News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

USAF, WTF

Started by CountDeMoney, May 08, 2013, 07:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I can see there being a morale issue when actually performing the function for which you are preparing = the end of the world, and when *never* performing that function = your whole job a complete and utter waste of time.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 08, 2013, 04:32:07 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 08, 2013, 04:26:05 PM
Sounds pretty cushy.

Keyword is 'sounds'  :lol:  It depends on the work being done, but it's pretty exhausting, believe it or not.  I deal with the mids better, the days shift (0600-1800) leaves me such that all I want to do is eat leftovers and crash until the next shift hits.  You have to keep in mind the type of work as well as the schedule.  Again, 'sounds'.

Ugh, sounds like a modified Panama.  I've done that with only 4 teams.  It was good having days off during the week (easier to get shit done)...but yeah, those work days it was work-crash/sleep...didn't feel like there was any "real" downtime or relaxation on those days.  Though I was the reverse...mids sucked balls.

AnchorClanker

I get more done at night, and there's less drive-by tasking and so on.  For some reason days just wipes me out.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Darth Wagtaros

just who is pictgured in your avatar Anchor?
PDH!

Tonitrus

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 08, 2013, 04:59:51 PM
I get more done at night, and there's less drive-by tasking and so on.  For some reason days just wipes me out.

Fair points...nights were nice and quiet, without leadership hovering about.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 08, 2013, 05:03:01 PM
just who is pictgured in your avatar Anchor?

Hermann Hesse - a friend of mine sent it to me a LONG time ago with the note, "You at 60"  Works for me.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Eddie Teach

I remember working 12 hour shifts of doing nothing. Thank God nothing important depended on my vigilance.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 08, 2013, 05:12:12 PM
I remember working 12 hour shifts of doing nothing. Thank God nothing important depended on my vigilance.

Doing nothing is worse than being busy - nothing going on makes for a LOOONG night.  :P
Fortunately, that's rarely a concern.

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2013, 03:57:45 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2013, 03:04:45 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 08, 2013, 02:49:24 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2013, 12:42:24 PM
The guy that works under me is gay too.

Maybe he just really needs the money.

:lol:

Wouldn't that be awesome if employers could offer perks like that?

Few weeks off a year, full medical and dental...oh, and whores. Clean whores. When would you like to start?
and the horse you rode in on

grumbler

My guess is that watchstanding for these guys is in addition to regular duties.  They probably work the regular 7am-4pm workdays for three days, stand a watch, and have a day off. This is their operational tour, remember, and they stand their watch outside of easy communications with the admin types and their own subordinates.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

I like the zoomies when they arrive at a resturant and a pack of them climbs out of thier tiny clown car. I didn't know they could stack and pack that much shit into a Yaris.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Phillip V

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2013, 02:32:52 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2013, 02:28:29 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2013, 02:19:39 PM
Yeah our society is pretty much in decay. I mean, we're letting gay people serve openly in our armed forces and get married!

Canada already did that.  Being behind Canada sounds like decay to me :hmm:

Massachusetts did it first I believe - the marriage bit.

Why did Governor Mitt Romney allow it. :(

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2013, 12:47:48 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 08, 2013, 11:15:16 AM
If you are a USAF officer tasked with sitting in a hole all day babysitting a nuclear missile, how can that be an engaging and meaningful part of your career?

I think it would be incredibly hard to keep those guys sharp all the time.

Yeah, I can definitely see how tough it would be to maintain your TURN YOUR KEY SIR clenched-ass status all the time in that role.  After a few weeks, you're yawning through the drills.

You'd think that kind of role needs more personnel turnover than it has.

Perhaps we could just have a few of them shot for the encouragement of the others.