Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Disney, WB and Sony are stopping their movie launches in Russia. Probably not a huge market for them anyways, not like, you know, China <_<
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on March 01, 2022, 02:50:29 AMDisney, WB and Sony are stopping their movie launches in Russia. Probably not a huge market for them anyways, not like, you know, China <_<

It's not China's size, but this is a significant move. It's a top10 international market for Hollywood.

Syt

US says 75% of assembled Russian force is now within Ukrainian borders. Russia has announced that they're starting an exercise to practice the long range redeployment of forces from the East to Astrakhan.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on March 01, 2022, 03:09:50 AMUS says 75% of assembled Russian force is now within Ukrainian borders. Russia has announced that they're starting an exercise to practice the long range redeployment of forces from the East to Astrakhan.

An "excercise" eh?

The only reason I can think of why they're bothering is to trick their own conscripts and population. Surely no one else believes them.

Syt

Chinese embassy is also starting to evacuate their students etc. from Ukraine. Guess they expect things to get worse before they get better.

Consensus from commenters seems to be that Russia will try and siege Kyiv and starve them out. Alternatively, they could repeat their Syrian strategy - encircle city, provide a temporary corridor for anyone who wants to get out, and then bomb the shit out of the city.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

And from Guardian:
QuoteRussia's advance on Kyiv has made little progress in the past 24 hours due to logistical difficulties and the army has increased its use of artillery north of the capital, a British military intelligence update said.

"The Russian advance on Kyiv has made little progress over the past 24 hours probably as a result of continuing logistical difficulties," the British defence ministry said in a military intelligence update.

"Russian forces have increased their use of artillery north of Kyiv and in vicinities of Kharkiv and Chernihiv. The use of heavy artillery in densely populated urban areas greatly increases the risk of civilian casualties."

"Russia has failed to gain control of the airspace over Ukraine prompting a shift to night operations in an attempt to reduce their losses," it said.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

The whole contested airspace thing is still incredible to me. And the footage from drones bombing Russian convoys keeps pouring in, so it's not a fiction.

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, very strange that Russia does not appear to have complete air superiority  :hmm:

Threviel

Republic of China is sending 27 tons of medical supplies, Taipei wants to make clear that they are taking the side of Democracy in this conflict.

The usurpers in Peking will probably be a bit cross.

The Brain

West Taiwan must be pretty angry at Putin for failing so spectacularly. Now the West's blood is up, and its patience with dictatorships' unprovoked wars of conquest is limited.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on March 01, 2022, 04:04:47 AMWest Taiwan must be pretty angry at Putin for failing so spectacularly. Now the West's blood is up, and its patience with dictatorships' unprovoked wars of conquest is limited.

Am I wrong thinking that this may have bought Taiwan a bit of a breather? China probably didn't expect this kind of response, and Russia's early struggles show that war is still unpredictable even with a massive on paper advantage.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on March 01, 2022, 04:08:03 AM
Quote from: The Brain on March 01, 2022, 04:04:47 AMWest Taiwan must be pretty angry at Putin for failing so spectacularly. Now the West's blood is up, and its patience with dictatorships' unprovoked wars of conquest is limited.

Am I wrong thinking that this may have bought Taiwan a bit of a breather? China probably didn't expect this kind of response, and Russia's early struggles show that war is still unpredictable even with a massive on paper advantage.

I think it has definitely reduced the immediate threat to Taiwan.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

:hmm:
https://twitter.com/Beliakova_P/status/1498371265094107137
QuoteRussian MFA on 🇩🇪 providing weapons to 🇺🇦: "Supplying arms to the ideological successors of a Nazi collaborator Bandera makes us wonder to what degree the process of German denazification had been completed"
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Threviel

One interesting thing for Sweden and Finland in particular and all the rest of European Nato is that all is well right now. But in a few years there's a 50-50 chance that the US will elect some republican asshat that would side with Putin or do nothing in this type of conflict. The US is not a reliable ally.

So if Putin gets out of this we might be looking down the barrel of Russian threats in a few years time with an ineffectual Nato hamstrung by not having the central power of it doing anything.

We need to mobilize as if it's 1939 right now, as soon as humanly possible. European Nato must be a able to stand on its own feet. And Especially so for Sweden and Finland, we've shown ourselves to be enemies of Russia, we are not safe outside of Nato.

Edit: And a republican US might block entrance for nations under threat.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point