News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 25, 2022, 11:38:29 AMIt seems the word was made up by Paul.  It is open to interpretation what he meant.

The main question is why anyone would base their sexual morality on what Paul said?

Dude your Ringo obsession is embarrassing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on March 25, 2022, 11:40:10 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 25, 2022, 11:38:29 AMIt seems the word was made up by Paul.  It is open to interpretation what he meant.

The main question is why anyone would base their sexual morality on what Paul said?

Dude your Ringo obsession is embarrassing.

:Embarrass:

Josquius

Fascinating if it is an invented word.
Which makes it curious in an altogether different way how its interpretation was changed. Its not like Martin Luther was pro LGBT rights afterall.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on March 25, 2022, 01:01:58 PMFascinating if it is an invented word.
Which makes it curious in an altogether different word how its interpretation was changed. Its not like Martin Luther was pro LGBT rights afterall.

Here is an interesting paper on the subject.  It looks like the issue is more profound.

The author's take is that the word does not refer to sexual sins all, but rather exploitation - likely economic exploitation.  If the author is correct, modern right wing Christianity has gotten a great many things wrong politically.

As for Paul being the one to coin the phrase, the author says this "Unlike malakos, arsenokoitês is a rare word. Paul's usage of it may be the earliest
example we have."

Here is a coles notes version

Quote3) It is possible that Paul construed arsenokoitia to include all instances of male-male
sexual intercourse whether exploitative or not.
4) But I think it is more probable that Paul understood arsenokoitia as some type of
male-male sexual relationship that was exploitative.
5) It is possible that the instance of arsenokoitia listed in 1 Corinthians 6:9 threatened
to exacerbate stratificational divisions with the Corinthian Christ community

https://www.westarinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Malakoi-Arsenokoitai-3.1.pdf

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on March 25, 2022, 10:54:39 AMToday I learned, the Bible passage about man should not lie with man actually says man should not lie with young boys.

So less don't be gay and more don't be a paedophile.

Interesting considering how common that attack line always was. Didn't realise it had this link.

https://www.forgeonline.org/blog/2019/3/8/what-about-romans-124-27

There are also prohibitions in the Old Testament if I'm not mistaken.

Razgovory

Does anyone here actually know Koine Greek?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2022, 06:04:03 PMDoes anyone here actually know Koine Greek?

It is not that common.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Der Spiegel cover's been doing the rounds on British Twitter today because it appears Sir Kenneth Branagh's become the Chancellor :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Memory is such a weird thing.

How come I can't remember the password I used on an account a week ago, but I can remember every word to an obscene ditty my friends made up to the tune of the "Spider Man" TV theme song when I was 11?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2022, 06:53:24 PMMemory is such a weird thing.

How come I can't remember the password I used on an account a week ago, but I can remember every word to an obscene ditty my friends made up to the tune of the "Spider Man" TV theme song when I was 11?

I use the words to obscene ditties for my passwords for just that reason.

"Who's that knocking at my door, said the fair young maiden..."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Random thought.  Egg rolls are mass produced.  Why don't they all look the same?  Does the rolling machine have some jiggle to prevent that?

Josquius

Business idea #79947

Musical books for babies.
Regional musical books for babies.
Hire voice actors from different parts of the country. Make sure your kid hears proper as they grow up.
In this age of hyper customisation I'm surprised this hasn't been done
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: PDH on March 25, 2022, 06:59:57 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2022, 06:04:03 PMDoes anyone here actually know Koine Greek?

It is not that common.

Only had some very basic Ancient Greek Introduction course in early high school, sorry.

Josquius

At the Oscars the big event seems to be Will Smith punching Chris Rock.
Watching the clip.... Its weird.
So at first will laughs at the joke whilst his wife looks pissed... Then he gets on stage and punches Chris. Nobody really cares... Until he shouts get my wife's name out your fucking mouth.
Then there's gasps of shock.
Interesting a swear word gets more controversy than assault.
What the fuck is up with America and swear words.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on March 28, 2022, 02:34:58 AMAt the Oscars the big event seems to be Will Smith punching Chris Rock.
Watching the clip.... Its weird.
So at first will laughs at the joke whilst his wife looks pissed... Then he gets on stage and punches Chris. Nobody really cares... Until he shouts get my wife's name out your fucking mouth.
Then there's gasps of shock.
Interesting a swear word gets more controversy than assault.
What the fuck is up with America and swear words.

He didn't punch him. I would also guess it was only once he went in with that angry mantra that the audience fully realised that it wasn't a joke at all.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.