And we're back!

Main Menu

Tory wars over Europe

Started by Sheilbh, May 12, 2013, 05:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 14, 2013, 06:38:08 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 14, 2013, 04:13:08 AM
Does the "argument" go further to say that if the UK left the EU all these regulations would be abolished? Because frankly I don't see this happening.  :huh:
I think they generally mean the social Europe regulations and that sort of thing.

They mainly apply to largest businesses, though, which are net beneficiaries of the common market. Mom and pop businesses do not need to set up work council...

Martinus

Besides, you guys have this weird attitude about EU regulations in that you actually try to observe them rather than finding ways to evade them, like most of us do. Perhaps you anti-EU sentiments come from your lack of creativity? :P

Warspite

Quote from: Martinus on May 14, 2013, 08:56:48 AM
Besides, you guys have this weird attitude about EU regulations in that you actually try to observe them rather than finding ways to evade them, like most of us do. Perhaps you anti-EU sentiments come from your lack of creativity? :P

Yes, the whole nod-and-a-wink attitude to the EU's own rules worked really well with Greece, didn't it?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Agelastus

Quote from: Martinus on May 14, 2013, 08:56:48 AM

I think it's called "respect for the rule of law" or something like that; there's a few of the continental members of the EU who'd be a lot better off now if they'd followed the same principle. See Greece and chronic tax evasion (swimming pools being a notorious case) or Spain and evasion of the planning regulations as two obvious examples.

And yes, you're absolutely correct - part of the problem is that we do both implement, observe and enforce the rules that come out of the EU here on our tiny island yet the overall impression we get fed from the press and other sources is that we're virtually alone in doing this. Personally, I've always thought that that's somewhat unfair on our fellow EU members - after all, despite my own views I'm quite aware of the streak of jingoism in the British press...at least, that is, during the times when I'm not reading posts from a respectable member of Polish society suggesting we should be better at evading laws and regulations instead of observing them. :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 13, 2013, 07:43:14 PM
Of course the Eurosceptic argument would be that it wouldn't be splendid isolation but that instead of mainly having our economic relationship with the EU (and then defence with the US) we'd be a bit of a whore and work with anyone. As I say it's got its attractions, but I think that seems a bit optimistic.

A bit optimistic is an understatement.  It doesn't seem like the proponents have thought through the practicalities of what "being a whore" would involve.  It means a lot of work and a lot of piecemeal compromises.  that's assuming the UK succeeds in getting on the busy agendas of its key counterparties, all of whom have lots of other fish to fry.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 14, 2013, 11:05:01 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 13, 2013, 07:43:14 PM
Of course the Eurosceptic argument would be that it wouldn't be splendid isolation but that instead of mainly having our economic relationship with the EU (and then defence with the US) we'd be a bit of a whore and work with anyone. As I say it's got its attractions, but I think that seems a bit optimistic.

A bit optimistic is an understatement.  It doesn't seem like the proponents have thought through the practicalities of what "being a whore" would involve.  It means a lot of work and a lot of piecemeal compromises.  that's assuming the UK succeeds in getting on the busy agendas of its key counterparties, all of whom have lots of other fish to fry.

Rubbish, we have the imperial preference system.  :bowler:

Oh wait, wrong century, failed idea.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Crazy_Ivan80

"er, no, Scotland would have to negotiate its' own accession treaty as the Commission has pointed out"

-> we'll see when it actually happens. Might as well be that the Commission spoke before it's turn.

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 14, 2013, 02:20:19 PM
"er, no, Scotland would have to negotiate its' own accession treaty as the Commission has pointed out"

-> we'll see when it actually happens. Might as well be that the Commission spoke before it's turn.

Lettowists always stick up for each other <_<
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

The whole tory/UKIP/BNP thing going on in Britain right now is quickly eroding whatever is left of my Anglophile tendencies. And to think I was gushing about this country like 10 years ago. Now I prefer France and Germany much more. Hell I am even considering picking up French and German lessons.

Iormlund

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 14, 2013, 02:20:19 PM

France and Spain cannot tolerate setting a precedent here. There'll have to be an accession process, though it could of course be fast-tracked.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 14, 2013, 02:43:16 PM
The whole tory/UKIP/BNP thing going on in Britain right now is quickly eroding whatever is left of my Anglophile tendencies. And to think I was gushing about this country like 10 years ago. Now I prefer France and Germany much more. Hell I am even considering picking up French and German lessons.

The SNP, the BNP, the UKIP, Plaid Cymru...just so many British parties to hate.  I hardly have any left for the Tories.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on May 14, 2013, 02:49:27 PM
France and Spain cannot tolerate setting a precedent here. There'll have to be an accession process, though it could of course be fast-tracked.

It better not be.  What exactly have the Scots done to deserve that?

Iormlund

For fast-tracking their application? Well, being formerly part of the Union it stands to reason they'd already fulfill all the requirements, so all that would be left would be negotiating contributions and voting.

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on May 14, 2013, 02:53:56 PM
For fast-tracking their application? Well, being formerly part of the Union it stands to reason they'd already fulfill all the requirements, so all that would be left would be negotiating contributions and voting.

Surely not every region of every member of the EU meets all the requirements.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2013, 02:55:53 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on May 14, 2013, 02:53:56 PM

Surely not every region of every member of the EU meets all the requirements.

Romania met the requirements. I don't know what the requirements are, but if they make any sense Scotland would meet them.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014