And we're back!

Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2013, 05:47:22 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 21, 2013, 05:45:26 PM
You do not?  I gave you a list of places attacked in the last ten years.  Are you in favor of withdrawing from those?  If so, how long?

I feel like I'm trapped in Kafka novel in which I'm asked a question, I answer it, then a while later asked the same question again.  For 22 chapters.

No Yi, you have not.  I know of no such post where you state whether or not you would withdraw from the places I listed or how long a withdrawal will last.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on May 21, 2013, 05:47:55 PM
On the subject of the IRS thing - it seems a little silly for the GOP to go all bonkers on it being a scandal and a cover-up when it wasn't covered up at all. I mean, Darrell Issa knew back in 2012 - http://www.politicususa.com/republicans-suggested-irs-cover-up-turns-darrell-issa-knew-2012.html

What can do you expect from a convict?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2013, 04:22:20 PM
The question is not whether they can be attacked; diplomats *can* be attacked just about anywhere in the world.  The question is whether the host country can provide a reasonable degree of security.  If they cannot, then the question becomes whether we can provide a reasonable degree of security using our own resouces, as we have been doing in Iraq and Afghanistan.

@Raz.  Page 37 default, 1st post.

Razgovory

The question is not whether they can be attacked; diplomats *can* be attacked just about anywhere in the world.  The question is whether the host country can provide a reasonable degree of security.  If they cannot, then the question becomes whether we can provide a reasonable degree of security using our own resouces, as we have been doing in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Is this the correct one?  If so, you did not answer my question.  This is called a dodge.  You can't state you answered it by starting of with "the question is not..."  This does not answer whether or not we should leave those countries and using the example of Iraq and Afghanistan is irrelevant.  The US did not occupy either country because it's embassy was vulnerable.  It's not reasonable to have 70,000 soldiers in every country the US wishes to do business with but can't rely on local security.

derspiess

Pretty apt analogy, Yi. Arguing with Raz is very much like a Kafka novel.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Well, I'm not as brilliant as Kafka, but I do try to make you understand the absurdities of your arguments.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on May 21, 2013, 05:52:29 PM
On Benghazi, I seem to recall that last week there were some bits about the big revelatory emails that were the big thing in cover up turned out to have been altered by GOP spin people prior to release. Is that already factored into your current analysis of the situation, Yi and 11B4V - and if so, to what degree does it matter?

Glad you mentioned that.  Reminded me of something I forgot to post earlier.  Three more Pinocchios for your side!  :lol:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/the-white-house-claim-of-doctored-e-mails-to-smear-the-president/2013/05/20/a23343b6-c19e-11e2-8bd8-2788030e6b44_blog.html
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 21, 2013, 06:44:56 PM
Well, I'm not as brilliant as Kafka, but I do try to make you understand the absurdities of your arguments.

Nobody said you're Kafka.  Just Kafkaesque-- i.e., like something out of his novels.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2013, 02:53:46 PM
But heaven forbid we dare criticize the current administration.

That Sounds Familiar, 9/11/01--5/1/03

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 21, 2013, 06:47:10 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2013, 02:53:46 PM
But heaven forbid we dare criticize the current administration.

That Sounds Familiar, 9/11/01--5/1/03

:yawn:

CountDeMoney

derspiess

CountDeMoney

Not back then it wasn't.  :P  Don't play dumb.  You're not as good at it as Raz.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 21, 2013, 06:19:00 PM
Is this the correct one?  If so, you did not answer my question.  This is called a dodge.  You can't state you answered it by starting of with "the question is not..."  This does not answer whether or not we should leave those countries and using the example of Iraq and Afghanistan is irrelevant.  The US did not occupy either country because it's embassy was vulnerable.  It's not reasonable to have 70,000 soldiers in every country the US wishes to do business with but can't rely on local security.

It's not a dodge.  It's pointing out that the criteria you are using is not relevant.  We should not pull out of countries where we have been attacked in the past.  We should not pull out of countries where we can be attacked in the future.  We should pull out of countries where there's a good chance we will be attacked and the local security services can't be counted on to protect us.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2013, 06:45:51 PM
Three more Pinocchios for your side

Gepetto has a good fair labor practices lawsuit against WaPo . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson