Moms are main breadwinners in 40% of households with children

Started by Syt, May 31, 2013, 12:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Percentage of the population that is married is at an all-time low. Soooo yeah. Add to that women making more scratch and this seems like a natural thing to expect.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 31, 2013, 12:36:25 PM
Percentage of the population that is married is at an all-time low. Soooo yeah. Add to that women making more scratch and this seems like a natural thing to expect.

We need to re-introduce the Lex Julia.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

The increase in mothers who outearn their husbands is a non-issue as a social concern - as the report notes, that's a segement of the population that tends on average to be quite well off. Those kids are, again on average, going to do okay. It's not even seen as a social issue by the average idiot - again, according to the report.

The big social problem is the increase in mothers who were never married. Those kids are, on average, more likely to grow up poor.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 31, 2013, 12:41:25 PM
The big social problem is the increase in mothers who were never married. Those kids are, on average, more likely to grow up poor.

Well there is also a rise in single dads...with alot of the same issues only slightly less bad.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

lustindarkness

Quote from: Maximus on May 31, 2013, 12:35:43 PM
I dunno, it might lead to women wanting to drive.

Letting them drive would be almost as bad as letting them vote.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Easily fixed by obligatory 5 minute marriages at 15 (10 for minorities).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2013, 12:47:07 PM

Well there is also a rise in single dads...with alot of the same issues only slightly less bad.

The report breaks it down into three groups:

(1) Mothers who earn more than their husbands;

(2) Single mothers who are divorced, seperated, widowed, etc.; and

(3) Mothers who never married in the first place.

Single dads tend to be the flipsde to grroup # (2). The number of men who, having never married at all, are nevertheless taking care of children is, I would assume, rather small compared to the female equivalent. Generally, ships passing in the night resulting in a pregnancy = the woman gets stuck dealing with it.

Of the three groups, group #3 is on average the worst off in that they are the most likely to be poor, and that poverty is (I would assert) strongly linked to their being in that group in the first place. Group #1 is likely to be the best off.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 31, 2013, 12:55:47 PM
Of the three groups, group #3 is on average the worst off in that they are the most likely to be poor, and that poverty is (I would assert) strongly linked to their being in that group in the first place. Group #1 is likely to be the best off.   

Yep.  Probably why the single dads are less bad off as a group is because they are less likely to fit into group #3 and tend to be a bit older.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

I love that guy.  You can never figure out if he really is some right wing nutcase...or making fun of right wing nutcases.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

Quote from: Valmy on June 04, 2013, 08:08:11 AM
I love that guy.  You can never figure out if he really is some right wing nutcase...or making fun of right wing nutcases.

The first panel is truly stupid, but the second panel made me laugh pretty hard.
and the horse you rode in on

11B4V

Quote from: fahdiz on June 06, 2013, 10:42:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 04, 2013, 08:08:11 AM

The first panel is truly stupid, but the second panel made me laugh pretty hard.

The fly.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".