Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Habbaku on March 01, 2022, 12:53:42 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 01, 2022, 12:52:43 PM
Quote from: Zanza on March 01, 2022, 12:33:58 PMAll of Gerhard Schröder's tax payer financed staff quit their jobs. :nelson:

Why does he have staff paid by the state?

The same reason former US Presidents and family get Secret Service protections? I think it's reasonable.

I was thinking more like office/secretarial staff, not protection. Protection makes sense.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza on March 01, 2022, 12:15:30 PMIf the Northern troops around Charkiv join up with the Southern troops from Crimea in Zaphorzhzhie or Dnipro, the Ukrainians East of that holding against the Donbass front will be cut off.

Charles XII is deploying to Poltava, so no worries.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PDH

So if my wargaming has taught me anything, it is that soon the mud will hit and for several turns the Soviets Russians Nazis Russian-Nazis won't be able to move and fight.

I wonder if this has been accounted for in the modern game mechanics...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Looks like Belarus is now fully in the war.  That's a shame.  :(

OttoVonBismarck

Schröder's behavior after leaving office has to be among the least reputable of any major European leader in the 21st century. He's a disgrace.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 01, 2022, 01:06:16 PMLooks like Belarus is now fully in the war.  That's a shame.  :(
And today of all days.  That certainly isn't in the spirit of National Pig Day. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 01, 2022, 01:06:30 PMSchröder's behavior after leaving office has to be among the least reputable of any major European leader in the 21st century. He's a disgrace.

His behavior in office was a disgrace as well. How much of his support for transitioning Germany away from nuclear energy can be attributed to his being bought and paid for by Russia?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zanza

Quote from: HVC on March 01, 2022, 12:59:37 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 01, 2022, 12:53:42 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 01, 2022, 12:52:43 PM
Quote from: Zanza on March 01, 2022, 12:33:58 PMAll of Gerhard Schröder's tax payer financed staff quit their jobs. :nelson:

Why does he have staff paid by the state?

The same reason former US Presidents and family get Secret Service protections? I think it's reasonable.

I was thinking more like office/secretarial staff, not protection. Protection makes sense.
He gets about 400.000 Euro per year to pay for an office with staff. Former chancellors (two alive) and presidents (three alive) get that. Normally that is reasonable, but normally our elder statesmen do not become Russian gas lobbyists either.  :yuk:

They also get protection from police, but as Merkel's handbag was recently stolen when she was shopping.  :lol:

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 01, 2022, 12:19:49 PMMentioned before but the Belarussian troops will probaby be even more reluctant, adding a uniquely "Spanish sailors at Trafalgar" vibe to all of this.

What does that mean? It's genuinely the first time I see that expression.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: The Larch on March 01, 2022, 01:18:07 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 01, 2022, 12:19:49 PMMentioned before but the Belarussian troops will probaby be even more reluctant, adding a uniquely "Spanish sailors at Trafalgar" vibe to all of this.

What does that mean? It's genuinely the first time I see that expression.

That's some British shit, just smile and nod.

Syt

So that TV tower the Russians attacked? It's also the site of a holocaust massacre/memorial.  :pinch:

(The Soviets didn't think much of commemorating Jewish victims, focusing instead on Soviet victims as a whole, and built the TV tower there. Memorials were erected after 1991.)

Google Maps location: https://goo.gl/maps/QTaGf57SkvznHFZs9

Article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babi_Yar

The Russians are not very good at trying to look like the good guys. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Zeit reports that the Russian military has announced drills for nuclear submarines and strategic missile forces. The Arctic Fleet is sending out multiple subs to "test performance in stormy conditions" in the Barents Sea, while missile troops in Irkutsk have deployed into the forests to train secretive deployment. The military didn't mention whether the exercises were related to their heightened alert levels.

:ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Andrei Kozyrev, former Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs in the 90s, is asking all current Russian diplomats to quit as a protest against the war.

"You are professionals, not cogs of a propaganda machine. You can't support the bloody fratricide war in Ukraine."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on March 01, 2022, 12:46:51 PMIntersting set of posts on how Russia is apparently fumbling their propaganda war at home as much as the offensive in Ukraine: https://imgur.com/gallery/6mycNaY

(same thing as a twitter thread: https://twitter.com/irgarner/status/1498334656353218560 )
Super weird - I was kind of friends with him at university. Nice to see him doing so well - and very interesting :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Threviel on March 01, 2022, 05:39:48 AMRussia is only using a small part of their army and air force. It's a total war for Ukraine, it's not yet a total war for Russia. The Russians are fighting with one hand behind their back so far, if it came down to stopping a serious counter-offensive they would start fighting according to their artillery-centric doctrine and stop dead any Ukrainian attack.

Air force yes, but Syt said 75% of Russian ground troops are in Ukraine.  That jibes with what I had read earlier, that 60% of the Russian military was deployed on the border before the invasion.