News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 16, 2022, 12:13:08 PMOne-third embracing full batshit is pretty bad.  Especially when there is another 10-15% willing to pander or ignore that to get what they want politically.
Not the most reliable source, but still, it shows the priorities of the Republican party.  The party that just got one more House member elected, the party that is likely to win both House and Senate during the mid-terms by discussing 'core-issues', very important to people's heart:

https://www.newsweek.com/marjorie-taylor-greene-slams-kids-drag-shows-needs-illegal-1715866

QuoteRepublican Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia is lashing out against the "indoctrination" of children attending drag shows, arguing that it "needs to be illegal."
Greene maintained that a legal remedy was required to stop children from "stuffing" money into "a drag queen bra" while sharing a video purporting to show the practice at an all-ages drag show by the conservative Libs of TikTok social media account to Twitter on Tuesday. Greene is one of many conservatives to have recently railed against events like "Drag Queen Story Hour," while also saying that the LGBTQ community is attempting to "indoctrinate" or "groom" children.
"This needs to be illegal," Greene tweeted while sharing the video on Tuesday. "What's the difference in children stuffing cash in a drag queen bra and a strippers bra? Nothing. It's wrong and it's indoctrination."
Greene's Communications Director Nick Dyer declined to comment further when asked by Newsweek whether the congresswoman would be in favor of a new law to address the issue, saying only "that's what the tweet says."
Although the Libs of TikTok account claimed that the video shows cash being stuffed into the drag queen's bra by "someone who appears to be a minor," the clip does not include footage of any audience member who is clearly underage doing so. Some young children can be seen handing the drag queen money instead.
During an episode of her MTG:Live streaming show late last month, Greene predicted that heterosexuals were destined to go extinct due to an increase in LGBTQ people.
"They just want you to think that all of a sudden the entire population is steadily turning gay or turning trans," Greene said. "Probably in about four or five generations, no one will be straight anymore. Everyone will be either gay or trans or non-conforming or whatever the list of 50 or 60 different options there are."
Greene has made multiple comments speaking out against the LGBTQ community, with a particular focus on transgender or gender non-conforming people and those who support them. During an interview with conspiracy theorist Alex Jones in February, Greene appeared to suggest that physical violence was "exactly how we need to stand up" to transgender and non-binary people.

a) I would be much more concerned about the need to arm teachers and post security guards at schools to protect children than I would be of them seeing transvestites or transsexuals.

b) Anyone talking about using violence to solve a political problem needs to be jailed.

c) I'm not holding my breath.

d) I'm cautiously leaning toward Zoupa on this: when a substantial proportion of people keep on voting and liking such people, how are we suppose to analyze American politics?  All is fine?  No particular problem in US society right now that warrants some attention by foreigners other than the casual interest in another country's politics?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 16, 2022, 12:13:08 PMOne-third embracing full batshit is pretty bad.  Especially when there is another 10-15% willing to pander or ignore that to get what they want politically.

Yeah, what they are really embracing is the belief that their side (the superheroes) can never lose unless the other side (the supervillains) cheats.  All elections for them are either victories or fraudulent.  When 1/3 of the voters of a nation reject democracy, its hard to see how it ever recovers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Are the Dems hitting back against that specifically?

Like this guy who just got elected - was he asked how he reconciles asking people to vote for him with the fact that he rejects the idea that if a Republican loses, he should not just try to seize power anyway?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on June 16, 2022, 12:54:34 PMAre the Dems hitting back against that specifically?

Like this guy who just got elected - was he asked how he reconciles asking people to vote for him with the fact that he rejects the idea that if a Republican loses, he should not just try to seize power anyway?

To the extent it gets justified, it's by the fact that the only way a Republican can lose (Trump in particular) is by fraud.  So they're not "seizing power", they're just correcting for the fraud.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Zoupa on June 16, 2022, 11:52:13 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 16, 2022, 03:09:15 AMYou're going to have to explain what you mean by "simply gone".

Irredeemable. Gone off the deep end. Crazy.

If smack in the middle of the Jan 6 inquiries/media cycle, people decide to vote for a Q-Anon loony, then I think that kinda qualifies as a cesspool.

Either they embrace the "JFK Jr is coming back", they didn't care enough to do some basic research prior to voting or they didn't vote at all. None of these options are positive indicators.

That is dumb. This particular district voted against Trump both times he was on the ballot. It isn't a pro Trump district.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zoupa

Ok Dorsey. So what's your explanation for that particular district voting for a Qanon candidate?

Admiral Yi

Did you read the link Zoupa?  The term only goes until January and Democratic voters didn't bother voting and the Democratic candidate didn't spend any money.

Zoupa

Even so, I believe the question still stands.

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on June 16, 2022, 07:44:47 PMEven so, I believe the question still stands.

Even so, I believe the answer still stands.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on June 16, 2022, 07:44:47 PMEven so, I believe the question still stands.
Yi has a valid explanation.  It is an exceptional result and it is unique, it is hard to derive a stat from this.

I am more worried about general trends.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Although there is a general trend of Republicans doing increasingly well with Latino voters. There is a route for them to becoming a majority party if it keeps going.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Zoupa on June 16, 2022, 07:21:28 PMOk Dorsey. So what's your explanation for that particular district voting for a Qanon candidate?

Aside from what Yi said, it isn't proof that voters don't see that republicans are awful because they vote for republicans. It is possible that they see republicans as awful but democrats as worse, or at least not worth trusting to have control of all three branches. And that there is a lot of evidence pointing in that direction.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on June 17, 2022, 04:58:18 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on June 16, 2022, 07:21:28 PMOk Dorsey. So what's your explanation for that particular district voting for a Qanon candidate?

Aside from what Yi said, it isn't proof that voters don't see that republicans are awful because they vote for republicans. It is possible that they see republicans as awful but democrats as worse, or at least not worth trusting to have control of all three branches. And that there is a lot of evidence pointing in that direction.

That reasoning definitely moves the US into cesspool territory. 

Eddie Teach

You can just fuck right off.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?