News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Electric cars

Started by Threviel, October 31, 2021, 01:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on June 22, 2023, 11:32:19 AMSo model t= Linux. Too much.
Automatic =mac. Too little.
Manual = windows. Just right :p

Do you get regular electric manuals I wonder or are they destined to doom?

As I understand it there's zero point to an "electric manual".

ICE vehicles need multiple gears because they only have max torque and power at higher RPMs, so you want to make sure to stay within the optimal RPM range to keep max power.

An electric doesn't have that problem - it has max torque and power all the way through the RPM range.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on June 22, 2023, 11:37:14 AM:lol: Just try one for like an hour.

Besides, if the petrol engine is on its way out, manual transmission is also on its way out. Better learn it now than when you are 60. :P

Just try the 1978 Ford Transit for one hour with its old-fashioned 4-gearbox and heavy steering, then you'll understand.  :lol:
Diesel obviously, for added fun.

Judging by the 7th Art masterpieces such as the Fast and the Furious, manual transmissions are still all the rage.   :P

Tamas

I was replying to Josq

Jacob

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 22, 2023, 12:17:12 PMJudging by the 7th Art masterpieces such as the Fast and the Furious, manual transmissions are still all the rage.   :P

Even if there weren't culture and identity things tied up in manual transmission, car action films would still tend towards manual. Dramatically shifting gears is visually more interesting and better established in film-making conventions than dramatically stepping on the gas in an automatic car.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Jacob on June 22, 2023, 12:27:35 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 22, 2023, 12:17:12 PMJudging by the 7th Art masterpieces such as the Fast and the Furious, manual transmissions are still all the rage.   :P

Even if there weren't culture and identity things tied up in manual transmission, car action films would still tend towards manual. Dramatically shifting gears is visually more interesting and better established in film-making conventions than dramatically stepping on the gas in an automatic car.

Indeed. That's why it figured so prominently in the best Fast and Furious parody: Superfast! a.k.a (Super)Fast 8 in some countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfast!

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 22, 2023, 11:36:40 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 22, 2023, 09:41:23 AMI get what Josq is saying, I think it's largely down to what you learned on and first use, so many including him and me probably find automatics non-instinctive? You sometimes have to actively 'think' what you're doing with your feet as opposed to a complex but learned muscle memory?

I've driven plenty of autos for work, but only ever own manuals.  :bowler:

I understand though one's kilometrage may vary.  :frog:

When one discovered drving a with a 4-speed gearbox Ford Transit, having a 6 or 7-speed smaller car, with power steering does not feel as much driving.  :P

:lol:

Man I've done so much transit driving down the years, be it a full load of video or sound/light gear whilst at a video company, various transit/transit pickups carrying oil equipment and/or picking up welders/pipe fitters or taking transit minibuses full of students and teachers on expeditions/outdoor activity courses.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Whens the mongers autobiography coming out?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on June 22, 2023, 02:06:16 PMWhens the mongers autobiography coming out?

I know right? Mongers has many layers.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on June 22, 2023, 11:51:57 AM

ICE vehicles need multiple gears because they only have max torque and power at higher RPMs, so you want to make sure to stay within the optimal RPM range to keep max power.

An electric doesn't have that problem - it has max torque and power all the way through the RPM range.
It neither has max torque nor max power throughout the RPM range.  Typical electrical motors have max torque at zero RPM, which decreases linearly, so it makes max power halfway through the range. 

That's still a whole lot more drivable than an ICE engine, which has power peak near the end of the range, but that doesn't mean that you can't make use of a gearbox with an electric motor.  Only motors with a constant power curve would find a gearbox totally useless.

That said, I don't know if that's how the electric motors in passenger cars behave, they may have a different torque curve, but in any case it's mathematically impossible to have max torque and max power at all RPMs.

Zanza

In addition to the above, electric cars might have a transmission, but a single ratio is sufficient to translate from the engine to the axles, so there is no need to switch gears.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2023, 03:44:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 22, 2023, 11:51:57 AM

It neither has max torque nor max power throughout the RPM range.  Typical electrical motors have max torque at zero RPM, which decreases linearly, so it makes max power halfway through the range. 

That's still a whole lot more drivable than an ICE engine, which has power peak near the end of the range, but that doesn't mean that you can't make use of a gearbox with an electric motor.  Only motors with a constant power curve would find a gearbox totally useless.

That said, I don't know if that's how the electric motors in passenger cars behave, they may have a different torque curve, but in any case it's mathematically impossible to have max torque and max power at all RPMs.

You actually made me remember that supposedly Porsche did have a 2-speed transmission.  A quick googling confirms:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28903274/porsche-taycan-transmission/

But still - two speeds is hardly going to give you the same visceral thrill of rowing through a ICE manual tranny, plus the fact that news was from 4 years ago, and I can't find any other BEV car that has done something similar, makes me think it's more of a niche gimmick.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

I was curious to see what Formula E cars do, so I asked ChatGPT.  Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a convergence.  Some cars don't have a gearbox, some do.

Josquius

Looks like finally going hybrid is too expensive for the moment. I don't want to wipe out my bank account paying 30k for one. I just don't get how these new car sellers are in business. Who has that much for a bloody car? I'm probably in the top 20% of income and lol no.

Looking like a Citroën C5 is what we are getting.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2023, 04:37:44 PMI was curious to see what Formula E cars do, so I asked ChatGPT.  Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a convergence.  Some cars don't have a gearbox, some do.

Another example of ChatGPT just making shit up.

Formula E cars all have the same design.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josquius on July 06, 2023, 03:50:40 PMLooks like finally going hybrid is too expensive for the moment. I don't want to wipe out my bank account paying 30k for one. I just don't get how these new car sellers are in business. Who has that much for a bloody car? I'm probably in the top 20% of income and lol no.

Looking like a Citroën C5 is what we are getting.

Loans? That's how America does it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.