And we're back!

Main Menu

Tory wars over Europe

Started by Sheilbh, May 12, 2013, 05:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2013, 02:55:53 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on May 14, 2013, 02:53:56 PM
For fast-tracking their application? Well, being formerly part of the Union it stands to reason they'd already fulfill all the requirements, so all that would be left would be negotiating contributions and voting.

Surely not every region of every member of the EU meets all the requirements.

They'd meet every legal requiriment, in case they've already implemented all EU legislation, it'd be the economic requiriments the ones that would have to be checked. I guess that, in that scenario, they'd still be fast-tracked and some stuff could be implemented earlier, but it'd still take a few years for full EU membership.

mongers

Quote from: Martinus on May 14, 2013, 02:43:16 PM
The whole tory/UKIP/BNP thing going on in Britain right now is quickly eroding whatever is left of my Anglophile tendencies. And to think I was gushing about this country like 10 years ago. Now I prefer France and Germany much more. Hell I am even considering picking up French and German lessons.

Guys we dodged the bullet there, I think it was worth all the effort. :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Educate me. Are UKIP and BNP really that comparable with each other? Marty lumped them together, but I thought they were not very similar.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 14, 2013, 03:14:28 PM
Educate me. Are UKIP and BNP really that comparable with each other? Marty lumped them together, but I thought they were not very similar.

THe UKIP is specifically Euro-skeptic but otherwise not too nutty.  The BNP is the British version of the French Front National.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

I would say that they are not. The BNP is a tiny but properly racist party. UKIP are a right-wing party that garner protest votes but are not innately objectionable even though some of their members may be. There is nothing inherently wrong with wanting to wear tweed jackets, drink lots of real ale, leave the EU, reduce immigration and smoke in pubs..........though one suspects that they will never get anywhere near government.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2013, 03:15:33 PM

THe UKIP is specifically Euro-skeptic but otherwise not too nutty.  The BNP is the British version of the French Front National.

You've not spoken to many UKIP people, have you; hint an acquaintance of mine used to shag Nigel F. the party leader. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

I never thought I would ever see the phrase 'properly racist'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on May 14, 2013, 02:59:40 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2013, 02:55:53 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on May 14, 2013, 02:53:56 PM
For fast-tracking their application? Well, being formerly part of the Union it stands to reason they'd already fulfill all the requirements, so all that would be left would be negotiating contributions and voting.

Surely not every region of every member of the EU meets all the requirements.

They'd meet every legal requiriment, in case they've already implemented all EU legislation, it'd be the economic requiriments the ones that would have to be checked. I guess that, in that scenario, they'd still be fast-tracked and some stuff could be implemented earlier, but it'd still take a few years for full EU membership.

I certainly understand why the EU would say "well EU membership isn't guaranteed" for an independent Scotland - there are many separatist movements throughout Europe, and all of the EU member-states would want to discourage separatism.

But if a Yes vote actually happened, I can't imagine there would be any fuss.  Scotland has been a part of the EU (though not as a ember-state) for 40 years.  They're not going to kick the Scots out, only to re-invite them in again in a few years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 14, 2013, 03:22:48 PM
I certainly understand why the EU would say "well EU membership isn't guaranteed" for an independent Scotland - there are many separatist movements throughout Europe, and all of the EU member-states would want to discourage separatism.

But if a Yes vote actually happened, I can't imagine there would be any fuss.  Scotland has been a part of the EU (though not as a ember-state) for 40 years.  They're not going to kick the Scots out, only to re-invite them in again in a few years.

Um...you do not think there would be any fuss about giving a green light to every nationalist asshole on the continent?  If there is a fuse in Europe that could blow the whole thing it is that one.

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on May 14, 2013, 03:22:30 PM
You've not spoken to many UKIP people, have you; hint an acquaintance of mine used to shag Nigel F. the party leader. 

I meant not too nutty relative to other right wing nutters :P.  The BNP is really off the reservation, beyond the pale, out in left field, etc...

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2013, 03:15:33 PM

The UKIP is very nutty. They are virulently homophobic and anti-immigration.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 14, 2013, 03:26:53 PM
The UKIP is very nutty. They are virulently homophobic and racist. I just follow more British news outlets.

Hrm.  I guess my feeling was they were a more respectable and mainstream version of the BNP.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2013, 03:28:00 PM
The UKIP is very nutty. They are virulently homophobic and racist. I just follow more British news outlets.

Hrm.  I guess my feeling was they were a more respectable and mainstream version of the BNP.

Yes, well, it still makes them a version of BNP.

Agelastus

The UKIP is very nutty. They are virulently homophobic and anti-immigration.

How about you provide some evidence to back your contentions for once, eh? About the "nutty" and "homophobic" bits anyway since by your lights every party in the UK would be "anti-immigration" now (and yes, that does include the Labour party at the moment.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 14, 2013, 03:22:48 PMI certainly understand why the EU would say "well EU membership isn't guaranteed" for an independent Scotland - there are many separatist movements throughout Europe, and all of the EU member-states would want to discourage separatism.

The Spanish and French don't want to encourage their Basque and Catalonian regions to separate by making it look pain free, and I'm sure there are a few other countries with similar troublesome regions.