Started by jimmy olsen, May 20, 2013, 05:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2013, 10:15:08 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 20, 2013, 10:00:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2013, 09:57:54 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 20, 2013, 08:59:17 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2013, 08:51:58 PM
School managed to evacuate the 4-6th grades, but the 1-3rd grades had to shelter in place and the town was to cheap for shelters.

Not that they live in tornado alley.

We got your fucking point the first time. You don't need to stick around continuing to make an ass of yourself.

Good glad you did.

Why? It was unedifying.

I am good glad you did as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

:o

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/21/us/severe-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
QuoteThe vicious tornado that tore across central Oklahoma on Monday has killed at least 51 people -- with about 40 more bodies expected to arrive at the Oklahoma Medical Examiner's office, Amy Elliott of the coroner's office said. The official death toll will gradually rise as the bodies are processed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/us/tornado-oklahoma.html?_r=0
QuoteMOORE, Okla. — A giant tornado, a mile wide or more, killed at least 91 people, 20 of them children, as it tore across parts of Oklahoma City and its suburbs Monday afternoon, flattening homes, flinging cars through the air and crushing at least two schools.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Saw the story of the family that went down to their cellar and couldn't let their neighbors in that were banging on the door for shelter because the air pressure was too great to even open the door.  Neighbors weren't there anymore.

OttoVonBismarck

I'll be interested to hear more about the school. The moment I heard a bunch of children had died I was in shock, basically asking "didn't the school have a basement or shelter?" Shockingly I guess the answer is, "no." Tornadoes are a stone cold bitch, but extremely easy to survive if you either know it's coming or have somewhere appropriate to take shelter. They can be relatively easily dodged if you're lucky enough to receive warning before one is bearing down on you, but even more important tornadoes as a column of rotating air really only exert force to things that are perpendicular (or at least not parallel) to the plane of the ground. So pretty much anything below ground and you're pretty safe. With a standard home, basements provide for very survivable shelters. The only real exception is a freak event where the house is obliterated above you and then the rubble collapses into the basement, killing you. That's why savvy homeowners in tornado alley usually have some sort of hardened solution in their basement that has enough structural strength to basically remain intact even if the whole house falls on top of it--and then it's just a matter of waiting to be dug out.

I'd have assumed every school in states like Kansas and Oklahoma (and Texas Northern Panhandle) would have at least a nice basement, and with the heavy construction used in most schools you probably wouldn't even need anything more hardened than that.

jimmy olsen

IIRC I heard somewhere that the soil in Oklahoma City is really shitty and it's very difficult and expensive to dig a good basement there and costs significant money in upkeep.

1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

And it's not like school districts in those areas are working with a whole lot of cash when it comes to new construction.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 21, 2013, 06:55:26 AM
And it's not like school districts in those areas are working with a whole lot of cash when it comes to new construction.
:yes: Education is a liberal plot. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 21, 2013, 03:49:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2013, 10:15:08 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 20, 2013, 10:00:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2013, 09:57:54 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 20, 2013, 08:59:17 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2013, 08:51:58 PM
School managed to evacuate the 4-6th grades, but the 1-3rd grades had to shelter in place and the town was to cheap for shelters.

Not that they live in tornado alley.

We got your fucking point the first time. You don't need to stick around continuing to make an ass of yourself.

Good glad you did.

Why? It was unedifying.

I am good glad you did as well.

You are ignoring me. Continue to do so. No take backs.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Kleves

Death toll has been lowered to 24. I guess they took some of the victims to better hospitals, where their condition was upgraded to alive.  :hmm:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Caliga

Jeebus is raising people from the dead.  Naturally he loves Oklahoma. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

Were they counting the "not found" as dead?

Anyway, I find the whole thing scary, awesome and sad all at the same time.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on May 21, 2013, 09:49:43 AM
Death toll has been lowered to 24. I guess they took some of the victims to better hospitals, where their condition was upgraded to alive.  :hmm:

The word earlier this morning was that some casualties were counted twice.

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 21, 2013, 06:36:38 AM
I'll be interested to hear more about the school. The moment I heard a bunch of children had died I was in shock, basically asking "didn't the school have a basement or shelter?" Shockingly I guess the answer is, "no." Tornadoes are a stone cold bitch, but extremely easy to survive if you either know it's coming or have somewhere appropriate to take shelter. They can be relatively easily dodged if you're lucky enough to receive warning before one is bearing down on you, but even more important tornadoes as a column of rotating air really only exert force to things that are perpendicular (or at least not parallel) to the plane of the ground. So pretty much anything below ground and you're pretty safe. With a standard home, basements provide for very survivable shelters. The only real exception is a freak event where the house is obliterated above you and then the rubble collapses into the basement, killing you. That's why savvy homeowners in tornado alley usually have some sort of hardened solution in their basement that has enough structural strength to basically remain intact even if the whole house falls on top of it--and then it's just a matter of waiting to be dug out.

I'd have assumed every school in states like Kansas and Oklahoma (and Texas Northern Panhandle) would have at least a nice basement, and with the heavy construction used in most schools you probably wouldn't even need anything more hardened than that.

You have no idea what you are talking about, do you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on May 21, 2013, 09:44:22 AM

You are ignoring me. Continue to do so. No take backs.

I've shifted over to just disdain.