French police going Erdogan over al-niqab?

Started by Duque de Bragança, June 13, 2013, 03:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 13, 2013, 03:20:58 PM"Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and render unto God that which is God's."

"My kingdom is not of this earth."

Of course there is.

Seems like there's a significant block in US politics who do not make that distinction, though.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2013, 03:21:16 PMThe secular state and religion are separate.  Which really was one of the foundations of Christendom...until the Lutherans anyway.

... yeah, the evangelical right doesn't seem that big on separation of state and religion.

EDIT: And it's a bit of a stretch to claim any significant separation of politics and religion in pre-Lutheran Europe as well.

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2013, 03:21:16 PM
The secular state and religion are separate.  Which really was one of the foundations of Christendom...until the Lutherans Constantine anyway.

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on June 13, 2013, 03:25:52 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2013, 03:21:16 PM
The secular state and religion are separate.  Which really was one of the foundations of Christendom...until the Lutherans Constantine anyway.

Constantine was never made head of the Church, in fact he was very clear he was not a priest or an authority.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on June 13, 2013, 03:23:44 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2013, 03:21:16 PMThe secular state and religion are separate.  Which really was one of the foundations of Christendom...until the Lutherans anyway.

... yeah, the evangelical right doesn't seem that big on separation of state and religion.

EDIT: And it's a bit of a stretch to claim any significant separation of politics and religion in pre-Lutheran Europe as well.

The distinction was between secular rulers and church.  A 'separation of politics and religion' does not exist anywhere today in some pure form.  But that strikes me as moving the goal posts to an impossible standard.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2013, 03:35:33 PM
A 'separation of politics and religion' does not exist anywhere today in some pure form.

I agree. Only possible with a population 100% atheist or in an atheist dictatorship.

merithyn

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 13, 2013, 01:41:41 PM

You don't even have an idea of what is to be an immigrant or a son of an immigrant...

Increasing immigrant alienation? Only, the hardcore muslim ones if salafist is too specific.
I'll repeat this for the last time: wait until you have the same numbers and proportions of troublesome immigrants then you can have an enlightened viewpoint.

Okay, so as an American I get to have an opinion on this, right? Since, you know, this has been an ongoing issue in the States for.. 100 years? Wait... probably longer. And as the wife of an immigrant, a sister-in-law to two immigrants, and the foster child of a first-generation American, I think I hit all of the marks.

And guess what? Your country is doing it wrong for the stated goal.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Good job guys.  I'm glad someone was able to make Tamas listen. :)
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on June 13, 2013, 03:50:46 PM
Okay, so as an American I get to have an opinion on this, right? Since, you know, this has been an ongoing issue in the States for.. 100 years? Wait... probably longer. And as the wife of an immigrant, a sister-in-law to two immigrants, and the foster child of a first-generation American, I think I hit all of the marks.

And guess what? Your country is doing it wrong for the stated goal.

You don't hit the one mark he set, which was to wait until you have as many troublesome immigrants as France does.

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on June 13, 2013, 01:52:47 PM

You are completely wrong about me not knowing about what it is like being the child of an immigrant - my wife is the child of an immigrant.

lol

Let me guess: you also know what it's like to be a woman?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 13, 2013, 03:54:39 PM

You don't hit the one mark he set, which was to wait until you have as many troublesome immigrants as France does.

:huh:

Republicans are telling me that the Mexicans are the worst sort of immigrant. How much more "troublesome" can it get?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on June 13, 2013, 03:58:01 PM

Republicans are telling me that the Mexicans are the worst sort of immigrant. How much more "troublesome" can it get?

Are they in fact the worst sort of immigrant?

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on June 13, 2013, 03:58:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 13, 2013, 03:54:39 PM

LOL they sure the heck are not saying that here.  George W Bush even spoke in funny accented Spanish.  And the Mexicans are practically the definition of easy immigrants. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 13, 2013, 01:41:41 PM
Besides as an outsider, you can only rely on indirect sources. You didn't know about the relative numbers of muslims, how the "sacro-sanct freedom of clothing" is abused by gangs, not necessarily muslim btw if that makes you feel better. Are you really suggesting that delinquents do no like to hide their faces from CCTV and cops? Try entering a bank with a motorbike helmet and see what happens.

The US is getting a hard time in the other thread for collecting phone metadata.  I can't imagine what the reaction would be if the FBI proposed to regulate what people would wear on their heads b/c it would interfere with their ability to compile CCTV surveillance footage.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 13, 2013, 02:03:50 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2013, 01:20:02 PM
I hate the phrase 'moderate Islam'. Moderation is a political not a religious virtue. Even your trendiest vicar would probably object to being called a 'moderate Christian'.

It's a useful distinction in a religion that kills and clubs people for looking or acting the wrong way.

Besides, in Islam there is no distinction between politics and religion. :nerd:

This second sentence is precisely what the activists said about Catholics in the US for over 100 years.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017