News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I was talking about buzz and excitement and success.

celedhring

Knives Out was far more successful than Blade Runner and she's comfortably the second most important character in the movie. She's also getting her Oscar vehicle with the Marilyn Monroe movie. Her career's fine.

Admiral Yi

The Larch

I'd dare say that she's a bit of an "it girl" at the moment, well on her way to become a household name in Hollywood.

Eddie Teach

She seems an odd choice to play Marilyn.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Trust Hollywood's makeup artists.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Larch on July 28, 2022, 07:19:40 AMTrust Hollywood's makeup artists.

Not much talking in that trailer.

She still had her accent playing a CIA agent in Grey Man.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Her character in Grey Man is a Hispanic CIA agent, you know  :P - but her accent is indeed not entirely successful in the newest Blonde trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIsFywuZPoQ&t=64s&ab_channel=Netflix

Syt

This latest episode of Orville ... man, I've missed those kind of episodes on sci-fi shows recently.

The season so far was leaning heavily into character arcs while moving along the grander story of the galaxy at large.

This episode went full on pulp space opera: Shifting alliances between empires! Treason in the highest ranks! Mortal enemies joining in common purpose! A doomsday device! Big, dumb space battle with lasers and explosions! Dog fighting between fighters and even a bit of a trench run! Commando assault on an enemy base! Heroic sacrifice! :D

It threw me back to the days of B5 and DS9 (not quite reaching their heights, tbh), or some of the bigger battles on Clone Wars and Rebels. And damn, I've been missing this kind of high stakes, OTT space action. Star Trek had some of it in recent years but generally opted for a more grounded, grittier approach than this episode. The outcome/resolution was IMHO quite predictable, but it was still a nice throwback to a simpler time. :cool:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Senior Year-Rebel Wilson is a high school cheerleader who wakes up after a 20 year coma.
Sure. It's never going to be the best thing ever. But still, its a workable enough concept there could have been something to it.
It... Has some small funny moments but generally it's just cringy. Way OTT about "lol gen z are really inclusive and weird"
██████
██████
██████

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on July 28, 2022, 07:19:40 AMTrust Hollywood's makeup artists.

:huh:

Looks like someone dressing up for Halloween.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

The Imitation Game. Alan Turing fights Hitler, the law. It was OK. I haven't read about the details, and I understand the need to dramatize and simplify in a movie, but the treatment of the question of what to do with Ultra information seems a bit too ridiculous.

It has always seemed to me that there are two stories about Turing: his war hero/science stuff, and his conviction for homosexuality and eventual suicide. The connection however is less obvious to me. Was it poor show of the state to treat a major (though secret) war hero like that? Kinda. But either the law was unjust (I think a good case can be made that it was) or it wasn't. All the thousands of average/normal/unremarkable men convicted were treated just as unjustly as Turing IMHO. If he had been convicted of a "real" crime I think his WW2 stuff should have counted for nought, and I don't see any difference for a "fake" crime.

Wiki tells me that men in Scotland and Northern Ireland are still waiting for their pardons in the style of the Alan Turing law. Is there any movement on that?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

I think there are in both jurisdictions. There's been a bill that's come up a couple of times in Scotland but normally it gets crowded out by more urgent stuff. Northern Ireland will probably be more difficult.

The Cairncross/Soviet spy stuff in that film really annoys me - because it seems to replicate the bigotry/stereotype the rest of the film is arguably trying to counter in some way.
Let's bomb Russia!