The dialects of America - soda vs. pop revisited

Started by Syt, June 06, 2013, 11:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Does anyone here pronounce been as "bean?"  I say bin and bean sounds really bizarre to me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2013, 12:05:26 PM
Does anyone here pronounce been as "bean?"  I say bin and bean sounds really bizarre to me.

bin, here
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

I am not sure how you pronounce "bean" :P

The option on the map is sounds like "seen".  That is how I pronounce it.  I have heard people pronounce it as "bin" but those people are mainly from rural parts of the prairie provinces who have a lot of grammatical and pronounciation oddities.

How do you pronounce it?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 06, 2013, 12:15:00 PM
I am not sure how you pronounce "bean" :P

The option on the map is sounds like "seen".  That is how I pronounce it.  I have heard people pronounce it as "bin" but those people are mainly from rural parts of the prairie provinces who have a lot of grammatical and pronounciation oddities.

How do you pronounce it?

QuoteI say bin

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 06, 2013, 12:05:47 PM
I hear that only hicks call soda "pop".

The only time I hear the word soda is when someone is baking with it - baking soda.

Pop is the common word here.

Eddie Teach

Not surprising, as Canada is generally like the Midwest, only colder and emptier.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 06, 2013, 12:20:51 PM
Not surprising, as Canada is generally like the Midwest, only colder and emptier.

Not Vancouver, which is in all ways far superior.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2013, 12:31:52 PM
How is been and bean different?

I am not sure.  I think they are the same.  But to be safe I thought we should use "seen" as the comparitor as I have no idea how certain Americans might pronounce bean given they think been is bin.

merithyn

I pronounce it "ben". I think "bin" sounds silly, and "bean" sounds pretentious from an American.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on June 06, 2013, 12:34:43 PM
I pronounce it "ben". I think "bin" sounds silly, and "bean" sounds pretentious from an American.

I'm okay with ben.