Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2022, 09:10:46 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 15, 2022, 10:16:46 PMMy cousin is in the French paratroopers and he tells me it's an open secret how shit the VdV really are. They apparently have an outsize influence in Russia itself and their PR is good, but in terms of operational efficiency they're a laughingstock.

Nothing I've seen so far has proved that analysis wrong. They got wiped out at Hostomel airport apparently.

This may all very well be true, but I don't think the outcome at Hostomel tells you much one way or the other about troop quality.  The best airborne troops in the world are not going to fare well when they're transported that deep into enemy territory.
Isn't that the job of paratroops, like in Ste-Mère Église?  Get behind enemy lines, sabotage stuff, prepare the ground for the full invasion?  Granted, the American troopers had help from the French resistance, while the Russians did not.

But there's got to be other paradrop operations in modern history, that were successful with well trained troops? Operation Market Garden was a semi-success, not a total failure... Any others?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on March 16, 2022, 03:54:18 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2022, 09:10:46 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 15, 2022, 10:16:46 PMMy cousin is in the French paratroopers and he tells me it's an open secret how shit the VdV really are. They apparently have an outsize influence in Russia itself and their PR is good, but in terms of operational efficiency they're a laughingstock.

Nothing I've seen so far has proved that analysis wrong. They got wiped out at Hostomel airport apparently.

This may all very well be true, but I don't think the outcome at Hostomel tells you much one way or the other about troop quality.  The best airborne troops in the world are not going to fare well when they're transported that deep into enemy territory.
Isn't that the job of paratroops, like in Ste-Mère Église?  Get behind enemy lines, sabotage stuff, prepare the ground for the full invasion?  Granted, the American troopers had help from the French resistance, while the Russians did not.

But there's got to be other paradrop operations in modern history, that were successful with well trained troops? Operation Market Garden was a semi-success, not a total failure... Any others?

The Germans at Eben-Emael in 1940? The Germans at Crete in 1941 took heavy losses, but IIRC they got the job done.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

The latest atrocity: Russians bombed the Mariupol Drama Theatre building in Mariupol.  The theatre was being used as a bomb shelter.  Over 1,000 inside.

The word "children" was written in large letters (in Russian) in the front and back of the building.

No idea yet how many have survived.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on March 16, 2022, 03:54:18 PMIsn't that the job of paratroops, like in Ste-Mère Église?  Get behind enemy lines, sabotage stuff, prepare the ground for the full invasion?  Granted, the American troopers had help from the French resistance, while the Russians did not.

The distance from Hostomel to the Belorussian border is 471.7 kilometers, and Russia is just now approaching it on D+19.  From the XXX Corps jump off point to Arnhem is 100 kilometers, and they were *supposed* to reach it on day 3.  I'm not going to look up the D Day landing zones, but IIRC they linked up on D+1 or D+2.

My hunch is Hostomel was an attempt to cut off an easy escape route for the Ukrainian government.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2022, 04:03:55 PMMy hunch is Hostomel was an attempt to cut off an easy escape route for the Ukrainian government.

That is consistent with the thesis that the Russians genuinely thought Ukraine would fold immediately.

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2022, 04:03:55 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 16, 2022, 03:54:18 PMIsn't that the job of paratroops, like in Ste-Mère Église?  Get behind enemy lines, sabotage stuff, prepare the ground for the full invasion?  Granted, the American troopers had help from the French resistance, while the Russians did not.

The distance from Hostomel to the Belorussian border is 471.7 kilometers, and Russia is just now approaching it on D+19.

Isn't it more like 100km?

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on March 16, 2022, 04:06:11 PMRussian lawmaker demands return of Alaska, California fort and reparations amid US-led sanctions

One front at a time, Comrade.

If they have logistics issues invading Ukraine, wait until they try invading Alaska.

Anyway we bought it from a willing seller at the fair market price so no backsies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on March 16, 2022, 04:07:57 PMIsn't it more like 100km?

My bad.  Google gave me the distance from Belarus, not the Belorussian border.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2022, 04:36:32 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 16, 2022, 04:07:57 PMIsn't it more like 100km?

My bad.  Google gave me the distance from Belarus, not the Belorussian border.

:bleeding: Google: "How far apart were the vehicles during the collision?"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on March 16, 2022, 04:39:46 PM:bleeding: Google: "How far apart were the vehicles during the collision?"

An excellent product in the Alphabet family.  :mad:

celedhring

Twitter rumor that there's explosions in Belarusian towns. I know we've been here before and it came to nothing, but I'm fearing a false flag to bring Belarus into the war.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on March 16, 2022, 05:02:42 PMTwitter rumor that there's explosions in Belarusian towns. I know we've been here before and it came to nothing, but I'm fearing a false flag to bring Belarus into the war.

Saw the same thing.  But it was only "heard explosions".

Maybe sonic booms?

Nothing concrete in this rumour, not yet at least.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 16, 2022, 05:02:42 PMTwitter rumor that there's explosions in Belarusian towns. I know we've been here before and it came to nothing, but I'm fearing a false flag to bring Belarus into the war.
Yeah I've seen that.

With Belarus it feels like it could be anything from false flags to a coup.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

On the whole Cold War v 2.0 - is there anything the West can do to activate other problems for the Putin regime? Financial and weapons aid to Georgia? Any other trouble zones for Russia we could stir a bit in a relatively effective way?