Moms are main breadwinners in 40% of households with children

Started by Syt, May 31, 2013, 12:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Are they factoring in the child support these "women" are getting from the baby daddies into their income?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on May 31, 2013, 12:05:04 PM
Are they factoring in the child support these "women" are getting from the baby daddies into their income?

Probably not.  That would make the story less sensational.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2013, 12:08:00 PM

Is the story really that sensational? :unsure:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I guess that depends on how they got their data and how their income is counted.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2013, 12:10:15 PM

I guess that depends on how they got their data and how their income is counted.
True. It could probably up it a good chunk if a "woman" had kids from different daddy's.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I guess better education of women also plays a role:

QuoteMarried mothers are increasingly better educated than their husbands. Even though a majority of spouses have a similar educational background, the share of couples in which the mother has attained a higher education than her spouse has gone up from 7% in 1960 to 23% in 2011. In two-parent families today, 61% have a mother whose education level is similar to her husband's, 23% have a mother who is better educated than her husband, and 16% have a father who is better educated than his wife.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2013, 12:09:31 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2013, 12:08:00 PM

Is the story really that sensational? :unsure:

The "income gap" part is.  It always is.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2013, 12:15:00 PM

Ah well.  It is getting smaller as the older generations retire.  IMAGINE THAT.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2013, 12:18:54 PM

And depending on how you look at it, it may not exist at all.

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on May 31, 2013, 12:12:17 PM
True. It could probably up it a good chunk if a "woman" had kids from different daddy's.

It could...presuming those daddy's actually have jobs.

Razgovory

They probably aren't even including the money gained from whoring these "women" get either. :mad:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Why did you put women in quotes? Are you arguing that they're really men in women's clothing? :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on May 31, 2013, 12:30:39 PM

Why did you put women in quotes? Are you arguing that they're really men in women's clothing? :unsure:

I presume he was making a statement about teenage moms.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2013, 12:20:03 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2013, 12:18:54 PM

And depending on how you look at it, it may not exist at all.

I'm fairly sure that it exists in different industries, but in the Big Picture it's probably mostly gone.

Not sure what that has to do with this particular article though, except that it seems like whatever gap there may be is rapidly closing as women make up a substantial chunk of the family wage earners now. In essense, the gap is diminishing as women earn more, which makes women more likely to make more than their spouses.

It's just full of win for everyone, isn't it? :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maximus