Battle of the Nations - Live steel fighting

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 08:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

You know that they're wearing pretty heavy plate metal around their necks, don't you?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Jaron

People die playing every sport. ;)

I think its an acceptable risk.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 01:07:51 PM
This is going to be a good fight. Poland vs Belarus

Bel-A-RUS! Bel-A-RUS!

Are you cheering for Belarus because of Marty's information that the Poles are somewhat reactionary? I believe Marty, but suspect many of other Eastern Europeans are even worse.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on May 12, 2013, 08:52:42 AM
You know that they're wearing pretty heavy plate metal around their necks, don't you?

Of course, they are wearing heavy plate all over - that is kind of necessary because they are hitting each with heavy steel swords and the like.

If you really think that a helmet is anything like a sure way to protect you from having your brain concused and swelled up until you die when someone takes an overhand swing at your cranium, you are, well, wrong.

It is just a matter of time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Liep

Apparently there'll be qualification for the Danish team in Battle of Nations during Pentecost in a park not far from here. It's combined with the Copenhagen Medieval Fair.

http://kmm.dk/?lang=en

Should be fun.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on May 12, 2013, 11:18:54 PM
Of course, they are wearing heavy plate all over - that is kind of necessary because they are hitting each with heavy steel swords and the like.

If you really think that a helmet is anything like a sure way to protect you from having your brain concused and swelled up until you die when someone takes an overhand swing at your cranium, you are, well, wrong.

No, that I can see, but you specifically mentioned the neck. I'd say that the neck is the most protected part of their bodies. Concussions aren't uncommon in this game, however, and yes, it will be that which kills them, should it happen.

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on May 13, 2013, 10:09:59 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 12, 2013, 11:18:54 PM

No, that I can see, but you specifically mentioned the neck. I'd say that the neck is the most protected part of their bodies. Concussions aren't uncommon in this game, however, and yes, it will be that which kills them, should it happen.

Well, I don't think we need to limit the chances of serious death to one area. The neck is very heavil protected precisely because it is such a vulnerable area. But that protection hardly guaratees anything - I cannot imagine enough armor that is actually wearable by a human that a over hand swing with even a dull bastard sword to the neck is going to have a decent chance of crushing some vertebrae, for example.

Of course, that is also why blows to the neck are illegal - if the armor guaranteed safety, you would not need to make those blows illegal. But making the blow illegal won't stop it from happening, just decrease the incidence rate. When it does happen though, either becuase someone is breaking the rules or simply swinging at a point that was NOT their neck when the swing started, but IS their neck now, the result will be a devastating injury.

Not saying they should or should not be doing this, just that I don't think it will last long. Someone is going to get killed, and that will be that.

0 rows returned

Berkut

I mean, I could imagine more beyond the neck and head - the groin, for example. Femoral artery. Broken femur can be deadly even.

0 rows returned

merithyn

There is that potential, yes. Luckily, these guys are well-trained, well-armored, and incredibly careful in order to minimize the risk. 

I would guess that their greatest risk is recurring concussions, much like in boxing.

Berkut

"Incredibly careful"? Are you watching the same videos I am watching?

They are grown men hitting each other as hard they can with swords. I appreciate that they are in theory very careful, and the system is setup such that they are trying to minimze risk as much as possible, but at the end of the day, they are grown men hitting each other with swords. The outcome is inevitable.

I would guess recurring concussions are not a risk, they are the point. Much like in boxing, where the point is to beat your opponent in the head until they collapse, saying that their is a risk of concussion is like saying their is a risk of someone getting shot when you point a gun at them and pull the trigger.

0 rows returned

lustindarkness

I enjoy watching many sports that can and do result in concussions. At least this one they look cool as hell in the process. :) I hope no one ever gets seriously hurt, but like berkie says, its almost guaranteed to happen.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Berkut

Yeah, it is damn cool.

My thought process that led to me thinking about how likely someone was going to get killed went like this:

Wow, those guys are really going at it! They aren't holding back or anything, they are really hitting each other as hard as they can.
That guys just made a nice move - several overhand strokes at the dudes head, got his shield up, then attacked his leg.
Damn, he is really hitting him really fucking hard.
I don't think I would be good at this - I would be too worried about hurting my opponent to go after them in the manner necessary to really be good at it...
But these guys really look like they are trying to kill each other.
Well, duh, they are engaged in a sport that directly simulates lethal combat, and they are doing so where the measure of winning it to actually hurt the opponent, not score "points".
Someone is so going to get killed.

This isn't fencing (which is also insanely cool, imo). They are not engaged in a sport that is styalized off of combat. They are engaged in actual combat, but with intentionally degraded weapons and some rules to try to avoid the more obviously dangerous strikes. But otherwise, they are trying to do basically the exact same thing two people who are honestly trying to kill one another are doing.

0 rows returned

merithyn

:mellow:

I'm well-aware. Thanks. In fact, I'm pretty sure everyone who participates is well-aware.

11B4V

QuoteSomeone is so going to get killed.

Only a matter of time. It'll be fun to watch while it lasts.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2013, 10:20:21 AM
Not saying they should or should not be doing this, just that I don't think it will last long. Someone is going to get killed, and that will be that.

I don't know...other countries tend to be more flexible when it comes to letting people do dangerous activities. Considering this seems to center on Eastern Europe, I don't think the occassional death will necessarily stop things.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014