What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The government moved to unseal the Mar-a-Lago search warrant.  Presumably the motion will be granted if Trump consents.  Ball in his court . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 11, 2022, 05:10:34 PMThe government moved to unseal the Mar-a-Lago search warrant.  Presumably the motion will be granted if Trump consents.  Ball in his court . . .

Just heard this discussed on NPR.  Their take is it's a move to make Donald put up or shut up.

:yeah:

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2022, 05:12:27 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 11, 2022, 05:10:34 PMThe government moved to unseal the Mar-a-Lago search warrant.  Presumably the motion will be granted if Trump consents.  Ball in his court . . .

Just heard this discussed on NPR.  Their take is it's a move to make Donald put up or shut up.

:yeah:

Prediction: he doesn't put up, he doesn't shut up, and his supporters don't care.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on August 11, 2022, 01:03:19 PMI agree that the notion that politicians should wield the justice system to prosecute opponents is completely unsound.

My understanding is that that is why liberal democracies have prosecution decisions taken at arms length by professoinal prosecutors offices, as removed as possible from being influenced politically.

Those prosecutors use their discretion - based on the severity of the offenses, the evidence available, the likelihood of conviction, and broad objectives set by policy makers (which may not include "attack my opponents") on which crimes and potential crimes are investigated and prosecuted.

Those of you speaking of "selective prosection" being problemeatic in the context of the FBI seizing materials from Trump's safe, are you suggesting that there was undue influence from politicians in the decision-making that led to FBI's actions? Or are you saying that the whole idea of prosecutional discretion - which is as far as I understand it present in every single justice system in the West - is fundamentally unsound an the FBI seizing evidence from Trump highlights this? Or something else?
I wasn't talking about it in this context, I was making a general point in response to Minsky's general point.  I'm not even arguing that selective enforcement applies in Trump's case, I don't know that it does, but I think when the concept does apply, the legal system should take some consideration of how consistently the law is enforced.  Trump's claims should be dismissed on account of enforcement not being selective, and one shouldn't dismiss the problematic nature of selective enforcement when it does happen.  Likewise, if Trump claims to be a victim of vigilante justice, you should be rejecting the fact that he was a victim of vigilante justice, you shouldn't be extolling the virtues of vigilante justice.

A very familiar manner of selective enforcement are traffic laws.  Observe a driver for long enough, and you're almost certainly going to witness a violation of some traffic law, or some vehicle code violation.  When everyone is a violator, the enforcement action becomes 100% determined by police discretion.  Unfortunately, the vast majority of police officers in US interpret discretion as unchecked power to make arbitrary decisions or to have their own criteria for who gets to be subjected to enforcement.

Sheilbh

The sudden quiet on the right about wanting to see the search warrant reminds me of the speed at which they went from demanding investigations and impeachment for the Roe leak to deafening silence.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 11, 2022, 01:37:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2022, 01:28:09 PMSomeone attacked an FBI office in Indiana.  He didn't get in and now there's a stand off.

Indiana or Cincinnati? I'm seeing reporting on an attack in Cincinnati so it's crazy if there are two concurrent.
He's dead now.  Thought he could knock out bullet proof glass with a nail gun.  He led police on a merry chase before being gunned down.  I imagine we'll have more of this if Trump gets prosecuted. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

So apparently the Feds were searching for nuclear secrets at Mar a Lago.

What does Donald need to keep nuclear secrets for?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DGuller

Did he ever hand off the nuclear launch codes to Biden? :unsure:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 11, 2022, 08:08:26 PMSo apparently the Feds were searching for nuclear secrets at Mar a Lago.

That's the big question, what was Donald's motivation?  Money or political gain are the obvious answers.

HVC

Give it to his Russian pals? Or he might just be dumb enough that he thought it would be cool to have.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Will there come a point when the thread might have to be retitled ' ..... a Trump dictatorship' ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

It seems within the realm of possibility, though hopefully still faint.

viper37

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 11, 2022, 08:08:26 PMSo apparently the Feds were searching for nuclear secrets at Mar a Lago.

How much do you think it is worth for some governments?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

As the Ultimate Declassifier, Trump World is now Counter Punching with the fact that he Declassified all those Documents before he left, as he was the President and he had the Absolute Authority to do so. Check Mate, Merrick! #DeepState #MAGA #GetsAwayWithItAgain #HaHaHa #NobodyCares