News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

To be fair, South America doesn't have a great record with left wing leaders.  Or right wing leaders, for that matter.

Sheilbh

Still low-key think he might be the candidate in 2024 :ph34r:

Of course that's not a million miles away from the WSJ interpretation of the election. And no doubt they both would have preferred the alternative candidate - a billionaire businessman, with unconvincing hair who built his campaign on social media (TikTok this time) and who famously said he was a great follower of Adolf Hitler, before clarifying that he meant Albert Einstein.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2022, 12:29:33 PMHere's something from my former governor (who was forced out of office because of a bizarre blackmail scheme.  Also a wife beater), who is running for senate in my state.
https://twitter.com/EricGreitens/status/1538876823978713089
Watch it while you can because it may get tacked down since it's violates Twitter's no inciting violence

An almost picture-perfect example of what I've been saying about pathetic Republican cosplayers actually believing they are superheroes battling supervillains.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 20, 2022, 04:59:50 PMwho famously said he was a great follower of Adolf Hitler, before clarifying that he meant Albert Einstein.
:lol: Easy to confuse those two.

Although, Einstein was politically left, so that does not even make sense.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2022, 12:27:29 PMI'm kind of impressed how the Jan 6 commission seems to almost go out of its way to involve Republicans

It's more than that - it's really the Liz Cheney Show, essentially presenting the Republican case against Trump.  Deliberate move by the subcommittee to take the air out attempts to write if off as a partisan attack job (the playbook on both impeachments).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Larch on June 20, 2022, 04:54:35 PMRon DeSantis chips in on international diplomacy:

QuoteRon DeSantis
@GovRonDeSantis

The election in Colombia of a former narco-terrorist Marxist is troubling and disappointing. The spread of left-wing totalitarian ideology in the Western Hemisphere is a growing threat. Florida stands with Colombian Americans on the side of freedom.

I share his concerns.  In one of the Western Hemispheric states, the totalitarian leader is carrying out a bitter campaign of political retaliation against a beloved private enterprise and generous employer, smashing the rule of law to over-ride contracts. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on June 20, 2022, 12:13:46 AMI won't use a word like "cesspool" but I'll admit to being more than mildly concerned about recent developments in the US.
What about the phrase "shit pit"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2022, 08:57:11 AMWhat about the phrase "shit pit"?

I think it's one of those things where it's okay for Americans to use phrases like that, but not for non-Americans.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on June 21, 2022, 10:27:47 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2022, 08:57:11 AMWhat about the phrase "shit pit"?

I think it's one of those things where it's okay for Americans to use phrases like that,

Not really.  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Not even remotely.

Hell, 90% of Languish's political content over the last decade is various flavors of "Holy shit the US is fucked up!"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

Quote from: Berkut on June 21, 2022, 11:50:19 AMNot even remotely.

Hell, 90% of Languish's political content over the last decade is various flavors of "Holy shit the US is fucked up!"

I mean, be less crazy and people will stop calling you crazy :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

So for the Jan 6 committee, apparently a British filmmaker was making a documentary about the Trump campaign.  They captured numerous videos on and around January 6, including interviews with all the major players.

Their film was subpoenaed by the Jan 6 committee and turned over, and will form part of the public commission.

Damn, I mean I know this is only evidence number 10,006, but Trump is such a narcissist.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on June 21, 2022, 12:02:51 PMSo for the Jan 6 committee, apparently a British filmmaker was making a documentary about the Trump campaign.  They captured numerous videos on and around January 6, including interviews with all the major players.

Their film was subpoenaed by the Jan 6 committee and turned over, and will form part of the public commission.

Damn, I mean I know this is only evidence number 10,006, but Trump is such a narcissist.

Any big examples?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

British filmmaker? :hmm:

Really hope it was Louis Theroux accidentally invading the Capitol.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 21, 2022, 02:04:18 PMBritish filmmaker? :hmm:

Really hope it was Louis Theroux accidentally invading the Capitol.

Dude's name is Alex Holder.

QuoteAs a filmmaker, Holder is best known for his documentary Keep Quiet, which covered far-right Hungarian politician Csanad Szagedi's fall from power. Szagedi was the deputy head of Hungary's radical nationalist Jobbik party, and after years of catering to anti-semitic groups was forced to resign when his own Jewish ancestry became public knowledge.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/alex-holder-jan-6-committee-subpoena-1371644/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.