News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2022, 07:04:41 AMThat reasoning definitely moves the US into cesspool territory. 

If tactical voting moves a country into cesspool territory, what does that say about Canada?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

One challenge is whether it's actually just more of a normal American country? If you look at risks in the US - race, warring elites, judicial capture and use of the judiciary to advance or stymie political goals, political deadlock between executive and legislature, one side or other deciding that certain politics represent an existential threat that justifies an "emergency", corruption tolerated if they're "on our side", heavily contested voting rights and systems, powerful special interests particularly around extractive industries and the media etc. I've noted before that generally presidential systems end in an authoritarian capture of the institutions or a "guardian" coup of some form to end deadlock and the US has been an unusual exception.

None of that is new even to the recent political history of countries like Brazil, Bolivia, Argentina, Mexico.

Even now in Colombia there's the first candidate of the left in the run-off in Colombian history (and he is a former guerilla and terrorist) his competition is a hard-right billionaire businessman who's come to prominence mainly via Tik Tok. Bolsonaro ultimately came to power in elections after manoeuvres by the right through the courts and Senate to impeach Rousseff and imprison Lula - Lula's now back and polling enough to win, but Bolsonaro's apparently building support in the military to "prevent fraud". I think it's fairly accepted now that the removal of Morales was illegitimate (or an inappropriate use of legitimate constitutional tools) and subsequently rejected by voters in the elections. It may not be exactly the same as the US and the GOP - but there are definitely echoes.

I think a lot of the way we're understanding America is primarily based on it being exceptional and different from other American states - and that what is happening in America now around the right is also exceptional. I wonder if a more helpful approach (and one that might - I don't know - have success stories of how to fight back for democracy) is looking at it in the context of the rest of the Americas?

Edit: e.g. why does this week's Economist front cover basically stop at the Rio Grande:

And the populist leader is also a big echo - and includes, say, AMLO.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Quote from: Tamas on June 16, 2022, 04:38:50 AMYou Americans get so defensive when somebody from the outside points something negative out.  :lol:

I was totally wrong though. It's no big deal to elect the fascist who believes lizard people rule the world because it's only for 6 months and also previously the district voted for Obama.

The Minsky Moment

It is hard to explain, given that the Obamas were so pro-lizard people, forming a strong relationship with their leader, Elizabeth II.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: Zoupa on June 17, 2022, 09:29:31 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 16, 2022, 04:38:50 AMYou Americans get so defensive when somebody from the outside points something negative out.  :lol:

I was totally wrong though. It's no big deal to elect the fascist who believes lizard people rule the world because it's only for 6 months and also previously the district voted for Obama.
Are you confident that nobody can go through all of Frances various elected officials and not find anyone as ridiculous?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on June 17, 2022, 07:21:59 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2022, 07:04:41 AMThat reasoning definitely moves the US into cesspool territory. 

If tactical voting moves a country into cesspool territory, what does that say about Canada?
we're a cesspool territory.  Well, we're no longer in the top ten peaceful countries, thanks to Liberal rule.  So, according to their own vision of the world, it means we're in a cesspool territory now.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Quote from: Berkut on June 17, 2022, 10:06:19 AM

Are you confident that nobody can go through all of Frances various elected officials and not find anyone as ridiculous?

1- Whataboutism
2- If you do find some, then I would be equally as appalled.

alfred russel

Deeply researching this by reading her wikipedia page and half of an article on businessinsider that popped up, it seems you are concluding that she is a fascist that believes lizard people rule the world based on her using hashtags and nothing else, and she says she never supported qanon.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: Zoupa on June 17, 2022, 10:18:34 AM

1- Whataboutism
And you would conclude then that France is a cesspool?

0 rows returned

Zoupa

Quote from: Berkut on June 17, 2022, 10:40:29 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on June 17, 2022, 10:18:34 AM

1- Whataboutism
And you would conclude then that France is a cesspool?

Parts of it, sure; just like I'd say parts of the US are.

I still don't see what any of this has to do with the discussion at hand.

Zoupa

Quote from: alfred russel on June 17, 2022, 10:33:19 AM

Deeply researching this by reading her wikipedia page and half of an article on businessinsider that popped up, it seems you are concluding that she is a fascist that believes lizard people rule the world based on her using hashtags and nothing else, and she says she never supported qanon.

See? No big deal.

Zoupa

crazy canuck

In a thread devoted to how fucked up the GOP has become, commenting on how fucked up the GOP is making the US, attracts denial from Americans.

Fascinating

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2022, 03:12:26 PMIn a thread devoted to how fucked up the GOP has become, commenting on how fucked up the GOP is making the US, attracts denial from Americans.

Fascinating
You know perfectly well that what you just said is a flat out lie (in that no American has "denied" anything), and you know that everyone else knows it as well.

What is the point?

Everyone involved from the American side, you know perfectly well, agrees that the GOP is fucked up, and is fucking up America. So you know that it isn't how you just characterized it - you know this.

Yet you state something that is just a straight out lie that you KNOW is a lie.

Why? Do you value Zoupa stroking you that much?

0 rows returned