News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Electric cars

Started by Threviel, October 31, 2021, 01:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2023, 07:48:48 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 07, 2023, 06:48:44 AMStop using ChatGPT.
Why?  It's the greatest knowledge force multiplier that has been invented so far, you just have to keep tabs on it if it's really important.

Not really. It's asking a 4 years old that somehow can read questions about any subjects. The answers are kind of right but ultimately wrong.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josquius on July 07, 2023, 07:37:44 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 06, 2023, 04:33:11 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 06, 2023, 03:50:40 PMLooks like finally going hybrid is too expensive for the moment. I don't want to wipe out my bank account paying 30k for one. I just don't get how these new car sellers are in business. Who has that much for a bloody car? I'm probably in the top 20% of income and lol no.

Looking like a Citroën C5 is what we are getting.

Loans? That's how America does it.

Maybe. There are an awful lot of people living in debt in this country.

Having no debt means you are not leveraging properly tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 07, 2023, 08:20:51 AMNot really. It's asking a 4 years old that somehow can read questions about any subjects. The answers are kind of right but ultimately wrong.
If that's all you get out of ChatGPT, especially the GPT4 version, then you're either not using it correctly, or your imagination is too limited.  I use it a lot for data science work, and not just for coding, but also for very theoretical questions. 

The amount of things to know in the field is tremendous, and it's impractical to be aware of even a sizable fraction of relevant developments.  By explaining to ChatGPT what I want to accomplish, I get a lot of useful information that negate the need for me to reinvent the wheel.  It's not like asking a 4 year old, it's like asking a superstar colleague for ideas.

Josquius

When asking chat gpt for factual stuff it overwhelmingly lies with confidence I find.

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 07, 2023, 08:22:15 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 07, 2023, 07:37:44 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 06, 2023, 04:33:11 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 06, 2023, 03:50:40 PMLooks like finally going hybrid is too expensive for the moment. I don't want to wipe out my bank account paying 30k for one. I just don't get how these new car sellers are in business. Who has that much for a bloody car? I'm probably in the top 20% of income and lol no.

Looking like a Citroën C5 is what we are getting.

Loans? That's how America does it.

Maybe. There are an awful lot of people living in debt in this country.

Having no debt means you are not leveraging properly tho.
I don't understand.
Why is it better to pay x a week at 10% interest than go just pay Y now?
If its some kind of deal where the Interest rate is lower than you get from the bank I can see it but not how paying more for a fancy car helps.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Josquius on July 07, 2023, 09:29:48 AMWhen asking chat gpt for factual stuff it overwhelmingly lies with confidence I find.
To each his own, and maybe the free GPT3.5 model is worse than I remember it being.  However, I think that "Stop using ChatGPT" is one of the worst pieces of advice you can give to someone in 2023.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2023, 10:27:51 AMHowever, I think that "Stop using ChatGPT" is one of the worst pieces of advice you can give to someone in 2023.

Depends on your objective, surely.

Personally I'd definitely like people to stop buttressing their arguments with "ChatGPT says" and I'm pretty much over "I had some random idea and put it into ChatGPT, look at the amusing answer" on social media as well.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on July 06, 2023, 08:29:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2023, 07:58:07 PMRight, and now further update that post with the new design specs for the third generation of cars.

I did a search for difference in gen 3 vehicles. Amongst other things I learned brake regen powering has increased from 25% to 40%, a speed increase of top speed by 16 mph to 200 mph, minimum weights were decreased 132 lbs to 1852 lbs, and that batteries are made out of sustainably-sourced minerals, and will be reused and recycled at the end of its life. all very interesting.

All cool to know since I do have a passing interest in electric vehicles. However, i don't see anywhere that the vehicles have identical gearboxes or motors. It could be that my search is deficient in which case I'd graciously accept a link you could provide to set me (us) straight. As it stands now against what I was able to find all I have is your word and your ability to determine the inner workings and construction of vehicles by watching them go around a track.

When I have a bit of time, I will find the YouTube video in which the engineer who designed the motor describes her design.  It's very cool for a number of reasons.

But one of the downsides is that because the individual manufacturers are not engineering, their own engine design, there is less incentive for them to invest in formula E. The future of formula is getting more of an audience, so that there is more revenue to fund individual manufacturers doing their own R&D, that is when I think electric motor technology will really take off. But for the moment formula E still has to get a sufficient audience.

Edit, I should note that there is also one manufacturer who provides the electric recovery and motor components for F1. That manufacturer has also now created its own electric road car.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on July 07, 2023, 10:58:52 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2023, 10:27:51 AMHowever, I think that "Stop using ChatGPT" is one of the worst pieces of advice you can give to someone in 2023.

Personally I'd definitely like people to stop buttressing their arguments with "ChatGPT says" and I'm pretty much over "I had some random idea and put it into ChatGPT, look at the amusing answer" on social media as well.

Yeah, it really depends on the purpose it's being used for. If one wishes to get accurate information about something it is absolutely the wrong tool.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 07, 2023, 08:20:51 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2023, 07:48:48 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 07, 2023, 06:48:44 AMStop using ChatGPT.
Why?  It's the greatest knowledge force multiplier that has been invented so far, you just have to keep tabs on it if it's really important.

Not really. It's asking a 4 years old that somehow can read questions about any subjects. The answers are kind of right but ultimately wrong.

Actually, a four-year-old would be smarter.  At least some effort is made to give a correct answer, rather than just one that sounds good.  Humans need to age a bit before they reach the stage where style means more than substance. 

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2023, 08:51:33 AMIt's not like asking a 4 year old, it's like asking a superstar colleague for ideas.

If your superstar colleague is a compulsive liar, yeah.

While I agree with you that ChatGPT has some uses (especially in the "what's another way to look at this" arena), its main flaw is that, if you don't know enough about the topic to detect its frequent falsehoods, it gets you into trouble, and if you do know enough, it's not adding anything.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on July 07, 2023, 10:58:52 AM

I don't think it does depend on one's objective.  I think every person can benefit from having access to a whole lot of knowledge essentially a question or two away.  Do you need to double check what you get out of ChatGPT?  Yes, if it's very important. 

However, most of the time, what is truly important for improving one's knowledge and understanding is the speed of getting feedback (even if the feedback is not perfectly reliable).  A lot of learning becomes impractical when the time gap between you being curious and having your curiosity satisfied exceeds some threshold.  Low latency is crucial for synthesizing concepts.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on July 07, 2023, 11:32:58 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2023, 08:51:33 AMIt's not like asking a 4 year old, it's like asking a superstar colleague for ideas.

If your superstar colleague is a compulsive liar, yeah.

While I agree with you that ChatGPT has some uses (especially in the "what's another way to look at this" arena), its main flaw is that, if you don't know enough about the topic to detect its frequent falsehoods, it gets you into trouble, and if you do know enough, it's not adding anything.
I think I know quite a bit about data science, and I have some quantifiable accomplishments to show for it.  ChatGPT is adding enough for me that I use it every day at work.  Some of my colleagues also know quite a bit about data science, and they also use ChatGPT for work. 

Maybe data scientists are just more comfortable with uncertainty, I'm not at all bothered that the answer that I get can be wrong.  It's easy to deal with wrong answers, it's very difficult to deal with stuff that you don't know that you don't know.  ChatGPT makes it infinitely easier to be introduced to concepts that will make your life much easier, but that you couldn't know about unless you were lucky or very highly educated.

OttoVonBismarck

Data scientists are probably some of the worst people to act as a representative use case for using ChatGPT precisely because they have a lot of domain expertise at dealing with unreliability.

A huge portion of people using ChatGPT assume every word it emits is 100% true, and don't understand literally anything about it whatsoever.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2023, 11:36:05 AMI don't think it does depend on one's objective.

... and then you go on to state your objective.

QuoteI think every person can benefit from having access to a whole lot of knowledge essentially a question or two away.  Do you need to double check what you get out of ChatGPT?  Yes, if it's very important.

What's the benefit?

I mean, yes having access to knowledge is probably a good in and of itself - but is the combination of convenience and precision offered by ChatGPT superior to alternate forms of accessing knowledge for any given specific use case? That's not a given.

QuoteHowever, most of the time, what is truly important for improving one's knowledge and understanding is the speed of getting feedback (even if the feedback is not perfectly reliable).  A lot of learning becomes impractical when the time gap between you being curious and having your curiosity satisfied exceeds some threshold.  Low latency is crucial for synthesizing concepts.

That gets significantly murkier if the low latency is combined with with imprecision or direct factual errors, especially if you're unable to investigate and critique sources and underlying processes and/ or detect and address likely inaccuracies in the output- whether because you don't have access to them, or whether because you lack the knowledge to do it whatsoever.

OttoVonBismarck

FWIW the "accuracy" issue around ChatGPT isn't that novel. Wikipedia--which in every real sense is an amazing human achievement of knowledge, is often mocked when people "cite it" in formal research or school papers because it...does have inaccuracies in it.

The "problem" with such inaccuracies are pretty manageable, but one reason they often rear their ugly head is a lot of unsophisticated users simply assume "if it is written in Wikipedia, it is true."

When what they should be assuming is "well, someone is saying this on Wikipedia, I should dig deeper in the article citations to confirm it unless I already know to a high reliability it is true based on other knowledge I have."

That is similar to how one should approach ChatGPT, but unsophisticated people approach neither Wikipedia or ChatGPT with this sort of attitude, and instead simply consume it as unambiguous black letter facts.

Which...is also okay, right? Like it's unfortunate, but we've trundled along pretty far as a society with a huge % of the population dumbly believing half truths and inaccuracies in every aspect of their daily life.