News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

LOL I got an ego boost

Started by Martinus, May 17, 2013, 06:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on May 17, 2013, 06:53:10 AM
Well, you can deduct one thing - he only has two favorite books, "The Firm" and "Catcher in the Rye"* - so he is probably going to murder me and wear my skin.
HIRE HIM.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on May 17, 2013, 06:15:54 AM
We received an application letter from a summer trainee candidate applying for our department.

One of the paragraphs states that he would be "honored to work with such notable and recognized lawyers as Ms. [My Boss] and Mr. [Martinus]".  :lol:

Should we hire him or should this disqualify him? :P

:shrugs:

He does his research, that's all that means. Can't fault him for it, but he'll definitely be a syncophant once he's in the office. He says what he thinks will get him ahead, as is clear from this letter. If you want that, hire him.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on May 17, 2013, 08:41:40 AM
Most of my job-seeking friends have two Facebooks. One for employers and family; one for everyone else.

They include family on the job-seeking one because that way they look like good, solid, family-oriented folks who are serious, studious, and yet loving and kind. *coughs*

What bullshit.

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 17, 2013, 08:07:42 AM
Inside the walls of my massive bureaucracy such things don't matter, but I understand in many of the more highly sought after private sector positions it's basically standard for the employer to check out your social networking sites. I'd imagine any half-smart young professional these days is going to carefully craft all of their social media presence to make them look like good job candidates, and basically suppress or hide anything else. Even relatively innocuous personal information could hurt you because you never know what hiring manager may take a dislike to someone over something random (maybe you like a book he hates or something.)

:yes:

Most of my job-seeking friends have two Facebooks. One for employers and family; one for everyone else.

They include family on the job-seeking one because that way they look like good, solid, family-oriented folks who are serious, studious, and yet loving and kind. *coughs*

Hmm, why don't they just hide certain things from the public? Not that hard to manage.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on May 17, 2013, 09:15:53 AM

Hmm, why don't they just hide certain things from the public? Not that hard to manage.

Easier to just create a second page than to worry about what Facebook will do with the different privacy settings every month or so.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on May 17, 2013, 09:19:28 AM

Easier to just create a second page than to worry about what Facebook will do with the different privacy settings every month or so.

What do they call their second page so they don't show up for employers?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

We received an application letter from a summer trainee candidate applying for our department.

One of the paragraphs states that he would be "honored to work with such notable and recognized lawyers as Ms. [My Boss] and Mr. [Martinus]".  :lol:

He is a fawning toady. If he had known the name of the head of HR he would have included that as well. Hiring Yes-Men is the first step in the long rout to ruin.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on May 17, 2013, 09:32:42 AM
Quote from: merithyn on May 17, 2013, 09:19:28 AM

What do they call their second page so they don't show up for employers?

Nicknames of various sorts. It's kind of an "invite-only" kind of page. You have to know the name in order to friend them.

Tamas

Meh. You can have privacy settings which won't let non-friends see shit.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on May 17, 2013, 09:36:11 AM

He is a fawning toady. If he had known the name of the head of HR he would have included that as well. Hiring Yes-Men is the first step in the long rout to ruin.

Presuming that Marty and his boss aren't actual well-known and respected lawyers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Inside the walls of my massive bureaucracy such things don't matter, but I understand in many of the more highly sought after private sector positions it's basically standard for the employer to check out your social networking sites. I'd imagine any half-smart young professional these days is going to carefully craft all of their social media presence to make them look like good job candidates, and basically suppress or hide anything else. Even relatively innocuous personal information could hurt you because you never know what hiring manager may take a dislike to someone over something random (maybe you like a book he hates or something.)

But that makes you look like a boring robot so this works against you, too. It definitely put me off this guy.

Martinus

:yes:

That's what Linkedin is for.

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on May 17, 2013, 09:48:40 AM

That's what Linkedin is for.

Yet you still went to his Facebook page.

crazy canuck

Marti, if this is the first time a job applicant has said they want to work with you then you are not as old as you look. :P

fhdz

Just what Marti needs: an ego boost.
and the horse you rode in on