News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Rand Paul Countdown to 2016 Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, May 12, 2013, 09:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

he he

I thought we had a treaty obligation to give that money every year to Egypt.  Wasn't that the bribe for Sadat to sign Camp David?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 31, 2013, 04:15:32 PM
he he

I thought we had a treaty obligation to give that money every year to Egypt.  Wasn't that the bribe for Sadat to sign Camp David?
I thought so too.  But then why is it important whether we call a coup a coup? 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on July 31, 2013, 04:18:58 PM

Huh?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 31, 2013, 04:25:43 PM

Huh?
I've been hearing that if US recognizes the removal of Morsi as a coup, then Egypt loses the monetary payments from US.  We're still investigating what it was.  :hmm:

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 31, 2013, 04:33:49 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 31, 2013, 04:25:43 PM

Huh?
I've been hearing that if US recognizes the removal of Morsi as a coup, then Egypt loses the monetary payments from US.  We're still investigating what it was.  :hmm:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/2013/07/27/analysis-stand-egypt-coup-may-have-costs/HDKfDjpdLg6FvJJs9ysYmN/story.html

Quote''The law does not require us to make a formal determination ... as to whether a coup took place, and it is not in our national interest to make such a determination,'' State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Friday. She spoke in the administration's only on-camera news briefing a day after members of Congress were informed privately that the U.S. laws was no longer necessarily applicable.

That interpretation of the 1961 Foreign Assistance Act might come as a surprise to juntas and militaries in Mali, Madagascar, Honduras and Pakistan. All of them, and others, have coped with U.S. aid suspensions over the past decade or so because of coups. In each case, there was a presumption that the United States would make a coup determination based on the law, and it did.

The law allows aid to resume only once a democratically elected government is restored. Exceptions have been made before, notably in the case of Pakistan.

Aid to Pakistan was suspended in 1999 when Army chief Pervez Musharraf ousted then-Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, now back in the job, in a bloodless coup. The assistance was restored by an act of Congress in 2001 for national security reasons before democracy returned after the Sept. 11 attacks in the United States.

Psaki would or could not say why the administration had decided against such a solution in the case of Egypt, clearly a vital American ally in the Middle East.

But such a fix would have required a determination that the Egyptian army had ousted President Mohammed Morsi in coup, and that step would have triggered a suspension in the $1.5 billion in aid the U.S. provides each year. Of that, $1.3 billion goes to the military.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Missed it.  I guess what happened to Morsi's government is fated to be one of those unsolved mysteries.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

It's a shame. I think the US probably should cut aid to Egypt.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

garbon

It is true though. Whenever I walked too far west of boystown is was like what is this garish place full of ruffians?

Ed Anger

Mobs armed with Deep dish pizzas storm the strongholds of thin crust pizza.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 31, 2013, 07:20:06 PM
Mobs armed with Deep dish pizzas storm the strongholds of thin crust pizza.

I support this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017