying this.  :lol:  I think we can count this one as confirmed by Ukraine.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2022, 10:39:21 AMVery interesting that Ukraine apparently hit the fuel depot in Belgorod, Russia.

On the one hand - Russia is at war with Ukraine.  It's not like Ukraine really risks further escalation from Russia, and Ukraine has been going after Russia's fuel and logistics pretty hard.

What it does though is risk getting further "offensive" weaponry from the west, as the west does not want to see it's weapons used to strike Russia.

Is that so? The West doesn't want to see its weapons used to strike Russia?

I mean, I don't speak for the West, but personally I'm fine with it.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on April 01, 2022, 10:55:53 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2022, 10:39:21 AMVery interesting that Ukraine apparently hit the fuel depot in Belgorod, Russia.

Is that so? The West doesn't want to see its weapons used to strike Russia?

I mean, I don't speak for the West, but personally I'm fine with it.
I'm fine with it as well, in case anyone's curious.  I hope the West realizes two things now:  Russia is no longer in position where the West should worry like a battered wife about what Putin will think about this or that, and that Ukraine can't defend itself while allowing Russia to use the entirety of its territory as a base of operations that's off-limits to Ukraine.