Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on March 01, 2022, 09:01:32 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 01, 2022, 08:51:24 AMFucking fearless: https://twitter.com/jelle_simons/status/1498649109846241281?s=20&t=T_Y9yBPmhjgYwIk_obeQ1w

This won't end without Russia giving up or having to machine gun down civilians.

Raises ever more the question: even if Russia wins the war - how could they pacify that country if that's how unarmed civilians oppose them even now.

And for all their talk of "protecting Russians" they sure as heck shoot the shit of Kharkiv which is, I think, a pretty Russian city, all things considered.

Probably not many russians left in Ukraine. Russian speaking ukrainians on the other hand...

Syt

From Guardian.

QuoteRussian defence ministry warns Kyiv residents to leave
Russia's defence ministry is warning residents in Kyiv to leave their homes as it plans to strike targets in the Ukrainian capital, Russian state news agency Tass is reporting.

In a statement issued on Tuesday afternoon, the defence ministry says Russian forces are preparing to launch "high-precision strikes" against the "Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) and the 72nd Center for Information and Psychological Operations (PSO)" in Kyiv.

QuoteWe urge Ukrainian citizens involved by Ukrainian nationalists in provocations against Russia, as well as Kiev residents living near relay stations, to leave their homes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Looks like agent Lukashenko has leaked the invasion plans.

https://twitter.com/Den_2042/status/1498674777032114184

Note that the Odessa arrow (was there an attempted landing? I forget if that was debunked or not), ends up in Transinistria.

Josquius

Well this is... A thing.
Ukrainian tiktoker on how to hijack a Russian apc

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1498332884121399307

Anyone speak Slavska here?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on March 01, 2022, 10:36:30 AMLooks like agent Lukashenko has leaked the invasion plans.

Note that the Odessa arrow (was there an attempted landing? I forget if that was debunked or not), ends up in Transinistria.

With these things I always wonder if it was accidental or intentional.  :hmm:

I read something that Russians approached Odessa from the sea today but stopped again, supposedly because their marines refused to attack the city. But that might just be propaganda, wishful thinking, misinterpretation, or all at the same time. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Legbiter

Quote from: Syt on March 01, 2022, 10:50:17 AMI read something that Russians approached Odessa from the sea today but stopped again, supposedly because their marines refused to attack the city. But that might just be propaganda, wishful thinking, misinterpretation, or all at the same time. :P

The could use Chechens for the really gnarly urban fighting. They won't have any hangups.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on March 01, 2022, 10:36:30 AMLooks like agent Lukashenko has leaked the invasion plans.

It's a weird map that doesn't seem to have more info that onlookers, and have the US 1st Cav's insignia on it.

But it does have an arrow going into Moldova, so it seems the world is right, Putin has no intention of stopping at Ukraine.

Syt

Russia has 1500 or so troops in Transnistria. Assuming the map is accurate, it might be the Russians linking up with those units after Putin generously recognizes their independence.

I had overlooked the 1st Cav logo - WTF? :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on March 01, 2022, 11:00:06 AMRussia has 1500 or so troops in Transnistria. Assuming the map is accurate, it might be the Russians linking up with those units after Putin generously recognizes their independence.

I had overlooked the 1st Cav logo - WTF? :D

Apparently the 1st Cav has been in Poland since 2019? So either there for show (evil Americans might intervene any  moment) or they are REALLY thinking the US might join in.

celedhring

Incidentally, does that partition of the country in 4 zones mirror any RL regional division?

Jacob

Quote from: Threviel on March 01, 2022, 03:58:14 AMRepublic of China is sending 27 tons of medical supplies, Taipei wants to make clear that they are taking the side of Democracy in this conflict.

The usurpers in Peking will probably be a bit cross.

Mainland China is pretty divided on this, and the official line is a bit muddled. There's a number of people taking the "those Western imperialists and Ukrainian stooges are being mean to Russia (and hate China)" line - but there are plenty of folks who are taking the side of Ukraine too. The debate is playing out in public too, as the CCP hasn't - as of yet - clamped down on either side.

As for Taiwan, I hope they're taking note and getting ready to stockpile stingers, javelins, and their naval equivalents - not to mention drones. Seems clear that a strategy of "many things" is the way to go to enhance their defensive posture.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on March 01, 2022, 10:57:28 AM

It's a weird map that doesn't seem to have more info that onlookers, and have the US 1st Cav's insignia on it.

But it does have an arrow going into Moldova, so it seems the world is right, Putin has no intention of stopping at Ukraine.

I suppose a land corridor from Russia through Southern Ukraine, linking up with Crimea along the way, might make sense, possibly even just as starters.

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on March 01, 2022, 10:46:00 AMWell this is... A thing.
Ukrainian tiktoker on how to hijack a Russian apc

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1498332884121399307

Anyone speak Slavska here?

Apparently this is a Russian social media thing from before the war.