Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

OttoVonBismarck

I'm declaring the whole "Ukrainians being anti-Russian helps Putin" nonsense dumbest line of discussion in this entire thread.

Syt

Actually, so how to NATO troops get to Romania, if they want to take the land route? If they can't cross the Danube in Hungary, it's a bit of a problem.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on March 07, 2022, 10:05:42 AMActually, so how to NATO troops get to Romania, if they want to take the land route? If they can't cross the Danube in Hungary, it's a bit of a problem.

I saw footage of French tanks being airlifted into Romania.

Syt

I guess you could go through the Croatia/Montenegro route, but essentially it's cutting off the South-Eastern NATO member states.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2022, 10:08:22 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 07, 2022, 10:05:42 AMActually, so how to NATO troops get to Romania, if they want to take the land route? If they can't cross the Danube in Hungary, it's a bit of a problem.

I saw footage of French tanks being airlifted into Romania.

Depending on the number of troops you want to send this may be more or less feasible. A tank battalion - maybe. An armored division ... less so.
—Stephen Jay Gould

OttoVonBismarck

I mean the U.S. moved an entire invasion force to the Middle East mostly by plane, you don't really need land routes through Hungary to do deployments to Southeastern Europe. Moving brigade sized units via air is not a very unusual tasking.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Legbiter on March 07, 2022, 10:09:46 AMThat's some gnarly footage. Aftermath of a battle.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1500519799499206661

Ugh. I know I have said it before, and its shallow and selfish to begin with, but I find these footages hit extra hard for me because of the familiar east european surroundings. Those houses... if there was simultaneous fighting going on in Hungary, I could not tell which country this was from.

Duque de Bragança

alfred russel

Quote from: Legbiter on March 07, 2022, 10:09:46 AMThat's some gnarly footage. Aftermath of a battle.

My wife asked me my opinion on the war a few days ago and within 5 minutes it was declared a subject of no further discussion. My perspective was that Russia isn't going to win, but Ukraine is going to get crushed, and the best we can hope for is someone really smart figures out a way to let Russia get out of this quickly while saving face. She thought I was dismissing the heroic Ukrainian patriotic spirit in the face of the invasion. I said that spirit wouldn't keep cities from being leveled by heavy artillery or a refugee crisis.

All the focus is on Russian casualties, logistical struggles, and ineptitude. Which is fine from a PR perspective but the reality is that Ukraine is also losing people and their logistics have to be strained as well, especially east of the Dnieper.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Legbiter

Quote from: alfred russel on March 07, 2022, 10:55:58 AMAll the focus is on Russian casualties, logistical struggles, and ineptitude. Which is fine from a PR perspective but the reality is that Ukraine is also losing people and their logistics have to be strained as well, especially east of the Dnieper.

Yeah the Russians will grind Ukraine into dust with the Syria playbook but then it'll be an enormous albatross around their necks. How the fighting evolves in the next few weeks and months will determine where the new Iron Curtain will sit.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Zanza

That guy has some rather interesting threads on Russia, Ukraine etc. - no idea how correct the information he gives is, but he makes good narratives:

https://mobile.twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1498377757536968711

DGuller

Yeah, unless WW3 with nuclear exchanges starts, the biggest winner of this war is going to be the West:  they finally have a cause to unite behind, and they get to deputinize their own societies.  The biggest loser will be Ukraine, because they're going to be bombed into stone age or enslaved.  Russia will also be a big loser, but being a pariah is still not as bad of a fate as being destroyed.