Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2022, 10:23:09 AMInteresting to see if this is right - but unconfirmed reports that Russian forces in the Bucha, Irpin and Hostomel area are surrounded and cut off from supplies.

It would be consistent with other known facts - such as the stall-out in the Kyiv outskirts over the past two weeks, the massive logistical failures in the Kyiv sector, the failure of the Russian drive to the east of city, and the opportunistic Ukranian counterattacks.

It seems apparent now that it was an enormous blunder to make a drive on Kyiv as a principal objective of the operation. Given their force level and capabilities they should have limited themselves to a feint or demonstration to tie down defenders and focused efforts in the east and south.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

FunkMonk

Quote from: Berkut on March 22, 2022, 10:31:01 AMRussia has lost this war.

It is not a stalemate. Or rather, a stalemate for Russia is exactly what losing looks like.

The next few months are going to be very dangerous.

I agree. Given the nature of their initial objectives and of the campaign in general, if they're not winning, they're losing  And they're definitely not winning right now.

In lighter terms, it will be funny to dunk on ultranationalist Russian posters on online forums/Twitter/Reddit for many years into the future.

QuoteT-72 ZERG RUSH ZOMG

*wall of ATGMS*

lol
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Jacob

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 22, 2022, 10:38:14 AMIn lighter terms, it will be funny to dunk on ultranationalist Russian posters on online forums/Twitter/Reddit for many years into the future.

QuoteT-72 ZERG RUSH ZOMG

*wall of ATGMS*

lol

You think there will be many Russians on online forums/ Twitter/ Reddit in the next couple of years?

FunkMonk

Josquius

Most Russian posters claim to be middle aged men from Stockton or wherever so...
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

So after Putin's historical diatribe about Ukraine back in the day, it seems that now Medveded has published a similar one about Poland:

https://twitter.com/maxfras/status/1505843869707116547

QuoteThis morning,Dmitry Medvedev decided to post a lengthy letter"On Poland" - it is a curious mix of Soviet and pan-Slavic mythology with mockery, dire criticism and veiled threats against Poland - here are the key points:

Poland suffers from 'long-term, pathological Russophobia' and does not mind its cost 'if the shed burnt down, let the house burn down too'

Poland (and Polish propaganda) - the most vicious, vulgar and shrill critic of Russia - 'Community of political idiots'.

Poland forgets Soviet Army liberated it from Nazi occupation -  instead, Soviet 'occupation' is equated with Nazism - this is a deceitful and disgusting rhetoric

Later, during my visits to Poland, I [Medvedev] became convinced that Russia and Poland face no obstacles to improving relations (...) However, Poland's elites, led by Kaczynski ('no.2'), controlled by the American masters, did everything to block the path to normalisation

The interests of the citizens of Poland have been sacrificed due to Russophobia of 'mediocre politicians' and their 'puppeteers from across the ocean' with clear signs of senile insanity (sic!).

[Poland's] decision to abandon the purchase of Russian gas, oil and coal and the opposition to Nord Stream 2 have already caused serious damage to the economy of this country. Now it will only get worse.

But now it is much more important for the vassal Polish elites to swear allegiance to their overlords - USA - than to help their own citizens, so they will constantly fan the fire of hatred for the enemy - Russia

Sheilbh

I wonder if there's a reason the Soviets are equated with Nazis in Poland :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2022, 12:57:27 PMI wonder if there's a reason the Soviets are equated with Nazis in Poland :hmm:

:hmm:

The Brain

Russian smack is like Swiss cheese. Not very effective.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Razgovory

QuoteT-72 ZERG RUSH ZOMG

*wall of ATGMS*

lol

This is how history books will be written in the future.

"'ZOMG!' 'ZOMG!' Cried the British as they zerg rushed up Breed's Hill.

*Wall of American muskets*

Israel Putnam responded only with, 'lol'"

-L33t D0d3s of the American Revolution.  2078 Cambridge Press
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

More news on the Ukrainian front:

QuoteRed Army forces in Ukraine are approaching the Romanian border, capturing fresh territory including cities of Vinnytsia & Romanian-occupied Mohyliv-Podilskyi. Axis railway lines supplying southern Ukraine are now in severe danger (New York Times map): https://t.co/jEnNy7zp1G

celedhring

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 22, 2022, 10:05:47 PMMore news on the Ukrainian front:

QuoteRed Army forces in Ukraine are approaching the Romanian border, capturing fresh territory including cities of Vinnytsia & Romanian-occupied Mohyliv-Podilskyi. Axis railway lines supplying southern Ukraine are now in severe danger (New York Times map): https://t.co/jEnNy7zp1G

WWII analogies? That's too modern! We're in WWI territory now.

https://twitter.com/DimSel007/status/1506334268578058242

celedhring

So the Spanish Royal Opera is playing a Prokofiev opera this month, and the cast have started singing the Ukrainian anthem before the start of each show. I don't know whether to file this under silly or cool.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on March 23, 2022, 06:19:46 AMSo the Spanish Royal Opera is playing a Prokofiev opera this month, and the cast have started singing the Ukrainian anthem before the start of each show. I don't know whether to file this under silly or cool.

Seems sensible.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.