Moore Oklahoma Obliterated by F5 Tornado, 24 dead, at least 9 of them kids

Started by jimmy olsen, May 20, 2013, 05:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2013, 09:49:57 PM
Were the schools youse guys went to WPA built?

I wiki'd it;  it was built in 1954.  Guess a Civil Defense shelter seemed prudent at the time.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 20, 2013, 09:51:33 PM
:D  At UD for ROTC we frequently trained with Salisbury State cadets.  They were... special.  Made me feel like I was back in WV.  Not as special as the UM Eastern Shore guys, though.  They were in a class all by themselves  :wacko:

LOL, I still have a 3-ring binder from when it was Salisbury State College.  Frank Purdue has dumped a shitload of money into it, though.  You'd never recognize it now.

And UMES?  Oh, man. Stomp the yard, country-style.

Ah, Salisbury:  either you made it out, or you were Salisburied.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2013, 09:57:54 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 20, 2013, 08:59:17 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2013, 08:51:58 PM
School managed to evacuate the 4-6th grades, but the 1-3rd grades had to shelter in place and the town was to cheap for shelters.

Not that they live in tornado alley.

We got your fucking point the first time. You don't need to stick around continuing to make an ass of yourself.

Good glad you did.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on May 20, 2013, 10:00:39 PM
School managed to evacuate the 4-6th grades, but the 1-3rd grades had to shelter in place and the town was to cheap for shelters.

We got your fucking point the first time. You don't need to stick around continuing to make an ass of yourself.

Good glad you did.

Why? It was unedifying.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 20, 2013, 10:00:15 PM
LOL, I still have a 3-ring binder from when it was Salisbury State College.  Frank Purdue has dumped a shitload of money into it, though.  You'd never recognize it now.

I never actually stepped foot on their campus.  We usually just met up with them wherever we trained.  We used to like making them drive to Ft. Dix :D

QuoteAnd UMES?  Oh, man. Stomp the yard, country-style.

Funny, I didn't actually realize they were a historically black school-- had to look it up to check.  All the cadets I knew from there were white. 

One UMES guy stood out-- a 6'4" guy whose last name was Marshall, and he always made it a point to spell out his last name even though it was right there on his goddamned name tape.  Dumb as a fucking stump.  I got stuck with him on an FTX where we had to dig defensive positions and be ready to defend a hilltop at night.  I had to dig his fighting position because he lost his entrenching tool (plus a bunch of other gear, without even knowing) and had no idea what he was doing anyway.  Pretty boring night up until the time when the OPFOR was attacking.  The training cadre were throwing artillery & grenade simulators, lots of firing (blanks, but they sounded pretty much the same) back & forth, and my buddy Carbone was rocking out with the M-60 to our left.  So lots of noise, basically.  Adrenaline pumping & all that.  I yelled over at Marshall to ask how he was doing & he didn't reply.  I crawl over next to him & realize he's snoring.  He slept through the whole thing.

QuoteAh, Salisbury:  either you made it out, or you were Salisburied.

The rare female cadet from there was usually decent-looking.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2013, 10:15:08 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 20, 2013, 10:00:39 PM

Good glad you did.

Why? It was unedifying.

Tornadoes hit the midwest. This will happen again and still nothing will improve.
It is a tragedy for those kids. But, then they didnt have the choice to live there or go to that school. Yet still, there is no safe place for those kids to hunker down. Where's the outrage. So I guess unedifying is correct.   
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Yep and you continue to build my case.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2013, 10:36:06 PM
Yep and you continue to build my case.

Glad I can help. Save a little grief for the next tornado tragedy. Dont use it all up on this one. ;)

Valmy

Well fortunately my family lives in central OKC so everybody was ok.

Poor Moore.  Just a horrible situation.  I cannot believe they did not have storm cellars in that elementary school.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

That ought to make for a very merry Christmas for Hellenowski and Brown.

sbr

Yep.  Just like the 20 1st graders in Connecticut.

11B4V

Quote from: sbr on May 21, 2013, 12:26:13 AM

Yep.  Just like the 20 1st graders in Connecticut.

I didnt know Connecticut was in Tornado Alley.

Brazen

Some idiot PR used the tornado as a cheery news hook for a press release today:
QuoteSome good news for states affected by tornadoes comes out of Oklahoma today.

Engineering students at Oklahoma State University have designed a storm-penetrating unmanned aircraft that will enable authorities and scientists to better predict when tornadoes will hit and how storms form.

:frusty:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point