Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Isn't Russian gas imports to European countries traditionally paid in blood diamonds?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

IKEA to temporarely close all its shops in Russia and Belarus.

HVC

If I understand correctly SWIFT is just a messaging/information system. Being off SWIFT doesn't stop payments, just makes them a lot more difficult.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on March 03, 2022, 07:17:28 AMIKEA to temporarely close all its shops in Russia and Belarus.

Finally. Good.

Syt

:D This table can also be bought at IKEA. It's called LÖNGRÄNG. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Where will the Russians leaving Russia go? How many Western companies are hiring Russians now?

Sheilbh

There are anecdotal reports from EU agencies that Russian border staff/guards are questioning Russians who are trying to leave the country - there seems to be an exodus of people who can afford it, especially for young men who might be called up.

Edit: Also slightly worried we're not far from seeing a slightly more developed "freedom fries" moment at the current point. I said we should have cultural sanctions on Russia by which I mean sporting and cultural boycotts of the Russian state - no World Cup qualification or international friendlies, no big concert tours or orchestras touring Russia etc. What I don't mean and what I'm worried I'm seeing is that the rest of the world should boycott Russian culture - especially stuff that's already globally available - we absolutely shouldn't. I don't think that's the point :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I recall seeing a picture on reddit of a alcohol shop with all Russian products removed.

I really wouldn't be surprised if smirnoff launches an advertising campaign to highlight how British it is (after years playing up being Russian)
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: DGuller on March 02, 2022, 11:44:46 PMI think that pretty much everyone has now conceded that Kherson has been captured, or at least the administrative buildings have been.  Sounds like Mariopol is just being leveled to the ground by artillery.  I wonder if that's a punishment to it for holding out during the 2014 war.

I doubt it. Russian military doctrine is built around artillery. They don't actually have any real way to seize a hostile city other than turning it to rubble with artillery and then moving infantry in. It's either that or expose their infantry to much higher casualty rates fighting street to street.

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on March 03, 2022, 08:47:08 AMI recall seeing a picture on reddit of a alcohol shop with all Russian products removed.

I really wouldn't be surprised if smirnoff launches an advertising campaign to highlight how British it is (after years playing up being Russian)

There's been some articles about state run liquor stores here eliminating sales of Russian Vodka.  The problem is that Russian Standard is the only Russian label we get in any significant amount.  Even the Stolichnaya we get is made in Latvia.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah almost all Russian vodka brands sold in the United States were sold off to non-Russian distillers ages ago.

Also all the top vodkas sold in the U.S. are not Russian made.

1. Smirnoff - Made in the UK
2. Tito's - Made in Texas
3. New Amsterdam - Made in California
4. Svedka - Made in New York
5. Absolut - Made in Sweden
6. Burnett's - Made in Kentucky
7. Pinnacle - Made in Chicago
8. Ketel One - Made in Netherlands
9. Skyy - Made in California
10. Barton's - Made in Louisiana

Sheilbh

Quote from: Savonarola on March 03, 2022, 09:18:15 AMThere's been some articles about state run liquor stores here eliminating sales of Russian Vodka.  The problem is that Russian Standard is the only Russian label we get in any significant amount.  Even the Stolichnaya we get is made in Latvia.
Yeah I saw a piece about cocktail bars renaming Moscow Mules and an academic journal proudly announcing they were stopping publishing in Russian (a language also used in Ukraine). It just made me think this is dumb and not the point of a cultural boycott/sanctions.
Let's bomb Russia!