News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Electric cars

Started by Threviel, October 31, 2021, 01:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2023, 04:00:25 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2023, 04:37:44 PMI was curious to see what Formula E cars do, so I asked ChatGPT.  Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a convergence.  Some cars don't have a gearbox, some do.

Another example of ChatGPT just making shit up.

Formula E cars all have the same design.
They most definitely do not all have the same design.  The big draw of the series for manufacturers is that many areas of the car are open and not spec, and that includes the drivetrain.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on July 06, 2023, 05:55:24 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2023, 04:00:25 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2023, 04:37:44 PMI was curious to see what Formula E cars do, so I asked ChatGPT.  Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a convergence.  Some cars don't have a gearbox, some do.

Another example of ChatGPT just making shit up.

Formula E cars all have the same design.
They most definitely do not all have the same design.  The big draw of the series for manufacturers is that many areas of the car are open and not spec, and that includes the drivetrain.

You, and ChatGPT might be getting confused with both F1 and what happened in the first year of Formula E.  In that first year, the approach in Formula E was to emulate what occurs in F1 and have manufacturers design to their own specifications.  As you may know, that is a huge part of what separates teams in F1.  But the revenue was not present in F E to use the same model.  As a result, the regulations changed, and all cars used the same specs.  The cars designs are essentially identical now - and with Gen 3 one company designed the engine for all.

One of the exciting changes for the coming season is that all E cars will now have a quick charge capacity so that we will actually see pit stops now.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2023, 06:09:00 PMYou, and ChatGPT might be getting confused with both F1 and what happened in the first year of Formula E.  In that first year, the approach in Formula E was to emulate what occurs in F1 and have manufacturers design to their own specifications.  As you may know, that is a huge part of what separates teams in F1.  But the revenue was not present in F E to use the same model.  As a result, the regulations changed, and all cars used the same specs.  The cars designs are essentially identical now - and with Gen 3 one company designed the engine for all.

One of the exciting changes for the coming season is that all E cars will now have a quick charge capacity so that we will actually see pit stops now.
Either Wiki is also confused along with ChatGPT and myself, or you've got it exactly backwards.  The first season was fully spec, and then the regs were opened up.

QuoteIn the first season, all teams used an electric motor developed by McLaren (the same as that used in its P1 supercar). But since the second season, powertrain manufacturers could build their own electric motor, inverter, gearbox and cooling system although the chassis and battery stayed the same. There were nine manufacturers creating powertrains for the 2016–17 season: ABT Schaeffler, Andretti Technologies, DS-Virgin, Jaguar, Mahindra, NextEV TCR, Penske, Renault, and Venturi.[27]

crazy canuck

Have you ever watched a formula erase in the last year or two.

I am guessing that you were getting all your information from quickly skimming a wiki article.

If you watch the race, you would see that all the cars are identical in design.

HVC

Porsche seems to agree with Dguller, wiki, and ChatGPT

QuoteCars share the same chassis, battery and tyres. The only variable is powertrains, where teams can develop or deploy their own choice of electric motor or gearbox, for example.

https://www.porsche.com/stories/mobility/a-beginners-guide-to-formula-e
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Right, and now further update that post with the new design specs for the third generation of cars.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2023, 07:20:01 PMHave you ever watched a formula erase in the last year or two.

I am guessing that you were getting all your information from quickly skimming a wiki article.

If you watch the race, you would see that all the cars are identical in design.

Not the worst place to get information, all things considered, especially when the alternative is hallucination personified.  How exactly can you tell a difference in powertrains from looking at the cars on TV, in Formula E, Formula 1, or any other series?  Things like engines tend to be under the hood, so to speak.

crazy canuck

You claimed they all had different design, including drive trains.  You were wrong.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2023, 07:58:07 PMRight, and now further update that post with the new design specs for the third generation of cars.

I did a search for difference in gen 3 vehicles. Amongst other things I learned brake regen powering has increased from 25% to 40%, a speed increase of top speed by 16 mph to 200 mph, minimum weights were decreased 132 lbs to 1852 lbs, and that batteries are made out of sustainably-sourced minerals, and will be reused and recycled at the end of its life. all very interesting.

All cool to know since I do have a passing interest in electric vehicles. However, i don't see anywhere that the vehicles have identical gearboxes or motors. It could be that my search is deficient in which case I'd graciously accept a link you could provide to set me (us) straight. As it stands now against what I was able to find all I have is your word and your ability to determine the inner workings and construction of vehicles by watching them go around a track.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2023, 08:22:00 PMYou claimed they all had different design, including drive trains.  You were wrong.

Dude, seriously, WTF is wrong with you?  You seem totally incapable of comprehending any type of communication without reversing it somewhere in your brain.  First you wrote in the most self-assured tone possible something which was exactly the opposite of the truth: you said the first year in the series was open, and then it was a spec series, whereas the reality was exactly the opposite.  The reality was that the first year was a spec year, and then parts of the car were opened up for individual manufacturer development.

Any normal person, after being caught saying something that is black on white false, would pause a little and reconsider the fidelity of their recollection or understanding.  You, on the other hand, just keep doubling down without even double-checking anything on your own.  Then again, maybe you did Google Formula E Gen3 specifications thoroughly, saw five sites talking about half a dozen manufacturers of drivetrains, and saw it as a confirmation that everyone races with the same car now.

This is just bizarre.

DGuller

Incidentally, ChatGPT was not correct about the gearboxes, although probably only because it was out of date.  It appears that all the manufacturers have now converged on using just single-gear transmission.  They're not forced to because that's what the spec car has, they just all developed their powertrains in a direction where the advantage of having gearboxes with multiple gears would not exceed the disadvantages.

EDIT:  Damn you HVC for deleting the post on me.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 06, 2023, 04:33:11 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 06, 2023, 03:50:40 PMLooks like finally going hybrid is too expensive for the moment. I don't want to wipe out my bank account paying 30k for one. I just don't get how these new car sellers are in business. Who has that much for a bloody car? I'm probably in the top 20% of income and lol no.

Looking like a Citroën C5 is what we are getting.

Loans? That's how America does it.

Maybe. There are an awful lot of people living in debt in this country.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 07, 2023, 06:48:44 AMStop using ChatGPT.
Why?  It's the greatest knowledge force multiplier that has been invented so far, you just have to keep tabs on it if it's really important.