What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on August 11, 2022, 05:02:46 AMSeems like he could make a good case that this is just a selective prosecution.

Not a defense.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 11, 2022, 07:48:37 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 11, 2022, 05:02:46 AMSeems like he could make a good case that this is just a selective prosecution.

Not a defense.
It should be, though.  Selective prosecution is a very popular and effective tool of abuse by state.

The Minsky Moment

If selective prosecution were a defense, every white collar criminal defendant would raise it and every case would involve costly meta-litigation about the processes used in deciding which cases to prosecute.  The entire federal criminal justice system would grind to a halt.

Federal prosecutions are by definition selective.  The USAs decide which cases to bring.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 11, 2022, 08:21:13 AMIf selective prosecution were a defense, every white collar criminal defendant would raise it and every case would involve costly meta-litigation about the processes used in deciding which cases to prosecute.  The entire federal criminal justice system would grind to a halt.

Federal prosecutions are by definition selective.  The USAs decide which cases to bring.
I understand the practical limitations, but I think the legal system also has to recognize the dangers of selective enforcement, rather than function at Kohlberg stage 1 level.  Before Putin's Russia became an overt dictatorship, the way regime opponents were punished were by prosecution for crimes that everyone in their position were guilty of.  You wouldn't become rich in 1990s Russia by paying effective tax rates in excess of 100%, so every single person was guilty, but strangely only the ones opposed to Putin were prosecuted for tax evasion.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2022, 08:37:30 AMI understand the practical limitations, but I think the legal system also has to recognize the dangers of selective enforcement, rather than function at Kohlberg stage 1 level.  Before Putin's Russia became an overt dictatorship, the way regime opponents were punished were by prosecution for crimes that everyone in their position were guilty of.  You wouldn't become rich in 1990s Russia by paying effective tax rates in excess of 100%, so every single person was guilty, but strangely only the ones opposed to Putin were prosecuted for tax evasion.

While this is true about Putin's Russia (and Xi's China, for that matter) do you genuinely believe there are relevant parallels to whatever the FBI is doing right now? Do you genuinely believe that someone has designs to turn the US into a Democrat dictatorship, and they're using the FBI to advance that agenda?

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2022, 08:37:30 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 11, 2022, 08:21:13 AMIf selective prosecution were a defense, every white collar criminal defendant would raise it and every case would involve costly meta-litigation about the processes used in deciding which cases to prosecute.  The entire federal criminal justice system would grind to a halt.

I understand the practical limitations, but I think the legal system also has to recognize the dangers of selective enforcement, rather than function at Kohlberg stage 1 level.  Before Putin's Russia became an overt dictatorship, the way regime opponents were punished were by prosecution for crimes that everyone in their position were guilty of.  You wouldn't become rich in 1990s Russia by paying effective tax rates in excess of 100%, so every single person was guilty, but strangely only the ones opposed to Putin were prosecuted for tax evasion.

Yes I am aware of that and AFAIK the laws were pretty much designed for this purpose. If there are laws that everybody has to break then we probably should dump those laws.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2022, 08:13:20 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 11, 2022, 07:48:37 AM

Not a defense.
It should be, though.  Selective prosecution is a very popular and effective tool of abuse by state.

So should we randomly prosecute based on RNG or something?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

I think selective prosecution is very unsound.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Has there been any official-ish info on what the warrant entailed or what was taken?

I saw comments that Trump would be free to release his copy and the list of confiscated items if he so chooses, though even if it was all made up charges and they took Eric's teddy bear I'm not sure there would be much benefit to it? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 11, 2022, 11:13:04 AMI think selective prosecution is very unsound.

There are only so many resources.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on August 11, 2022, 11:13:04 AMI think selective prosecution is very unsound.

Selective in the sense of devoting resources to the worst offenders, good chance of conviction and in the interests of Justice to pursue is actually exactly what we want from a prosecutorial exercise of discretion.

The alternative is no exercise of discretion and that would be horrific.

Jacob

I agree that the notion that politicians should wield the justice system to prosecute opponents is completely unsound.

My understanding is that that is why liberal democracies have prosecution decisions taken at arms length by professoinal prosecutors offices, as removed as possible from being influenced politically.

Those prosecutors use their discretion - based on the severity of the offenses, the evidence available, the likelihood of conviction, and broad objectives set by policy makers (which may not include "attack my opponents") on which crimes and potential crimes are investigated and prosecuted.

Those of you speaking of "selective prosection" being problemeatic in the context of the FBI seizing materials from Trump's safe, are you suggesting that there was undue influence from politicians in the decision-making that led to FBI's actions? Or are you saying that the whole idea of prosecutional discretion - which is as far as I understand it present in every single justice system in the West - is fundamentally unsound an the FBI seizing evidence from Trump highlights this? Or something else?

Razgovory

Someone attacked an FBI office in Indiana.  He didn't get in and now there's a stand off.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2022, 01:28:09 PMSomeone attacked an FBI office in Indiana.  He didn't get in and now there's a stand off.

Indiana or Cincinnati? I'm seeing reporting on an attack in Cincinnati so it's crazy if there are two concurrent.

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 11, 2022, 01:37:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2022, 01:28:09 PMSomeone attacked an FBI office in Indiana.  He didn't get in and now there's a stand off.

Indiana or Cincinnati? I'm seeing reporting on an attack in Cincinnati so it's crazy if there are two concurrent.

Sorry, for some reason I thought it was Indianapolis.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017