News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I think Turings case stands out because its easier to grasp of just how cruel the law was if it could hound somebody extraordinary like Turing to suicide.

Is that fair to the countless others who equally suffered because of that ridiculous medieval law? Of course not but also I don't think it hurts the understanding of their plight to have a high visibility showcase of it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on July 31, 2022, 06:38:42 PMIs that fair to the countless others who equally suffered because of that ridiculous medieval law? Of course not but also I don't think it hurts the understanding of their plight to have a high visibility showcase of it.
I agree but it's modern, not medieval. Medieval sodomy laws were actually fairly stringent - it was ecclesiastical (so penance was the punishment normally) until the Reformation. Though I don't think anywhere in England got as advanced as medieval Florence where they were basically taxing sodomy.

After the Reformation you get the Buggery Act which only covered anal penetration which was a capital offence (and then life sentence after the 1860s). But until the 1860s it required both ejaculation and at least one (possibly two?) testifying eye witness, which meant prosecutions were limited :lol:

It was a modern law that criminalised most homosexual acts. It's only in the 1880s with the Labouchere amendement creating the crime of "gross indecency" which was far more flexible - and not defined. It was in the middle of a moral panic about the degeneracy of London - sodomites everywhere (I think it's just before the Cleveland Street scandal), reports that you could buy children on the streets, modern Babylon etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

What's this I hear about a Road House remake? :angry:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

As someone said about Point Break, "No Swayze, no wayzee".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Not TV or a movie but just been to see Mark Rylance in the revival of Jerusalem. An incredible play and the best performance by an actor that I've ever seen.

I really hope there's been an NT Live style recording/broadcast.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 02, 2022, 05:11:15 PMNot TV or a movie but just been to see Mark Rylance in the revival of Jerusalem. An incredible play and the best performance by an actor that I've ever seen.

I really hope there's been an NT Live style recording/broadcast.

:cool:

I'd like to see that.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 02, 2022, 04:29:02 PMAs someone said about Point Break, "No Swayze, no wayzee".

Fun line.

Syt

Another great episode of Better Call Saul. Loved the flashback, but not sure about the point except fan service, maybe? Though I guess it informs why Jimmy is keen on seeing through the scam on the cancer guy, knowing they can be assholes, like everyone else.

Also, it's funny to see how quickly he falls back on his old habits. Someone looked up the college football references from last episode, and it seems the b/w "current day" parts are set not even a year after the end of Breaking Bad. Slippin' Jimmy slippin' back awfully fast. We don't know why his attempt to reach out to Kim sent him into a rage, but afterwards he's basically back to his "old self" (not least personified by his weird massage machine) and pulling a new scam.

I thought it was interesting, that his minions from last episode actually had to be convinced to go back into business with him - seems they took their talking to very seriously. And it also parallels Walter White who couldn't leave well enough alone and had to keep going till it all collapsed on him.

And we see him starting to crack and become careless and giving in to his emotions. He meets Jeff after dark, and his sweet mother notices them talking agitated. Instead of cleanly going in and leaving no trace, he smashes the window of the cancer guy (again, maybe to exact revenge by proxy on WW?). He's going to a strip club with his "crew" and hires hookers (not sure if legal in Nebraska, or if there might be questions about how a Cinnabon manager can afford them on the reg).

Not sure what I expect to come out of the final episode. I kind of hope that he does get caught and goes and does his time in jail. I feel with his skills he would carve out a comfy niche for himself inside and could start over with a clean slate, maybe even get released early, maybe reconnect with Kim? We'll see next week. :D

EDIT: oops, there's two more episodes, not one. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Big Little Lies (HBO), S1. Monterey parents scheme, love, fight, abuse. Very very good drama. Recommended.

Eddie Teach

Excellent tits in that one.

Josquius

So. The batwoman story is weird. Finished filming but never to be released in any form.  :ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Damn, now I want to see it.

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on August 03, 2022, 01:40:29 PMSo. The batwoman story is weird. Finished filming but never to be released in any form.  :ph34r:

Probably the Umpty Candy syndrome. It's too enjoyable.

HVC

Spent 90 million on it. Wasn't even supposed to be a theatrical release, but a streaming one. Did bad with test audiences. Either it was so bad they buried a finished film, or there still some money needed finish it and the test were bad enough it wasn't worth the money to finish.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.