News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Xbox Reveal at 10PDT/1EDT

Started by DontSayBanana, May 21, 2013, 11:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I was rather happy with my 360, except that Sony had the - to me - more interesting exclusives, like Uncharted, Hard Rain, MLB The Show etc, whereas most 360 games with few exceptions, like Red Dead Redemption or Forza Motorsport) make it to the PC sooner or later.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Yeah true, I really am keen on Last of Us, but not gonna buy as PS3 just for that :D
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on June 11, 2013, 10:12:41 PM
I was rather happy with my 360, except that Sony had the - to me - more interesting exclusives, like Uncharted, Hard Rain, MLB The Show etc, whereas most 360 games with few exceptions, like Red Dead Redemption or Forza Motorsport) make it to the PC sooner or later.
Ace Combat.
Nearly made me choose a 360 despite this fact. :(
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Ace Combat 6 is basically why I got a 360.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 11, 2013, 09:13:36 PM
I'm probably gonna skip this generation or wait until the best of these consoles (probably the PS4) drops to something like $200, which will probably be when they release the succeeding generation anyway. None of the stuff they're selling excites me. Maybe I'm just not a gamer anymore.  :(

Me too.

Perhaps more damaging for this release, my boys have no interest in this generation of consoles.

Not sure where the market is going to be.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on June 10, 2013, 11:36:27 PM
As one commentator said, the Xbox One seems to take all of the negative stuff about digital PC gaming (atrocious DRM, no lending of games, limited/installs or resales) without adding the good stuff - a variety of online shops creating competition and sales - Steam Summer Sale, anyone?), modding community, the option of buying DRM free ...

Also, you're able to plug in any console from the Atari 2070 to Xbox 360 or PS3 and can play your games 10 or 20 years from now. Xbox One not so much, if MS decides to discontinue the system and switches off the servers at some point.

I wonder if Microsoft realizes how much they're botching this release.  All the negatives about the Xbox One are self-inflicted (and hopefully it's not too late to change at least some of them).  I'm a big fan of the 360 and mostly use my PS3 just to play blu-rays, but if I buy either system at launch it's going to be the PS4.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

You know, I can't really see myself buying either system at this point.  I've enjoyed my 360, but everything worth playing seems to eventually come to PC, unless it's made by EA.  And even then, they'll get tired of wasting money on Origin in a few more years.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

I watched the playstation lending games with PS4 video again yesterday.
I notice some small print has appeared saying this is only for purely physical games and all sorts of restrictions apply with some other games. I guess microsoft got angry. :lol:

And yeah, I only just got my PS3 in January. Its all i need for now, there's a big backlog I haven't played. I don't even play it all that much.
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

I doubt I'll be early-adopting anything this generation; I've got something like 70-75 games invested in my 360, and the *only* reason I'd go for the XBO is Forza 5.  Unless something changes, I'll wait for a price drop on the PS4.
Experience bij!

Syt

Btw, XBox One will be region locked. And at launch, these countries will be serviced:

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Mexico
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Russia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
United States

Fun detail: Witcher 3 will also be on Xbox One ... but the Polish developers wouldn't be able to play it on that system in their homes home for a while.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 12, 2013, 10:32:20 PM
I doubt I'll be early-adopting anything this generation; I've got something like 70-75 games invested in my 360, and the *only* reason I'd go for the XBO is Forza 5.  Unless something changes, I'll wait for a price drop on the PS4.

Basically the same here. PS4 is geared towards games, has no inherent region lock (though devs can opt for it), and doesn't have egregious DRM issues as the XB1 seems to have.

XB1, on the other hand, is region locked, requires to phone home once a day, has its weird Kinect always on (I don't think it's used mischievously, but it's still a stupid feature), and comes with a load of promised TV/multimedia/streaming options that will only be fully useful in the U.S. Oh, and the base version costs more. At least I'm in a country that has the privilege of being allowed to buy and use an XB1 right away.

Microsoft, you're not making this difficult.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on June 16, 2013, 02:28:17 AM
Btw, XBox One will be region locked. And at launch, these countries will be serviced:

Yet another stupid move in this day and age.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

what was Microsoft thinking? it'd be different if they had little or no competition, but that's not the case in consoles. Oh well, I wasn't planning on buying one anyway.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Kleves

:)
QuoteMicrosoft has changed its policies regarding Xbox One's internet requirement, used game restrictions and more. Contrary to the details announced earlier this month, Microsoft has now confirmed news originally reported on Giant Bomb that Xbox One will no longer require an internet connection or need to check in every 24 hours; instead, internet will only be required when initially setting up the console.

Xbox One will also no longer restrict used games, and will instead allow discs to be exchanged in the same way they are on Xbox 360 with no additional restrictions for trade-ins or lending games to friends. The system is also no longer be region locked and all downloaded games will function the same way whether your console is connected or not.

Microsoft's decision follows mass confusion following the announcement of Xbox One in May. At E3 last week, Sony announced similar policies for PlayStation 4, which will not require an internet connection or periodic authentication and does not restrict used games.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

derspiess

I'm not completely swayed yet, but that's a good start.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall