Breaking News - Reports of an Ongoing Terrorist 'Incident' in Woolwich,London.

Started by mongers, May 22, 2013, 01:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I would have concussed him with my "two dragons roaring out to sea" nunchaku technique.

BS.  I would have done the Usain Bolt two-step.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2013, 06:24:33 PM
BS.  I would have done the Usain Bolt two-step.

Yes, that's the rational response when you're watching someone give their post-game "we went out there with the intent of shutting down the passing game, Steve" interview after hacking someone to death in the middle of the street.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2013, 02:10:29 PM
Quote from: Brazen on May 22, 2013, 02:03:47 PM
It was a murder. Being committed by people "of Muslim appearance does not make it a terrorist attack.

The statements made by the person of Muslim appearance make it almost certain it was a terrorist attack.

It was a palindrome.

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on May 22, 2013, 06:09:47 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 22, 2013, 05:20:59 PM
I'm not familiar with the immediate area of the attack, but have drunk in pubs and done a gig about 300 yards away. Plus I used to visit a friend who lived a mile away. 

It isn't an especially bad area, just somewhat rundown when I used to visit, but I'd guess parts of the 'town' have gone upmarket as part of the general gentrification/boom London's seen in the last 15-20 years.

Woolwich is still a bit of a rough area, and I don't think it's really started gentrifying yet...

Oh good or bad to know.

Though I'd still say I've never felt threatened in London, whereas I have in area 10 miles from home !
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2013, 06:14:36 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 06:11:56 PM
Rough area or no rough area, it's still pretty fucked up to commit that kind of attack in broad daylight and stick around for video time with passersby.

Yeah.  No attempt to get away or anything.  Also, just pretty fucked up to see people in the background just standing around, like it was some traffic accident or something.  Nobody is trying to blindside the dude while he's talking to the camera, and nobody seems to be running away.

Witness have said one of the attackers had a pistol and the other had a machete and knives, so some may have chosen not to attack them given the risks and what they've just seen these two attackers do.

Though I think the bigger explanation for the inaction, but with  some people still hanging around, was just how utterly different the event was to anything anyone had experienced before. 

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the onlookers thought it was some sort of weird public theatre/activism/performance ? 

But clearly others reacted differently, like the van driver who passed right by, thought it was a traffic accident, went and parked his car, walked up the hill to see if he could help/see what happened, but on nearing the scene realised something was very wrong and warned off a group of school children/teachers from approaching. 

CountDeMoney

I don't know what was more English about this: 
1) how it took 20 minutes to locate an officer with a firearm,
2) how the EDL promptly mustered out to defend the realm, or
3) how two separate mosques were attacked hours after the incident.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 08:14:57 PM
I don't know what was more English about this: 
1) how it took 20 minutes to locate an officer with a firearm,
2) how the EDL promptly mustered out to defend the realm, or
3) how two separate mosques were attacked hours after the incident.

That chick that told 'em off had MASSIVE brass balls.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on May 22, 2013, 07:35:23 PM
Witness have said one of the attackers had a pistol and the other had a machete and knives, so some may have chosen not to attack them given the risks and what they've just seen these two attackers do.

Doesn't appear that anyone was even assessing the risk of doing so.  At least in some places in the US, people would have subdued the attackers and possibly had them beaten to death by the time the cops got there.

QuoteThough I think the bigger explanation for the inaction, but with  some people still hanging around, was just how utterly different the event was to anything anyone had experienced before. 

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the onlookers thought it was some sort of weird public theatre/activism/performance ? 

But clearly others reacted differently, like the van driver who passed right by, thought it was a traffic accident, went and parked his car, walked up the hill to see if he could help/see what happened, but on nearing the scene realised something was very wrong and warned off a group of school children/teachers from approaching. 

It's your country, so you're in a better position to judge, but it still seems bizarre that fight or flight did not kick in for all those standing around.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

Ah, British English, so refined and proper.  :lol:

Feds? I think this guy watches too much American tv
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 05:02:40 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 22, 2013, 03:52:51 PM
Holy crap, it is like the Daily Mail comments section in here.

No shit.

Raz, go take your meds, have some ice cream, watch some light-hearted fare like The Apple Dumpling Gang, and come back later.

You're being even more Razzy than usual the last couple days.

You guys can tell?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

One of the attackers has been named on twitter/social media as a British Nigerian muslim convert who goes by the name of Mujahid Adeboloja. No idea if this is accurate or confirmed officially.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2013, 08:46:54 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 05:02:40 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 22, 2013, 03:52:51 PM
Holy crap, it is like the Daily Mail comments section in here.

No shit.

Raz, go take your meds, have some ice cream, watch some light-hearted fare like The Apple Dumpling Gang, and come back later.

You're being even more Razzy than usual the last couple days.

You guys can tell?

That's what we're here for buddy. To look after you.  ;)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".