The Rand Paul Countdown to 2016 Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, May 12, 2013, 09:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

A two-fer:  Cruz y Paul!

QuoteAfter Iowa, Ted Cruz heading to South Carolina
By: Katie Glueck
October 29, 2013 11:21 AM EDT

Sen. Ted Cruz, the tea party darling and possible 2016 candidate, is headed to another early primary state next week.

Cruz (R-Texas) will held to South Carolina for a policy briefing with pastors on Nov. 4, his spokeswoman confirmed. That follows an appearance he made last weekend in Iowa.

The event, slated to occur at a hotel in Columbia, S.C., is hosted by the South Carolina Renewal Project, a Christian organization. Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) is also listed as a speaker on an invitation for the event.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), another potential presidential contender, is also expected in South Carolina next month. He is slated to appear at an event at Charleston's posh Harbour Club on Nov. 11.

According to an invitation obtained by POLITICO, Paul will also be at a meet-and-greet that day. For the first session, limited to 20 people, tickets start at $3,000 per person and $5,000 a couple. Tickets for a second general session start at $250 a person.

"Meet Senator Rand Paul. MD (R-KY)," the invitation reads. "A champion for constitutional liberties, fiscal responsibility and a warrior against government overreach who will be discussing Healthcare and other issues facing our country."

A "policy briefing with pastors".  Talk about tits on a bull.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 29, 2013, 03:08:31 PM
A two-fer:  Cruz y Paul!

QuoteAfter Iowa, Ted Cruz heading to South Carolina
By: Katie Glueck
October 29, 2013 11:21 AM EDT

Sen. Ted Cruz, the tea party darling and possible 2016 candidate, is headed to another early primary state next week.

Cruz (R-Texas) will held to South Carolina for a policy briefing with pastors on Nov. 4, his spokeswoman confirmed. That follows an appearance he made last weekend in Iowa.

The event, slated to occur at a hotel in Columbia, S.C., is hosted by the South Carolina Renewal Project, a Christian organization. Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) is also listed as a speaker on an invitation for the event.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), another potential presidential contender, is also expected in South Carolina next month. He is slated to appear at an event at Charleston's posh Harbour Club on Nov. 11.

According to an invitation obtained by POLITICO, Paul will also be at a meet-and-greet that day. For the first session, limited to 20 people, tickets start at $3,000 per person and $5,000 a couple. Tickets for a second general session start at $250 a person.

"Meet Senator Rand Paul. MD (R-KY)," the invitation reads. "A champion for constitutional liberties, fiscal responsibility and a warrior against government overreach who will be discussing Healthcare and other issues facing our country."

A "policy briefing with pastors".  Talk about tits on a bull.

No shit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/05/AR2010040505745.html
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

That's different, dercracka.  That's meeting with the President of the United States of America.  Hell, even Girl Scouts do that.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 29, 2013, 03:57:57 PM
That's different, dercracka.  That's meeting with the President of the United States of America.  Hell, even Girl Scouts do that.

So are you saying that Obama wasn't relevant enough before that for a group of pastors to want to chat with him?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 29, 2013, 04:03:59 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 29, 2013, 03:57:57 PM

So are you saying that Obama wasn't relevant enough before that for a group of pastors to want to chat with him?

Considering all the shit he caught from the Teabaggers and FOX for being seen with a certain black Chicago pastor before his election, as the President's advisor, I'd have counseled against meeting any more of those people, since that sort of thing sets off true-blue, redblooded white voters like derweiß. 

Hell, meeting with the Taliban would be the safer pick.

OH WAIT ITS BEEN DONE

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

God that room must have stunk for WEEKS after that meeting. :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

True.  Not to mention vacuuming the sand out of the carpet.  You never get rid of all of it :(

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

For having an opinion, she was executed later that day at RFK. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on October 29, 2013, 04:24:33 PM
For having an opinion, she was executed later that day at RFK. :(

Damn, I knew that Reagan was against the ERA, but goes a little to far.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on October 29, 2013, 04:17:44 PM
That meeting was all Haig's fault.

They are fellow anti-communist religious conservatives.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on October 29, 2013, 04:21:51 PM
God that room must have stunk for WEEKS after that meeting. :bleeding:

:lol:

SMELLS LIKE FEET
AND SAFFRON FARTS

CountDeMoney

Busted AND hostile!  What a great combo!

QuoteMore evidence emerges of plagiarism in Rand Paul's work
By Rebecca Kaplan /CBS News

Reports continue to emerge that Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., has a habit of using other authors' work in his own speeches and writings without giving them credit. The latest: an op-ed Paul wrote for The Washington Times on mandatory minimum sentencing borrowed verbatim from an article on the same topic written by Dan Stewart and published in The Week a week before Paul's own piece.

The overlap was originally reported by the website Buzzfeed, which found several copied sentences that outline the growth of the prison system, criticism of mandatory minimum sentencing, and tell the story of a Florida man named John Horner who was subject to a mandatory minimum penalty after selling some prescription painkillers to a friend who turned out to be a police informant.

"We've always known that the audience of The Week consists of smart, busy people who want to feel even smarter, including a lot of people on Capitol Hill," Bill Falk, the editor in chief of The Week, told Buzzfeed. "We'd like to thank Sen. Paul for his endorsement."

In an interview with the New York Times Tuesday, Paul admitted that he had "made mistakes" and said new procedures were being put in place to make footnotes available "if it will make people leave me the hell alone."

"In the thousands of speeches and op-eds Sen. Paul has produced, he has always presented his own ideas, opinions and conclusions. Sen. Paul also relies on a large number of staff and advisers to provide supporting facts and anecdotes - some of which were not clearly sourced or vetted properly," said Paul senior adviser Doug Stafford in a statement to CBSNews.com. "Footnotes presenting supporting facts were not always used. Going forward, footnotes will be available on request. There have also been occasions where quotations or typesetting indentations have been left out through errors in our approval process. From here forward, quoting, footnoting and citing will be more complete. Adherence to a new approval process implemented by Sen. Paul will ensure proper citation and accountability in all collaborative works going forward."

Paul also told the Times that no staffers were being fired over the incidents of plagiarism.

Paul has been under fire for borrowing language since MSNBC's Rachel Maddow :wub: accused him of citing Wikipedia descriptions of the movie "Gattaca" :wub: during a speech at Liberty University :yuk:. Since then, the list of language copied from other sources has continued to grow, including the revelation that Paul's response to President Obama's 2013 State of the Union address included a line about increasing unemployment rates taken directly from an Associated Press report.

"It's been a footnote frenzy going on. They have looked at my works including all of my speeches which 98 percent of those are extemporaneous. I can't quote everything perfect. I'm not perfect," Paul said to Fox News host Sean Hannity Monday night, arguing that he was the only person being held to such a high standard because of political motivations.

In an interview with ABC's "This Week" after the allegations came to light, Paul said he didn't think that speeches should be held to the same standard as scientific papers.

"When I wrote scientific papers, I sometimes had statements with eight footnotes for one sentence. Is that what you want me to do for my speeches? If it's required, I'll do it. But I think I'm being unfairly targeted by a bunch of hacks and haters. And I'm just not going to put up with people casting aspersions on my character," Paul said.

He added that "if dueling were legal in Kentucky, if they keep it up, you know, it would be a duel challenge. But I can't do that, because I can't hold office in Kentucky then."