And we're back!

Main Menu

Will Taiwan Defect to China?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 25, 2009, 09:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on May 25, 2009, 01:07:09 PM
What's wrong with a real war the PRC?

Well for one, Canada would be on the wrong side.  Don't think we haven't noticed how the Chinese have been buying up mines and stuff.  You've already been subverted and we'd have to the living shit out of you.  At least the traitorous western part.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on May 25, 2009, 01:19:36 PM

Well for one, Canada would be on the wrong side.  Don't think we haven't noticed how the Chinese have been buying up mines and stuff.  You've already been subverted and we'd have to the living shit out of you.  At least the traitorous western part.
Do you actually think that America could defeat China in a war?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on May 25, 2009, 01:21:28 PM

Could beat western Canada.  And that's what's important.  If war comes you'll end up a slave in the American run maple Syrup mines.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

We shut down a few ports and there's a revolution in China fairly quickly, I'd think.  It would mostly be naval, while we supply anti-PRC forces in South-East Asia and the non-Han Eastern provinces.  The trouble is that the Chicoms would be liable to launch their birds well before they loose power.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on May 25, 2009, 02:22:15 PM
We shut down a few ports and there's a revolution in China fairly quickly, I'd think.  It would mostly be naval, while we supply anti-PRC forces in South-East Asia and the non-Han Eastern provinces.  The trouble is that the Chicoms would be liable to launch their birds well before they loose power.

I think that scenario highly unlikely.  The Chinese have shown themselves recently to be quite patriotic and nationalistic.  In the unlikely event of a US-PRC war I imagine the populace would rush to support the Communist Party.

That's exactly what happened when Hitler invaded the USSR.  Stalin's government was much worse than the current Communist rules of China, and had only been in power 20 years or so at that point.  Yet the populace rallied behind Stalin.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DisturbedPervert

We shut down a few ports and there's a revolution in China fairly quickly, I'd think.  It would mostly be naval, while we supply anti-PRC forces in South-East Asia and the non-Han Eastern provinces. 

If only you threw in some time travel, it'd make a great Turtledove novel.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on May 25, 2009, 02:55:31 PM

I think that scenario highly unlikely.  The Chinese have shown themselves recently to be quite patriotic and nationalistic.  In the unlikely event of a US-PRC war I imagine the populace would rush to support the Communist Party.

That's exactly what happened when Hitler invaded the USSR.  Stalin's government was much worse than the current Communist rules of China, and had only been in power 20 years or so at that point.  Yet the populace rallied behind Stalin.
Not only that, but the Chinese are extremely adept at modern warfare when compared to the Americans.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: Barrister on May 25, 2009, 02:55:31 PM

This is a fair criticism.  That said, I think that the collapse of the Chinese economy with the blockade of Chinese ports would result in such instability that, in the long run, they would not be able to win a war against the democratic powers (presumably including India and Japan). 

I don't think the Chinese navy is up to keeping their ports free from the Indian, Japanese, British and American fleets.  And they aren't going to be able to do that anytime soon. 

"Fairly quick" was hyperbole probably, but I think they'd have a lot of trouble in their own back yard without some kind of naval supremacy.  Even then, I'm not totally sure how they would be able to change their entire economy from industry for export to military equipment, or where they'd get the food and raw materials they now import.

This is fairly moot though: I think the CPC is smart enough to avoid a war, and if it came to that it would probably go nuclear fairly quickly.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

How can Taiwan defect TO China? I thought they defected FROM China in the first place.

Queequeg

Quote from: Martinus on May 25, 2009, 03:29:43 PM
How can Taiwan defect TO China? I thought they defected FROM China in the first place.
Not really.  If anything, the Mainland "defected" to the Communists. 

That's a really weird way to put it though; the Mainland was conquered by Communists is more accurate. 

The Brain

I defecated to China once. It was glorious.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Zanza

Quote from: Queequeg on May 25, 2009, 03:28:10 PMchange their entire economy from industry for export to military equipment
They are already the biggest producer of steel and among the top producers of machinery such as vehicles.

And by the way the vast part of their industry is not for exports, but rather for domestic consumption. After all, a fifth of mankind lives there and they don't live on thin air.

Queequeg

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 25, 2009, 05:05:39 PM
They are already the biggest producer of steel and among the top producers of machinery such as vehicles.
And by the way the vast part of their industry is not for exports, but rather for domestic consumption. After all, a fifth of mankind lives there and they don't live on thin air.

Foodstuffs?  The quickest way to have a revolution is to have cities full of poorly educated recent migrants from the countryside with high expectations to suddenly have no food. 

Valmy

Wow it would sure be terrible if another source of global discontent was solved without us having to do anything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."