Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on February 28, 2022, 05:42:38 PMI think deniable support would be better. Ukrainian guerilla groups based safely in Poland and elsewhere between actions in Ukraine. But flying sorties is not something that could be denied as having official approval, I don't think.

Can someone lend Ukrainians an aircraft carrier instead?

As I raised a few pages back how about drones?

Ukraine does have them. They can even be flown from western Ukraine. It can't be detected if the pilot is actually in Poland.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 28, 2022, 05:49:29 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 28, 2022, 05:46:43 PMI see this Poland thing was said by the Ukrainian military. I really fucking hope this is them misunderstanding/boasting about something that has not been promised.
This is another thing - I think Ukraine has very cleverly bounced a few items where they say "x is going to happen" based on calls with countries, then it doesn't immediately which produces pressure and it does happen. We should be supporting them but a little circumspect - as they're very good at the information war.

Aren't the plane numbers a bit suspect, to begin with?

Admiral Yi

The numbers look reasonable to me for what they would have left over from Warsaw Pact days.

I'm wondering about serviceability for planes that have presumably been mothballed for that long.  Or are they operational?

I'm also concerned by the "pcs," like they're ordering sushi.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2022, 06:06:22 PMThe numbers look reasonable to me for what they would have left over from Warsaw Pact days.

I'm wondering about serviceability for planes that have presumably been mothballed for that long.  Or are they operational?

I'm also concerned by the "pcs," like they're ordering sushi.

I did a quick digging. They are listing the entire Mig-29 and Su-25 stockpile of Bulgaria, and I am pretty sure Bulgaria would not hand over their airforce like that, that's almost treasonous when you might need it yourself.

They list more Mig-29s for Poland than what they officially have in total.

They also list 12 for Slovakia while they have 11 listed, and I think I know why. Wikipedia has a note saying "1 is used in conversion training" which if your English isn't very good you may understand as 12 total. :P

Sheilbh

My bad - apologies. Should have waited for more people on the story before sharing  :Embarrass:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on February 28, 2022, 06:17:53 PMI did a quick digging. They are listing the entire Mig-29 and Su-25 stockpile of Bulgaria, and I am pretty sure Bulgaria would not hand over their airforce like that, that's almost treasonous when you might need it yourself.

They also list 12 for Slovakia while they have 11 listed, and I think I know why. Wikipedia has a note saying "1 is used in conversion training" which if your English isn't very good you may understand as 12 total. :P

But surely they got their hands on some F-16s since joining NATO?

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2022, 06:19:47 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 28, 2022, 06:17:53 PMI did a quick digging. They are listing the entire Mig-29 and Su-25 stockpile of Bulgaria, and I am pretty sure Bulgaria would not hand over their airforce like that, that's almost treasonous when you might need it yourself.

But surely they got their hands on some F-16s since joining NATO?

Bulgaria has 16 F-16s on order but not in stock so again all fighting aircraft of theirs would be given to Ukraine according to Ukraine.

Slovakia has 11 F-16s on order 2 used in training so they also would be giving away their entire combat air force according to Ukraine.

Poland does have like 33 F-16s so their number is the only realistic one.

Sheilbh

Re. Everyone needing to calm down - General Sir Richard Barrons, ex-head of Joint Forces Command saying we should have no-fly zone: "It does mean war with Russia..." :blink: :ph34r::
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1498437262727647237?s=20&t=AUSmIKvh_V0Y63OUYLWzmg

Wildly too flippant. Not wildly thrilled that the discourse has taken a turn to: "yeah - war with Russia, why not? YOLO" from relatively senior/respected figures :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Convoy heading towards kyiv now 40 miles long according to CNN.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on February 28, 2022, 07:22:31 PMConvoy heading towards kyiv now 40 miles long according to CNN.

Convoy of what?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2022, 07:26:25 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 28, 2022, 07:22:31 PMConvoy heading towards kyiv now 40 miles long according to CNN.

Convoy of what?

Demoralized Russian conscripts.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on February 28, 2022, 07:32:10 PM

Convoy of what?

That too. But Russia has a history of using meat grinders to win wars.

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on February 28, 2022, 07:34:24 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 28, 2022, 07:32:10 PM

Convoy of what?

That too. But Russia has a history of using meat grinders to win wars.

And lose them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 28, 2022, 07:15:31 PMRe. Everyone needing to calm down - General Sir Richard Barrons, ex-head of Joint Forces Command saying we should have no-fly zone: "It does mean war with Russia..." :blink: :ph34r::
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1498437262727647237?s=20&t=AUSmIKvh_V0Y63OUYLWzmg

Wildly too flippant. Not wildly thrilled that the discourse has taken a turn to: "yeah - war with Russia, why not? YOLO" from relatively senior/respected figures :mellow:

I think it's coming.

Russia is on record warning Europe against arming the Ukrainian military and saying support will be met with harsh consequences. They're also saying this is the end of Europe as a pacifistic project to unite Europe (they're right about that too, thanks to Putin).

I think there's a solid chance that if Russia does not succeed in conquering Ukraine, pacifying the population, and keeping the West from supporting Ukrainian resistance that they will escalate with Europe and the US. And I don't think they'll succeed, and I don't think Europe - nor the US - is going to abandon Ukraine at this point.