News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tory wars over Europe

Started by Sheilbh, May 12, 2013, 05:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 14, 2013, 04:40:24 PM
The Spanish and French don't want to encourage their Basque and Catalonian regions to separate by making it look pain free, and I'm sure there are a few other countries with similar troublesome regions.

It is Europe.  I am sure all of them do...ok maybe not Luxembourg or Malta.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2013, 04:41:32 PMIt is Europe.  I am sure all of them do...ok maybe not Luxembourg or Malta.

Scandinavia do not have any, to my knowledge.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 14, 2013, 04:45:50 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2013, 04:41:32 PMIt is Europe.  I am sure all of them do...ok maybe not Luxembourg or Malta.

Eh it seems like Denmark's numerous possessions are desperate to leave if only they were economically and politically viable.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2013, 04:49:14 PM
Eh it seems like Denmark's numerous possessions are desperate to leave if only they were economically and politically viable.

Definitely. The difference is they're welcome to do so, if they're so inclined. This is different than the French and Spanish approaches to, say, the Basques.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2013, 03:28:00 PM
Hrm.  I guess my feeling was they were a more respectable and mainstream version of the BNP.
Not at all. They're a respectable party - about as extreme as a respectable party can get.

I'm not sure Marti was ever an Anglophile if he's doubting it having discovered that the English don't like continentals :lol:

Also why that'd make him start liking France is a bit odd, given the showing of the FN in every election.

Edit: Also I loved this from the Pew report on the EU as the sick man of Europe:

Italy, France and Poland are particular favourites
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

The French are both the most and least arrogant.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 14, 2013, 08:47:30 PM

I'm a bit perplexed by that one as well.  It's nice to see the Brits still despise the French, and the French really don't seem to care.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 14, 2013, 08:47:30 PM

The only country that thinks the French are the least arrogant is France. :contract:

Actually that whole list is mostly countries voting for themselves.

So is the Most Compassionate list.

CountDeMoney

Germany:  Most Trustworthy, Least Compassionate.

That's both disconcerting and historical.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 14, 2013, 05:39:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2013, 04:49:14 PM

Definitely. The difference is they're welcome to do so, if they're so inclined. This is different than the French and Spanish approaches to, say, the Basques.

The smilarity is they are part of a perfectly fine country and desperately want to separate for no reason and in service of no other interest than nationalist douchebaggery.

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2013, 09:48:58 PM
Germany:  Most Trustworthy, Least Compassionate.

That's both disconcerting and historical.

You always know where you stand in Germany.
and the horse you rode in on

Barrister

I remember a dude over at Paradox that was supporting separatism for some region of Sweden for the longest time...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2013, 12:18:14 AMI remember a dude over at Paradox that was supporting separatism for some region of Sweden for the longest time...

A solitary lettowist does not make it a significant issue.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2013, 12:18:14 AM

I remember a dude over at Paradox that was supporting separatism for some region of Sweden for the longest time...

If there is a place in Europe, someone wants it to be it's own country.  The ones you really have to watch out for is the ones that want to combine a bunch of countries.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Maybe this is them.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scania_Party  Sounds like a toothless bunch of crypto-Nazis.