The dialects of America - soda vs. pop revisited

Started by Syt, June 06, 2013, 11:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I have to say I never noticed it.  I guess because most of my time in the US was spent on basketball courts and I never had had an occasion in which anyone ask me if I had a pen.

Maximus

Quote from: merithyn on June 06, 2013, 01:22:49 PM
Quote from: Maximus on June 06, 2013, 01:20:32 PM
Pen as pin is quite common. I've heard it from California through the southern plains to the deep south

Am I correct in how I think I say things, Max? You pay closer attention than I do, and I often think I say things one way only to have you say otherwise.
I grew up saying bin. I would say the way you say it is somewhere between ben and bean. I don't know a phoenetic spelling that really captures it. Sort of "byen" but quicker.

One I got called on recently was pronouncing "bury" the way it's spelled. Many people here pronounce it like berry.

Grey Fox

Quote from: merithyn on June 06, 2013, 12:35:52 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2013, 12:31:52 PM
How is been and bean different?

Been is usually either "bin" or "ben".

Bean usually rhymes with "seen" or "sheen".

Alright.

All sounds the same to me.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

I don't recall hearing someone say pin for pen though I know that exists.

I say both bin and ben for been. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Wow, and I thought my spanglish pronounciations were bad. :D
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on June 06, 2013, 12:35:52 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2013, 12:31:52 PM
How is been and bean different?

Been is usually either "bin" or "ben".

Bean usually rhymes with "seen" or "sheen".

:yes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

btw it's not exactly "pop" in Chicago.  More like "PAAHP". :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

How do different parts of country pronounce migraine?!?!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

sbr

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?