News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on July 21, 2022, 01:53:02 AMFunnily, I haven't read the book - it came out when my Song of Fire & Ice frenzy was beginning to wane. Should get that done quick before the show hits.

I think it's best avoided. It's not really a novel in the style of the other books, but some kind of pseudo-historical cronicle presumably written long past the action took place, employing a number of contradictory sources (AFAIK this was done to disguise that the book is a pastiche of original material by Martin for the book, stuff Martin had written for other books and stuff extracted from the "A world of Ice and Fire" guide book written by other people). I read some sample chapters and it was quite dreary.

Josephus

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 20, 2022, 02:41:50 PMThey're not going to show boobies and incest in the trailer.  :rolleyes:

I doubt there will be any boobies.  :(  HBO has gotten woke. Look at Westworld. S 1 was full of boobies, not a one in sight in this season.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on July 21, 2022, 05:19:43 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 21, 2022, 01:53:02 AMFunnily, I haven't read the book - it came out when my Song of Fire & Ice frenzy was beginning to wane. Should get that done quick before the show hits.

I think it's best avoided. It's not really a novel in the style of the other books, but some kind of pseudo-historical cronicle presumably written long past the action took place, employing a number of contradictory sources (AFAIK this was done to disguise that the book is a pastiche of original material by Martin for the book, stuff Martin had written for other books and stuff extracted from the "A world of Ice and Fire" guide book written by other people). I read some sample chapters and it was quite dreary.

I really enjoyed it as felt like a history book but of a fictional setting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2022, 05:57:21 AM

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it, for me it felt a bit too dry.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2022, 05:57:21 AM

Same here, Garbon. I can see why someone wouldn't enjoy it because it is, after all, not quite a novel. But the stories in the middle, especially, were quite exciting and the narrative no less interesting than some of the better histories I've read.

There's tons of material for the showrunners to work with.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Seems Paramount+ will launch in Austria/Germany/Switzerland in December at a rate of 7.99/month.

Looking forward to finally watching Strange New Worlds, Discovery Season 4, Prodigy.  :whistle:  :goodboy:  :ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor among thieves
https://www.imdb.com/video/vi2603270681/?ref_=tt_vi_i_1

I am not really impressed by what I'm seeing of this trailer.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Captain Kirk visits westeros.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

'A hologram for the King' - Entertaining Tom Hanks comedy set in Saudi Arabia.

Though goodness knows why the KSA allowed filming there as it's not exactly uncritical of the country.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: viper37 on July 22, 2022, 01:52:07 PMDungeons & Dragons: Honor among thieves
https://www.imdb.com/video/vi2603270681/?ref_=tt_vi_i_1

I am not really impressed by what I'm seeing of this trailer.
It has displacer beasts, gelatinous cubes, owlbears! What mroe could you want? A beholder or two would be cool though. It is sad that Futurama had the best showing of a beholder.

Mulmaster Beholder Corps for the win!
PDH!

Tonitrus

HVC

I have a feeling it won't be very good, the the sandman's cgi looks good at least.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Short scene from Sandman, and damn, I think I have something in my eye.  :cry:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1551599804916142080
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

That looks like a good vision of what the Beat of Her Wings would look like on screen.
PDH!

The Larch

Given Gaiman's personal involvement on the show, I remain hopeful.