What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I'm not sure it is wise to let the Republicans define the early narrative on this raid.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on August 09, 2022, 01:12:57 AMI'm not sure it is wise to let the Republicans define the early narrative on this raid.

I don't think "defund the FBI!" and "Hillary did the same!" will noticeably move the pile.

On the good guy side it's all speculation at this point because the contents of the warrant are not public knowledge.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2022, 10:41:24 PMWhat kind of demonstrations?

FBI guys demonstrating how to transport boxes of documents from one place to another.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 09, 2022, 07:45:05 AM
Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2022, 10:41:24 PMWhat kind of demonstrations?

FBI guys demonstrating how to transport boxes of documents from one place to another.

Lifting with their knees, not their back?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2022, 10:41:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2022, 10:35:14 PMThere are demonstrations in front of Mar-a-Largo and FBI headquarters.

What kind of demonstrations?
Trump supporters waving Trump flags.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on August 09, 2022, 10:46:49 AMTrump supporters waving Trump flags.

Supporting their favoured wannabe-dictator, I guess.

Valmy

Sorry Trump supporters, your dude is not above the law.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Is there anything actually wrong at all with this FBI search?

All seems very reasonable to me. But of course enforcing the law is only to be done against the other side, corrupt old millionaires are the true victims, etc...
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on August 09, 2022, 03:52:45 PMIs there anything actually wrong at all with this FBI search?

All seems very reasonable to me. But of course enforcing the law is only to be done against the other side, corrupt old millionaires are the true victims, etc...

Yes, it's targetting the GOP and Trump. They're supposed to be above the law.

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on August 09, 2022, 03:52:45 PMIs there anything actually wrong at all with this FBI search?

Well I don't know enough to say if this search was warranted but, at least on its face I have no reason to assume it isn't.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

There's no way we can know. They've not explained it or given any statement about it. Which I think is an issue.

A former President is absolutely subject to the law - but it is different from most searches like this and very high profile. I think they need to communicate, even if very vaguely, why it happened. I'm not sure an information vacuum is helpful or sustainable (and it will be filled with nonsense).
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

If they have enough to get a search warrant on Hillary go right ahead. However I just want to point out he went into office promising to arrest her and never did, which suggests to me they got nothing.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 09, 2022, 04:28:41 PM

There's no way we can know. They've not explained it or given any statement about it. Which I think is an issue.

A former President is absolutely subject to the law - but it is different from most searches like this and very high profile. I think they need to communicate, even if very vaguely, why it happened. I'm not sure an information vacuum is helpful or sustainable (and it will be filled with nonsense).

Yeah the FBI should have a press conference and explain the warrant and so forth. Whatever is disclosable under the law. I completely understand why it wasn't announced beforehand but now that it happened the nation probably deserves to be filled in.

OttoVonBismarck

A search warrant is given by a Federal magistrate on a probable cause standard. Sans some evidence it is improper they should generally assume to be legitimate--Federal magistrates aren't in the business of issuing search warrants if the evidentiary standard is not met, and Federal law enforcement is generally pretty knowledgeable about what they need to present to meet that standard.