Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

This 4 minute video report is worth view, it's the BBC's Jeremy Bowen covering the fleeing civilians of Irpin:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-60641873
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Jacob on March 06, 2022, 12:27:51 PMAnd then the question becomes whether manufacturing new planes / trucks / missiles / tanks / APCs / artillery / etc requires those chips.

It almost certainly does.  Even if they theoretically have the semiconductor fab technology and capacity to manufacture the chips, if they weren't already doing so trying to shift production has the potential to cripple production for months, or even years

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on March 06, 2022, 03:57:43 PM

Ukraine is joke to you? SMASH RUSSIAN BOARD!

Anyway naturally I have thought about that several times this past week  :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

A man stands near a house destroyed in Russian artillery shelling, in Horenka village near Kyiv [Efrem Lukatsky/AP Photo]

mongers

Devastating:

Quote2 hours ago (00:33 GMT)

Two big-name accounting firms to leave Russia
Two of the so-called Big Four accounting firms – KPMG and PricewaterhouseCoopers – are pulling out of Russia over its war in Ukraine.

Both the firms said they would end their relationships with their Russia-based member firms. KPMG said it was also pulling out of Belarus.

KPMG International said in a statement it would be "incredibly difficult" to have its Russia and Belarus firms leave the network. KPMG has more than 4,500 employees in the two countries.

PricewaterhouseCoopers said it has 3,700 employees at its PwC Russia firm and is working on an "orderly transition" for the business.

Who will the Russians get to cook the books now? :sad:

HisMajestyBOB

A few days old, but Google appears to have sided with Putin.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/04/google-suspends-all-advertising-in-russia-.html

Now Russians can surf the web ad-free. :(
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

viper37

American Express, Netflix and Tik Tok have pulled out of Russia.

Tik Tok is available to Russians, but they can't post videos on the platform.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

QuoteRussia has instructed all state-owned websites and services to switch to the Russian domain name system by 11 March, according to Russian state media outlets.

"This is necessary to protect resources from cyber attacks and the possibility of disconnection from the outside," the Kommersant Russian newspaper reports.

Citing the ministry of digital development, the publication said there are no plans to disconnect Russia from the global internet.

The ministry of digital development told Kommersant that these measures are necessary to protect against cyberattacks:

We are preparing for various scenarios to ensure that Russian resources are available to citizens. The telegram for government agencies outlines a set of simple cyber hygiene recommendations that will help to organise work more effectively to protect our resources from malicious traffic, keep services running and control over domain names."

Russia managed to disconnect itself from the global internet during tests in June and July last year, the RBC media group reported at the time, citing documents from the working group tasked with improving Russia's internet security, according to Reuters.

Russia adopted legislation, known as the "sovereign internet" law, in late 2019 that seeks to shield the country from being cut off from foreign infrastructure, in answer to what Russia called the "aggressive nature" of the United States' national cyber security strategy.

The move would strengthen the Russian government's oversight of cyberspace.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Swedish PEN thinks that the book and movie industry should be exempt from sanctions, because reasons.

But I see your true colors
Shining through
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on March 07, 2022, 12:56:15 AMSwedish PEN thinks that the book and movie industry should be exempt from sanctions, because reasons.

Shining through

Worried about those vital Strindberg exports?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on March 07, 2022, 01:07:20 AM
Quote from: The Brain on March 07, 2022, 12:56:15 AMSwedish PEN thinks that the book and movie industry should be exempt from sanctions, because reasons.

Shining through

Worried about those vital Strindberg exports?

And bleak Bergman existential angst exports. Which tbf may be Sweden's most powerful weapon against Russian morale.

But to be serious, they think that isolating Russian writers and movie makers who already struggle with Putin's regime is counterproductive and fosters an "us against them" line of thinking. I certainly see their point, and I disagree with it. It's not like other industries don't have Russians who disagree with Putin. No exemptions.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

I would be interested to know what Russians against the Putin regime think. Back in the day the ANC were in favour of boycotts and economic sanctions against South Africa, even though that would have been pretty tough on many of their supporters. Freedom is worth a lot of economic sacrifice.

celedhring

I consider the chances of a Putin toppling to be extremely slim, but that said the Russian regime isn't acting domestically like it thinks it's safe. They're going full North Korea.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2022, 06:17:29 PMFeel free to provide verbatim semi fascy quotes if that would bolster your case.
I don't speak Ukranian.
It's the gloating vibe.

QuoteFor Chrissake, they're letting Russian POWs call their moms and letting them take them home.

Singing kumbaya to Putin could be a sweet thing to do, but not doing so is far, far from most people's idea of being semi fascy.

I never said sing kumbaya to Putin. Completely the opposite.

QuoteYou've said worse things about London and the south and they haven't even invaded you and blown up your cities.
Doubtful.
Also the problem there can't all be entirely neatly pinned on Thatcher.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi