News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 14, 2022, 11:58:26 AM10 years ago for the US market?!
I knew we did not get the same models over here but I am surprised such a big name exited the field. Bad news. Is it just TVs?
Only TVs, as far as I can tell.  They still make blu-ray players, cameras, phones, etc.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on July 14, 2022, 12:26:56 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 14, 2022, 02:23:38 AMLG are a disappointment. I bought an LG and its missing a lot of key apps. Would go Samsung in hindsight.

What apps in particular?

In the UK its missing channel 4, one of the main stations.
More broadly they don't have steam, the geforce streaming thing, etc... That Samsung owners tell me of.

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 14, 2022, 01:00:46 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 14, 2022, 02:23:38 AMLG are a disappointment. I bought an LG and its missing a lot of key apps. Would go Samsung in hindsight.

Buy an Apple TV 4k.

But I like my kidneys 😔
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

... man I'm so out of the loop. My TV is old enough that it doesn't have any apps at all. I mean, we have some via external gadgets and whatnot, but I didn't realize app ecosystem was a significant concern when buying a new TV.

The Larch

The most complicated thing my TV has is a Chromecast.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

My Samsung is 5 years old and it does run apps, but it has so little onboard memory that I can't install anything outside of Netflix/Disney/HBO/etc and the steam app to play games on the telly. But I don't really need anything else.

Tamas

Buy an Apple TV 4k.

:bleeding: there are tons of far cheaper android devices he could use for the same purpose.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2022, 10:01:09 PMPeople still have TVs? :unsure:

I use mine mostly to watch Youtube in a large screen.  :lol:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on July 15, 2022, 03:29:55 AM

Buy an Apple TV 4k.

:bleeding: there are tons of far cheaper android devices he could use for the same purpose.

That's too shady. And with the ATV4k you get Appstore apps.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on July 14, 2022, 05:52:42 PMThe most complicated thing my TV has is a Chromecast.

Mine has some apps - its pretty old.  But I just use the chromecast the boys hooked up to it.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Jacob on July 14, 2022, 05:50:36 PM... man I'm so out of the loop. My TV is old enough that it doesn't have any apps at all. I mean, we have some via external gadgets and whatnot, but I didn't realize app ecosystem was a significant concern when buying a new TV.

I don't care about apps and find them not a significant concern if it's that of any help.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on July 15, 2022, 05:18:38 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2022, 10:01:09 PMPeople still have TVs? :unsure:

I use mine mostly to watch Youtube in a large screen.  :lol:

Given the crappy compressed quality of Youtube that must be a treat.  :lol:

Josquius

I don't have a TV license so pretty much just use apps on mine.
With my old TV I had a fire tv stick plugged in but the quality and convenience is much better from built in apps.
I need to keep the fire stick for channel 4 though, and previously was trying to use it for kodi until amazon cut that off a few weeks after I started.
I should really buy a 3rd party stick.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on July 14, 2022, 05:50:36 PM... man I'm so out of the loop. My TV is old enough that it doesn't have any apps at all. I mean, we have some via external gadgets and whatnot, but I didn't realize app ecosystem was a significant concern when buying a new TV.
It is, for some people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

The Terminal list

Stars Chris Pratt, Taylor Kitsch and Constance Wu, one episode directed by Antoine Fuqua.  Also stars Jai Courtney, from Game of Thrones.

It has superb acting. It's a good story, especially in the first 2-3 episodes where you are left guessing what is really going on.

The caveat: for the type of show it wants to be, it could have easily been compressed to 6 episodes (instead of 8).  I find the pace way too slow, sometimes, and for an action story, I feel we are losing the tempo and I find myself often skipping through parts of it.

I still recommend to watch this, at some point.  I'm on episode 5, slowly going through it.

EDIT:
I'm revising my judgement after seeing all the episodes.
It's a silly story that does not really hold up to scrutiny.