News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Are you smarter than an 18 year old?

Started by Josquius, June 23, 2023, 05:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you had to resit your end of school exams how would you fare on average?

Significantly better
3 (16.7%)
A bit better
3 (16.7%)
About the same
0 (0%)
A bit worse
3 (16.7%)
Significantly worse
9 (50%)
AGHHHHH THE ENTROPY IT BURNS.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Jacob

I'm definitely smarter than some 18-year-olds, and there are definitely 18-year-olds who are smarter than me.

Am I smarter now than I was at 18?

I expect 18 year old me would have be beat on absorbing new information, on recalling facts, and on mental speed.

Conversely, I think current me is stronger on risk analysis, on managing unknowns, on understanding motivations, and knowing my own limits.

Not sure which I'd consider smarter.

PDH

I wasn't smarter than an 18 year old when I was 18.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

celedhring

If I retook my university access exams I'd probably score better - except in Math and maybe literature (because of all the stupid mnemotecnic questions rather than actual discussion of literature).

Although it helps that my career and interests line up a lot with the subjects in that exam.

Valmy

If I retook the whole class I would do better. When I was 18 I would skip class and not do my homework, I was a pretty badass student when I went back to school from 2009 to 2014.

But retaking the exams cold vs 18 year old me who just took the courses? Yeah 18 year old me would win. I don't do differential equations on a daily basis, I would need a refresher at least.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on June 25, 2023, 03:01:51 PMI'm definitely smarter than some 18-year-olds, and there are definitely 18-year-olds who are smarter than me.

Am I smarter now than I was at 18?

I expect 18 year old me would have be beat on absorbing new information, on recalling facts, and on mental speed.

Conversely, I think current me is stronger on risk analysis, on managing unknowns, on understanding motivations, and knowing my own limits.

Not sure which I'd consider smarter.

just answer the poll question  :P